Thread: EF smartlock dilemma

Ride
    ef falcon xr6 s/w

Unhappy EF smartlock dilemma

Hi guys,can anybody cast ANY light on a problem i have with my ef xr6.It has an intermittent though now frequent thing of not starting,much like an inhibitor switch problem.The fuel pump starts up,theres ignition lights but no go to the starter.This all seemed to begin when the interior light blew.They have all been replaced,so too the fuses,including the big ones under the bonnet.The plug in computer says everythings fine besides the "economy" light on the dash and the starter motor and inhibitor switch appear fine.I have unfortunately had to circumvent the starter with a wire to enable the car to start when it does it's "little thing".PLEASE HELP,it's really getting frustrating.

Ride
    98 ELFairmont,94 LTD

Default Re: EF smartlock dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by khylerin View Post
    Hi guys,can anybody cast ANY light on a problem i have with my ef xr6.It has an intermittent though now frequent thing of not starting,much like an inhibitor switch problem.The fuel pump starts up,theres ignition lights but no go to the starter.This all seemed to begin when the interior light blew.They have all been replaced,so too the fuses,including the big ones under the bonnet.The plug in computer says everythings fine besides the "economy" light on the dash and the starter motor and inhibitor switch appear fine.I have unfortunately had to circumvent the starter with a wire to enable the car to start when it does it's "little thing".PLEASE HELP,it's really getting frustrating.
    I had a similar problem with my ED and turned out to be the "Smart Lock" module, replaced it and all went fine. Was a bugger to find as the smart lock warning light operated as normal.
    Check it out anyway, you never know, and at least you can rule it out.

Cheers
    Julian

Forum Regular
    Ride
    1995 LTD

One way to get it going is to gently tap the left side of the dash just near your left knee while the key is in the start position.

Kris

Forum Regular
    Ride
    ba fairmont ghia

Thumbs up Re: EF smartlock dilemma

We had this precise problem with an EF falcon. It would start when cold, but once it warmed up - forget it.

Tried a few remedies including changing the body control module, all to no avail. Got to thinking about it over a few weeks , and then figured it could ONLY be the body control module. So i contacted Injectronics ( www.injectronics.com.au ). They referred me to their South Aust agents - CARLEC. I purchased a new module for about $300. They delivered the new module next day. In the package there were installation instructions. I immediately realised what was wrong!

It is not a matter of just fitting another module and then starting the car. There was a process of turning the ignition on for about half an hour, and then there was a clicking of the smartlock which indicates that the codes are downloading from the computer. Then it was a matter of turning the ignition off and then on and starting the car. This explanation may not be totally correct - as it was a while back and i do not recall the exact procedure.

My point is this - It is not a matter of just replacing the module - it must be allowed to download the codes in order to operate correctly. After we did this it was problem solved!

Rocket.

Ride
    EL Fairmont Wagon 6c

Similar problem on my EL last year. Turned out to be the neutral switch under the gear selector. Full of muck , it would work when you gave the area a bit of a knock. Similar symptom to the smartlock module, just a cleanout or replacement needed.

Thread Information