Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Osborne to resign

Forum Regular

Thumbs down Bill Osborne to resign

I can't say how I came to access this information, but I can confirm it is true and that he will be returning to the USA in a position outside of the automotive industry and that it will be effective September.

I for one are very dissapointed as I thought he was doing a great job and steering the ship well

Watch this space!

Ride
    Aprilia SR50R, Jeep

Default Re: Bill Osborne to resign

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=56377

Ford Australia boss Bill Osborne has resigned suddenly, less than 24 hours after the company announced it would cut 350 jobs.

Outgoing Ford Australia president Bill Osborne
    Ford Australia has been dealt another blow with the shock resignation of its newly appointed president Bill Osborne after just six months into the role.

Osborne, who previously headed up Ford of Canada, will leave the company almost immediately to take up a role outside the automotive industry in North America.

"The decision I made is a very personal one," said Osborne. "It in no way reflects dissatisfaction with Ford and doesn’t reflective ongoing confidence in the company. I can’t tell you how difficult this decision is. This is a fantastic company. I retain 100 per cent confidence in Ford Australia."

The shock announcement came less than 24 hours after Ford announced it would cut 350 workers from its Broadmeadows and Geelong plants and scale back production of its all-new FG Falcon due to soft sales and the worsening economic climate.

Osborne will head back to the US to take up a position as CEO of "an independent company", something he says has been a lifelong dream.

“An opportunity has come my way sooner than I expected I felt I had to take that opportunity now," said Osborne, who will leave the automotive industry after 31 years. "It’s just unfortunate that it comes at a time of great challenges in the industry but in no way reflects those challenges."

Osborne says he is "quite saddened to be leaving Ford of Australia" but says there is a "good strong team in place and strong future".

In a brief statement issued this afternoon Ford Motor Company executive vice president of Asia Pacific and Africa, John Parker, says a replacement for Osborne will be announced “in due course”.

"Bill has made significant contributions during his career with Ford Motor Company, and we wish him and his family all the best with his future endeavour," Parker says in the statement.

"Ford Australia will continue to play a vital role in the future success of Ford Motor Company and within the Asia Pacific and Africa region, with greater input and alignment across all areas of the business, particularly product development, information technology, purchasing and marketing and sales," he says.

Osborne came to Ford at a difficult time for the company, which has been battered by poor sales of its bread and butter cars, the Falcon and Territory.

Sales of large Australian-made cars have struggled in recent years due to a number of factors. The strong Australian dollar and implementation of a free trade agreement has made imported vehicles more attractive. More recently, rising fuel prices has encouraged buyers into smaller, more effecient vehicles.

Osborne's imminent resignation is the latest in a string of changes at the top of Ford and Holden.

Holden has had three managing directors in the last two years.

2008 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door V6 Petrol., 2006 BF Falcon XT Sedan, 2007 Aprilia SR50 R Factory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride
    2014 VF SS Storm

How do we interpret this? Rats abandoning a sinking ship? How do you get anywhere when your management keeps changing all the bloody time?
    You better take care of me Lord! If you don't, you're gonna have me on your hands!

Hunter S. Thompson

Ride
    Territory Ghia

Quote Originally Posted by turbo nick View Post
    How do we interpret this? Rats abandoning a sinking ship? How do you get anywhere when your management keeps changing all the bloody time?
    Yup. I have a feeling Broady has lost Focus production.

If so, that's the ball game.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Ride
    AU wagon

Quote Originally Posted by XR4568 View Post
    I can't say how I came to access this information!
    l can say where l heard this news.lts been flashed on the radio for most of today.
    But jokes aside,future is looking a bit dim.Globalisation seems to be the demise of a lot of big companys these days.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Ford Australia Statement

John Parker, Ford Motor Company Executive Vice President of Asia Pacific and Africa, today announced that Ford Australia President Bill Osborne has elected to leave the company, effective September.
    Osborne will relocate back to North America to take up a position outside the automotive industry. His replacement will be announced in due course.
    "Bill has made significant contributions during his career with Ford Motor Company, and we wish him and his family all the best with his future endeavour," said Parker.
    "Ford Australia will continue to play a vital role in the future success of Ford Motor Company and within the Asia Pacific and Africa region, with greater input and alignment across all areas of the business, particularly product development, information technology, purchasing and marketing and sales," added Parker.
    I think you all may be reading into it a little too much. It could be something as simple as his family not fitting into Australia.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    1992 Eb S pack

Just read the news on caradvice then, very big shock. After all the ideas that man had to keep ford on the ball he dissapears regardless of reason its a big loss to ford i think. Although i believe we'll still be able to keep the production of the focuses by 2011, if we dont fords future is looking pretty grim...

On the other hand makes way for a CEO who could bring some fresh new ideas to the table and help the blue boys out!

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Not sure of Ford's timing but it is flicking season at the moment.

Timing is most of the car companies have their Importer reviews in June or July, that is a trip to the board, get about 45 minutes in front of the full board and the 2ic for each board member to present what you have done, risks, chances and request support to address whatever mess you face.

