Thread: My new Fiesta Zetec

Ride
    Ford Fiesta Zetec

Talking My new Fiesta Zetec

Hi all, I bought my first ever new car a Ford Fiesta Zetec 3 months ago and I am having a couple issues with it that I don't like much and I wondered if I can ask if anyone else has these issues too.
    First the noises, the car has quite loud at the engine when idling (fan belt?) when it gets warm.
    Secondly when I depress the clutch in it squeaks until I release it again, I don't like undue noises in a car, I think it should be a quite as possible especially with it being a brand new car with todays technology. My last car was a 13 year old Rav 4 that I had from it being 6 months old, and it was so quite.
    Other thing is when the automatic drivers window goes down it clunks loudly when it gets to the bottom, the window for the first month didn't go down automatically but now it does, it seems to have fixed itself, is that clunking normal for this car?
    I also think the paint hasn't been applied very good it has a mottled/pitted surface which I think should be a nice and smooth finish.

Anyway these are my main concerns, if you could answer them I would be grateful.

thanks

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nil

Default Re: My new Fiesta Zetec

Hello and I hope you enjoy your Fiesta for years to come.. apart from these problems noted

What do you mean about your first noise? Ok, so it is warm and the engine is loud when idling. Do you get increased RPM on the tacho.. does it fluctuate? If it fluctuates, do you probably looking at an air leak ( most common PCV is gone ) or if not then might be an exhaust leak. Not sure though because I need more information.

Just need to lubricate the clutch cable.. I'm pretty sure these models are cable rather than hydraulic; no biggie.

The drivers window slides might be worn that is what is making that clunking.. put the window up to its maximum height then bring it down with 'auto' function BUT keep an eye on the window slide guide as that may be getting pushed out of it's position when window is lowered. I had one of those in the shop and it was the 'window slide guide' catching.

Goodluck.

Ride
    Ford Fiesta Zetec

Thanks for replying. This is a brand new car I bought at the end of March this year and I am quite surprised with all these things going wrong, I pointed them out to the Ford Service people on its first 3,000km service last week and they said that it was "supposed to sound like that" even the window was normal.

So to answer your question, the engine is just idling, no revving, and no fluctuation.

How do I persuade them the clutch needs lubricating when they say theres nothing wrong?

The window cant be worn its only 5 month old, weird.

I even pointed out the amount of rust on the brakes and they said that was normal too, I have been driving for over 30 years and never had any of these things go wrong on any cars I have had. Oh and the "M" button doesn't work on the steering wheel either, which I now have to take back into the dealer to get them to fix another one, not a good start eh?

I will never buy a Ford car again, the dealer was rude and the after sales were terrible, even the main head office don't ever return your calls or emails and they don't even call you back when you are honest with bad feedback forms, Rule one of business always make the customer happy and follow up bad feedback.

thanks again.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nil

Grr.. that is really ****ty. Look some dealers just don't care, I'll be honest about it - we hear it all the time. Where are you located?

About that noise.. when you bring it in for the "M" button on the steering wheel, get the foreman to roadtest with you. Request the foreman; they are more experienced and if they hear the noise then you SHOULD be sure that they will fix it.

Not the window itself but the slide guide.. I had a car like that and by checking if the slide guide would move out of place by watching the strip where the window slides down past, you will know if that is a problem or not. Is it still making the clunking noise? If not, they can't do anything about that but make sure they note it down on the repair order to check it out so you can have proof that they said 'all is okay'.

The rust on the brakes MAY be normal as the vehicle could have been sitting there a little while. I am not sure of how long it was sitting there but a few good runs with some medium - hard applications of the brake should get rid of that otherwise .. just keep harassing them about it.
    Call Ford Customer Care line and make a formal complaint. Btw may I ask which dealership you are taking your vehicle to?

Once again with the clutch issue, get the foreman to check that and point it out. I don't see why it is a big issue for them to do anything about a damn squeaky clutch cable.

