Thread: Jaguar XF upgrade, force fed 4 and 6 cylinders and AWD

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Default Jaguar XF upgrade, force fed 4 and 6 cylinders and AWD

In the US now Jaguar have released the Supercharged 3.0 V6 and the 2.0 4 turbo, from Ford as in the Falcon in the XF, which finally puts the car, which I think looks great since the facelift, right head to head with the Germans.

Now all of them have pretty much the same specs:
    Audi A6: 2.0t FWD, 3.0Sc AWD
    BMW 528i/x 2.0t R/AWD
    BMW 535i/x 3.0t R/AWD
    Benz E350 3.5 NA R/AWD
    Jaguar XF 2.0t RWD, 3.0sc R/AWD

All of a sudden now they are right up there. The 2.0t is 0-60mph in 7.5 secs: so about 7.7 for the 0-100 which is in line with the BMW and Audi, and the 3.0 is 0-100 in 5.9 for the RWD but strangely slower for the AWD which is listed at 0-60 in 6.1 which means around 6.3 (nothing official in kph on the site except the UK site only for the RWD 3.0) so it's pretty competitive and puts the E class to the back of the pack.

0-60 mph figures from US
    Audi A6 3.0 TFSI quattro: 5.2 secs
    BMW 535i: 5.7 secs
    Jaguar XF: 5.7 secs
    Benz E350: 6.5 secs

Means also now Benz is the only one not offering a force fed 4 in the US in that category and is the slowest of the bunch, by quite a way which is symptomatic of Benz Worldwide performance as Audi and BMW race off in numbers for 1-2 position in the Luxury Market and they are now completely out of the hunt.

Question is can Jaguar catch them. Technically I think they can. The car looks good, the quality seems to be OK based on consumer reports and so on (JD Power is not exactly gospel but the trend is that customers from Jaguar are no longer complaining all the time) and it seems that finally they are getting the product on the road that can help them come up.

Good on them! If they can get their distribution concept up to the level of the Germans, perhaps with MB waining the chances are the XF may be the first Jaguar product now to really give the others a scare and start to break the German domination of the segment.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Default Re: Jaguar XF upgrade, force fed 4 and 6 cylinders and AWD

Great to see them continuing the progress.

Imagine if they'd stared on this track 20 years ago....,
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by docjames View Post
    Great to see them continuing the progress.

Imagine if they'd stared on this track 20 years ago....,
    I didn't think at the time the S-type and the previous XJ were that bad things, given the time, they just weren't marketed properly (by that I mean the whole science of marketing: Dealers, Customer Service, etc...) and they didn't do enough to keep the cars competitive as the Germans got more and more technologically advanced and faster they stood still. It's almost like they tried, then stopped, whether that was all related to Jac Nasser's sacking and a push to rid themselves of everything he did?

Now they are on the road again time will tell if they can compete. Question is how they can fund their technology: Can see Benz slipping behind and racing to form partnerships with the likes of Nissan, BMW pushing into Front Wheel Drive Cars now to benefit from the Mini + PSA connection and Audi naturally with the Group. Tata's too far from Jaguar to make the most of any tech sharing so you'd wonder where from here. If I were @ Tata I'd look at buying something like Citroen or Alfa Romeo and de-spec the brand and create a Volkswagen level trickle effect from JLR...

But managing that... took VW 20 years to work it out.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve View Post
    I didn't think at the time the S-type and the previous XJ were that bad things, given the time, they just weren't marketed properly (by that I mean the whole science of marketing: Dealers, Customer Service, etc...) and they didn't do enough to keep the cars competitive as the Germans got more and more technologically advanced and faster they stood still. It's almost like they tried, then stopped, whether that was all related to Jac Nasser's sacking and a push to rid themselves of everything he did?

Now they are on the road again time will tell if they can compete. Question is how they can fund their technology: Can see Benz slipping behind and racing to form partnerships with the likes of Nissan, BMW pushing into Front Wheel Drive Cars now to benefit from the Mini + PSA connection and Audi naturally with the Group. Tata's too far from Jaguar to make the most of any tech sharing so you'd wonder where from here. If I were @ Tata I'd look at buying something like Citroen or Alfa Romeo and de-spec the brand and create a Volkswagen level trickle effect from JLR...

But managing that... took VW 20 years to work it out.
    The S was far from class leading when it was released. Then it never updated. X-type was a bit the same - just competitive when released but never properly progressed (due to lack of funds it would seem).

The S and the XJ suffered from looking like a 40yo Jag - what 35-50yo wanted to buy a car that looked like their grandpa's! The new models look much more modern, yet still have appeal for the 60+ group living off past Jaguar heroics.
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Thread Information