Thread: Mk 1 Zephyr Owner from New Zealand.

Ride
    mk 1 Zephyr

Default Mk 1 Zephyr Owner from New Zealand.

Hey guys, Ive stumbled across this site as I am a mk1 owner and I need some help!
    Ive got a mk1 with mk3 running gear, motor, box, diff etc. Now its starting to make some horrible noises from the trans, its Auto! It sounds to me to be the the clutches, it makes the noise when changing into second and third. Finding another auto box is near impossible over here and obviously I will have a better Idea of the problem when its out which I will be doing this weekend, But I did have a thought, I also own a VH Valiant which I have just re-powered with a 318 so I have the 245 out and the borg warner 35, now I know that trans has been rebuilt and its mint, Would that work in the zeph being the same box or will there be too many differences with the splines etc? Im still only learning im 22 and this has been a teach myself thing in the garage after work, so some help would be much appreciated. Heres some pictures of the old girl:

Last edited by mk1zeph; 19-04-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

Default Re: Mk 1 Zephyr Owner from New Zealand.

Umm, theoretically if it already has a BW35 then the other should go in as long as you change the front housing to suit as well. BW wouldn't have manufacture three different boxes to fit the varying makers cars, just the front housing's for each engine it was to be fitted to. I would be surprised if it didn't work, but at the same time you should still be able to get the old gearbox fixed if it doesn't. You should also be able to pick up a manual now that will give a how to fix on most of those older Ford auto's, and try for yourself if you want.

Ride
    mk 1 Zephyr

Do you think the internal ratio's will be quite different?

Ride
    24" hotfoot cruiser

i don't know if there ratio's would be different or not. when you drop the trans out of the Zeph try the tail shaft from it in the trans on the 245, if it fits, i'd say everything else should be the same, e.g. the torque converter bolt pattern.

if it happens to be different and cannot be used in the Zeph, try finding a BW40 out of an XF, they pretty much interchange with the BW35 i think, been a while since i played with the 35/40. but i do know the 40 and single rail share the same output shaft size/spline and cross members. and same tail shaft length.

if the BW40 doesn't share the same spline as the 35 i would imagine the uni size would be the same so you can use the 40 yoke on the 35 tail shaft.

oh and you only being 22 and have a shed of such sweet rides.... only gives us another reason to hate the Kiwi's...... LOL you know we just jealous !! :P
    plasma cutter + TIG + 2k paint= to infinity and beyond!

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

Yeah, I can't tell you for sure without doing some more research myself and access to the building blocks for that thought is a bit over 400km's away. It's worth the experiment to find out, if it doesn't seem right then a BW35 rebuild should still be possible - I can still get all of the bits to do a C4 or an FMX so why not?

Thread Information