Thread: Need advice - TC Cortina wiper motor

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Ford Cortina TC XLE

Default Need advice - TC Cortina wiper motor

Hi

My 10/1972 TC Cortina is at the mechanics needing a new wiper motor.
    I am looking on ebay to see what I can purchase. They have sourced one from a wreckers but the wreckers of course will be charging to take it out and they've advised that there is no guarantee that the wipers will park when switched off. Now I see that as not being a major concern based on the fact I haven't had any wipers working for months but if I am searching on ebay or online I wanted advice as to exactly what is the correct wiper motor to purchase.

Ebay links below.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-cor....c100011.m1850

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Cor...IAAOSw3ydV5OOM

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CORTINA-...QAAOSwLaZZsPpH

The mechanic has mentioned Preslite or Lucas brands but I think I might be lucky to get anything with scarcity of parts. With the ebay links I'm not experienced in actually knowing if they are the right motor for a TC.
    I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has had to replace their TC or TD wiper motor and any advice on what I need to look for would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by Karin B; 31-01-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Ride
    XR8XR6 cortinas more

Default Re: Need advice - TC Cortina wiper motor

TC wiper motors are for TC TD are different

the washer pumps on these motors are always dead but the motors still work you can by pass it to run a aftermarket one easy enough but

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Ford Cortina TC XLE

Quote Originally Posted by EBXR82BEE View Post
    TC wiper motors are for TC TD are different

the washer pumps on these motors are always dead but the motors still work you can by pass it to run a aftermarket one easy enough but
    Thanks for the advice.

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Hi Karin, like Dave says TC/TD motors are all good. I ditched the wiper washer and installed an after mkt, much better pressure and less hassle with the plumbing. I did use a ford XF but as I said I had to modify the wiring for the washers. Not sure if a new motor is any better than the wreckers my wipers are still not very good and I think that's because of the 50 year old wiper linkages. There are quite a few on eVilBay take your pick just make sure it suits a MK3 TC/TD. This guy is not cheap and I would not normally recommend him but you do not have much choice your options are limited if you want a Cortina motor.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TC-TD-MK...AAAOSw~oFXLyMR
    Last edited by TDCorty; 07-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Ford Cortina TC XLE

Quote Originally Posted by TDCorty View Post
    Hi Karin, like Dave says TC/TD motors are all good. I ditched the wiper washer and installed an after mkt, much better pressure and less hassle with the plumbing. I did use a ford XF but as I said I had to modify the wiring for the washers. Not sure if a new motor is any better than the wreckers my wipers are still not very good and I think that's because of the 50 year old wiper linkages. There are quite a few on eVilBay take your pick just make sure it suits a MK3 TC/TD. This guy is not cheap and I would not normally recommend him but you do not have much choice your options are limited if you want a Cortina motor.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TC-TD-MK...AAAOSw~oFXLyMR

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for the future. I ended up getting an old wiper motor from a wreckers. Cost me $150- and seems to be working well for now.
    The prices on eVilBay are astounding. I don't mind someone making a profit but it's becoming unaffordable to get original parts.
    Last edited by Karin B; 11-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Quote Originally Posted by Karin B View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for the future. I ended up getting an old wiper motor from a wreckers. Cost me $150- and seems to be working well for now.
    The prices on eVilBay are astounding. I don't mind someone making a profit but it's becoming unaffordable to get original parts.
    Yeah, it's a spare part shop in WA that has a lot of 70s/80s NOS Cortina parts never sold them then and won't sell too many now at those prices. Good to hear you got it sorted.

Thread Information