Board have 5 minutes after the meeting and decide if they come and go and then it takes about a month for HR department to offer said manager an office with no phone back at HQ or 5 years salary and the opportunity to resign for personal issues and open your own Gardening Business.

It's normally a 50% thing.

Is it the right thing to do to accept a position where you take the lives of thousands of people into your hands in the big chair when you are considering leaving to sell plants (or whatever) after 6 months?

Maybe he's been given very bad news from HQ re production or maybe he's been flicked. Execs in car companies normally meet ends like Police on the ir last day on the job in Hollywood films.

Bad bad news in such a short time for the company.

Ride
    FG R6 Ute

Reading way too much into Bill Osbourne's departure, working out of FoA gives these guys
    opportunities to meet other business heads with offices in Nth America and Europe.
    Just mingling with these people is enough to inspire someone with leadership qualities.
    Last edited by JPD80; 23-08-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Reading way too much - it may be just that his family wanted to be back home.

Disappointing it happend only 6 months after arriving, but that's sometimes the way.
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by turbo nick View Post
    How do you get anywhere when your management keeps changing all the bloody time?
    This is the point, if HQ/HR or whoever make appointments which are not going to work they destroy organisations.

The reason is the good car organisations have very strong Top Management which drive the strategy and message of the company. You go through a few months acclimatisation, reprogramming strategy and then you start to implement. 3 years is a minimum.

Either someone in HR should be shot or there is something fishy. Maybe he's been sent out to come up with a strategy and couldn't do it? This just holds Ford Aus back that much further.

Why can't they find a bloody Australian to do it?

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve View Post
    This is the point, if HQ/HR or whoever make appointments which are not going to work they destroy organisations.

The reason is the good car organisations have very strong Top Management which drive the strategy and message of the company. You go through a few months acclimatisation, reprogramming strategy and then you start to implement. 3 years is a minimum.

Either someone in HR should be shot or there is something fishy. Maybe he's been sent out to come up with a strategy and couldn't do it? This just holds Ford Aus back that much further.

The good bosses all end up overseas Wizard you know that.
    Ford credits losses are more to blame than anything else on all those bad loans
    made me sell my shares a while back now. The ordinary blood
    and guts workers are getting the axe when instead I would
    be getting the SS to perform a night of the long knives
    on a bloody middle management cull and a 'Roman job' on upper management because even if
    your a white collar worker intellectual buffoonery and gross ineptitude
    should be punished with equal weight otherwise you
    have twits running your organization. The cut in workers
    here could be spent to bring Ford manufacturing facilities to
    be the latest hi-tech facilities in the world. One MD sacked
    is worth more than 50 workers. Cutting should not exclude
    any- you and I know that. Its all this anysy pansy thinking
    that has led to the current global financial meltdown.
    Marketing needs to get a real good kick in the backside.
    How come Ford ads back in the 60's had more than the
    current avante garde' snot?

My company has its own in house business to hire people.
    Asking other people what you want from a individual is
    impossible if you the individual you will work with or
    use ones talents to complete a goal. HR has its ups
    and downs thats for sure. Psychological tests have no
    guarantee of yielding the right worker as much as
    physics can tell me how I can fly. Theory can only
    go so far as actual 'real world' performance observations by
    those one will work with.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 26-08-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    Feroza, Charade 3cyl

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    Yup. I have a feeling Broady has lost Focus production.
    I was thinking exactly the same. I... wouldn't want to be the person replacing Osbourne. Any ideas who it might be?

Ride
    AUIII F/mont Ghia

Trevor Worthington for President!

(No, this is not a statement of known insider information - it's purely my opinion)
    Current car - AUIII Fairmont Ghia. Organza. Stock as a rock.
    Coming soon - ??? (but something is on order!)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect (as written by Douglas Adams)

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve View Post
    The last time we had an Aussie Prez (Uncle Geoff), Ford Aus was going great (BA Falcon, Territory, diesel Territory on the way). Pity the new American guy decided that the BA didn't really need to change for 6 years, neither the Territory and a diesel Territory wouldn't sell.
    So with an American making the decisions, we'll expect to see another Yank in charge.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    FG R6 Ute

Quote Originally Posted by PaulST View Post
    So with an American making the decisions, we'll expect to see another Yank in charge.
    Remember Alan Mulally is an outsider too, he's not adverse to putting
    the right people in the right places and yanking non performers (sorry, no pun intended ) .
    Last edited by JPD80; 23-08-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    Falcon XR6 (man)

Put an Australian at the helm, someone who knows the Australian psyche, someone with real passion for the Ford marque, someone like Geoff (rest his soul)!

Dare I say it, it looks like we are back to the AU years.