Keep in touch

Ride
    Ford Fiesta Zetec

Its so nice to hear that it not me who is being pedantic about it because thats how they made me feel (a woman too heaven forbid I should know anything about cars), I belive a car shouldn't make odd noises unless it needs to, I even played a recording of the clutch and the engine noise on my iphone but he wasn't convinced, oh and I think he was the foreman too.

I bought the car from ELN Ford on the Central Coast it was a lesser of two evils as the dealer in Gosford didn't want to even show me the car when I went into theirs, they were closing in 10 minutes and they had locked the car door, i didn't want to test drive it just sit an have a look, but no can't do that if its already locked, not to mention the lad with the keys was standing behind me!

The rust isn't on the brake pads, its on the surrounds, they told me this was normal too, but its so ugly caked in rust its very unsightly and I have never seen it even on my 13 year old Rav. I had a electronic rust inhibitor fitted so I thought that meant I wouldn't get rust on the car but apparently it doesn't work on the brakes.

Thanks for replying Casanova garage (?) great name!!

Ride
    Focus LW2

The Fiesta has a hydraulic clutch no cable. You need to lube the clutch pedal pivot and return spring.

Hope this helps, Some Ford dealers really suck. They need to lift their game re customer service.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nil

Ahh the newer models are hydraulic are they.. well in all cases, lubrication is required.

Yeah I understand that the rust is on the inner part of the disc where it isn't contacted at all by any friction material and through transit these will rust up.. nothing a quick hand sand won't fix. Just keep complaining. Yes it is irritating looking at it but it doesn't do any bad for the car but as an aesthetic issue I would definitely bring this up.

Up the northern coast of NSW it may be abit hard because they know that there are few and far between in regards for Ford dealers. Just ring up and speak to their service mananger who SHOULD be able to get the other staff to do SOMETHING otherwise calling up head office and making an official complaint. It is all about persistence it seems.

Ride
    Focus LW2

All Fiesta sold in OZ WP to current WT have had hydraulic clutches. It's easy to miss though as they don't have a separate reservoir, but instead the brake fluid reservoir is used for both.

Ride
    Ford Fiesta Zetec

Central Coast not far from Sydney about 1.5hrs drive.

Thanks for answering, I will print it out and take it in when I get the "M" button fixed. Ill let you know how it all goes.

Thanks all.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nil

No Central Coast isn't too far from Sydney at all.

Hmm I remember changing a clutch cable for an early model Fiesta maybe around the ~2000, could have been earlier though.

Well goodluck to you and keep us updated on how you go

Ride
    Focus LW2

Your confusing the Festiva with the Fiesta lol, The first Fiesta WP went on sale here late 2004.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nil

Moggie how are you going with your Fiesta?

Ride
    Ford Fiesta Zetec

Hi there, I haven't taken it in yet, every time I try they cant do it or I can't go, I can only go if I can do something else at the same time they are fixing it, I have a list that they can look at from your comments.

thanks

Ride
    Ford F150

Any pics of your Fiesta :P

Ride
    Ford Fiesta Zetec

Hi there Casanova, well I said I would keep you updated so here it is.
    I took it in finally last week and they had it for a day, I gave them the list of things wrong again with the comments from you about the window and the noises. both were classed a "normal" operation even though several years of the window doing that wont help the mechanism inside the door much!

The "M" switch they were replacing that didn't work, they replaced but it still doesn't work, so yet again it needs to go back in. I think I will take its to the dealer in Gosford this time.

What a sad state of affairs. But they did fix the hand brake which was very high and you needed to lift yourself up from the seat to apply it.

One of the problems I had with the track not displaying which he blamed on the iPhone as it was an Apple product and the car is using Microsoft software was fixed by them "replacing the M switch" though!! so that good.

The wobbly driver wiper was normal too apparently.

So there you have it, back I go and see if it can be all fixed before the first year of the vehicle life.

Catch ya

Thread Information