Ride
    XR6 50TH Anniversary

With morel now low in the company I wonder how much attention the workers are going to pay on the quality of the cars on the assembly line.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think another Falcon will be built in Australia if the FG fails. Ford might go the way of Nissian and Misibushi with importing cars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Focus production only ??????
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    Territory Ghia

Quote Originally Posted by docjames View Post
    Focus production only ??????
    Nope. Focus isn't going to be a money maker, just a cost fixer. You can't make a small car and turn a profit in Australia. Nissan learned that the hard way.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Ride
    ba falcon

With morale now low in the company I wonder how much attention the workers are going to pay on the quality of the cars on the assembly line.
    If my BA is anything to go by, they didn't give two hoots a long time ago.
    I used to be a strong supporter of Australian built cars and keeping our industry alive, but the sad facts are we don't cut it against imports anymore.
    I will be buying Subaru, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda next time, anything but a Ford. Especially an Aussie built Ford. Get it over with sooner rather than later and pull the pin now rather than soaking up more government assistance throwing good money after bad. Holden are slightly better in that they sell some of their big cars overseas, but really, in 5 years time there will be no Australian built cars unless there are huge changes very quickly. The only way they can be saved is if they really pull their finger out and introduce some greener, cleaner vehicles very very quickly. Osborne obviously knows something we don't - just yet. the Focus as a panacea to Ford's ills is misplaced as it is outgunned by imports - toyota's and mazdas. By 2010 who is to say it will still be around. Ford will obviously still build a small car but there are no guarantees a Focus replacement will be built here and the replacement Falcon is definitely not going to be an Australian built car.

Ride
    BF2 XR6 Ute

Quote Originally Posted by marko62 View Post
    If my BA is anything to go by, they didn't give two hoots a long time ago.
    I used to be a strong supporter of Australian built cars and keeping our industry alive, but the sad facts are we don't cut it against imports anymore.
    I will be buying Subaru, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda next time, anything but a Ford. Especially an Aussie built Ford. Get it over with sooner rather than later and pull the pin now rather than soaking up more government assistance throwing good money after bad. Holden are slightly better in that they sell some of their big cars overseas, but really, in 5 years time there will be no Australian built cars unless there are huge changes very quickly. The only way they can be saved is if they really pull their finger out and introduce some greener, cleaner vehicles very very quickly. Osborne obviously knows something we don't - just yet. the Focus as a panacea to Ford's ills is misplaced as it is outgunned by imports - toyota's and mazdas. By 2010 who is to say it will still be around. Ford will obviously still build a small car but there are no guarantees a Focus replacement will be built here and the replacement Falcon is definitely not going to be an Australian built car.
    Our auto industry brings in the second most amount of money for our economy behind minerals, develops valuable skills, employs thousands directly, and more importantly, massive amounts more indirectly. Sorry mate, but no, lets not get this over with as quickly as possible because it's too important to lose. What I don't get is why is it that other countries fight for their industries with things like tarriffs and Australia seems hell bent on killing it off. Fair dinkum, if Rudd does cut the tarriffs, he needs to be voted out asap because it will kill what ever we have left. And how does cutting tarriffs and then throwing even more money at the local three make sense???

What I'd like to know is, all the ones who complain about where our auto industry is at, how many actually drive an Australian car? I had to laugh when i was talking to one of our customers, and they drove a petrol Mondeo, and I asked why he chose that over a Falcon given they are very similar in size, and one of the reasons he threw up was fuel economy. Fair dinkum, Falcons is 10.2lt/100, where as Mondeo is 9.9lt/100 going by the stickers on the cars at Gorrells. I hope he enjoys the extra dollar or two that he saves.
    New Ride- 2007 BF MkII XR6 Ute, Breeze, Dual Zone Climate Control, Prestige Sound, Leather and Sportsbars...

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    Remember Alan Mulally is an outsider too, he's not adverse to putting
    the right people in the right places and yanking non performers (sorry, no pun intended ) .
    But he's from the aerospace field a much tougher marketplace for
    deals and contracts than automotive ever was. If he cannot change
    Ford with a new vision the long term future is not good.

It would be extremely foolish to abandon Australian manufacturing when
    you consider our build quality and efficiency is far better than most
    US facilities. Argentina once had a Falcon of its own as well

Ride
    FG R6 Ute

Quote Originally Posted by ELSpeedo View Post
    But he's from the aerospace field a much tougher marketplace for
    deals and contracts than automotive ever was. If he cannot change
    Ford with a new vision the long term future is not good.
    Have a little faith, Mulally is stemming the losses in North America and Ford is on target to
    achieve their recurring internal saving of $5 billion each year from now on.
    We are very much on the sidelines down here in Australia and that is probably a good thing,
    FoA has revenue of $3.3 billion and makes minute profit/losses depending on our fortunes.
    In the scale of a company with a revenue of $160 billion/year, that doesn't cause too many waves.

Ride
    XR6 50TH Anniversary

[
    QUOTE=marko62;277684].
    I will be buying Subaru, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda next time, anything but a Ford. Especially an Aussie built QUOTE]
    I probably will after some idiot ran a red light and hit my wife's Mazda which is getting repaired at the moment.

She hit her head on the window and hip on the side of the door in which she sustained soft tissue injury only thank god but it could have been worse so a car that is packed with safety features is my next purchase and Fuel efficient cars now is not so much on my agenda safety is and with a 5 star rating on the FG Aussie built Falcon range I will be looking hard at buying one next year.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information