Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of camera have you got?

Ride
    ED Ghia & NCII 'Lane

Default Re: What kind of camera have you got?

Well, I just updated my equipment. I now have a Pentax K20D. Fantastic for the money, and is compatable with all my old KA mount lenses.
    Trainman is
    Geek in Goth clothing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here for Photo Gallery
    Updated Frequently

Ride
    2004 XR6 5sp

I have had a Penatx K10D for the last 6mths its fantastic.

cheers

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    Nikon Coolpix 3500, it is 3.2 megepixel has 3X optical zoom and produces plenty of photo's that look like they have been taken with a small wide angle lens. As a point and shoot camera it will do until the battery wont charge anymore then I'll look at a digital SLR again and see what's around.
    OK , after making a little extra dollars for a few weeks I was shopping for an sd card for my nephews camera.
    I now have a Pentax K 200D with a 18-50mm zoom and 70-300 zoom lens (70-300 with UV filter) and an 8 Gig memory cards for less than $1000. It's a 10 M pixel and with a tripod and a few bits extra should do 98% of what I want.
    The Nikon will be given to the oldest nephew who likes taking photos but has been hampered by a point and shoot film camera for a few years and the younger bloke will get his memory card too.
    The prices have dropped on some of this stuff big time lately.
    Last edited by Redwight; 24-10-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: mistake made

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Fairmont AU, Mondeo

I realize the post's a bit old, but I'm new here.

Nikon D80. Stock zoom lens with VR, plus a 50mm lens for portraits (lets in more light). Standard flash unit.

Takes a nice photo - was looking at the Canon 400D when I got it, but went for the Nikon - only difference is that the Nikon's a bigger camera and easier to grip - more comfortable. Both are a bit on the expensive side when you put a kit togehter.

But it's fun and takes a good pic.

Ride
    1997 EL XR6 MANUAL

I got my Pentax K100D super just over a year ago, its only 6 Mega pixel, but still takes an alright shot
    I have a Sigma 18-50mm and some older 70-210mm that was Dad's for his film Pentax's

heres some of my work.
    http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...ad.php?t=39219
    Last edited by Coyote mk3; 16-08-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Ride
    2008 MA Mondeo XR5

I've got a Canon 400D DSLR, a Canon Powershot A650IS and a Panasonic Lumix FZ7.
    2008 Ford Mondeo XR5
    Ink Blue

Banned
    Ride
    Focus

Sony Cybershot DSC T70-8.1MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

Ride
    2004 XR6 5sp

Have added a Pentax K20D 15mp with heaps of old manual lenses and a few new ones

cheers

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

I thought I'd just chuck a quick note in here for anyone that is looking for a new camera. I have noticed there is a range of faster CF memory cards coming out now; the current fastest being 300 kB\s. This means those of you with CF card camera's can take more shots faster, especially compared to ones like mine that is a SD card camera.

Link.

Ride
    RS2000 & MC Mondeo

Just upgraded from a Fujifilm Finepix S5600 - still a good little camera, just finally got motivated to make the DSLR plunge.

New camera is a Pentax K-m (K2000 in the US) 10mp DSLR - went with the Sigma DG twin lens kit; didn't like the plastic bayonet mounts on the DA-L series Pentax kit lenses, besides, I've always had good success with the Sigma lenses on the old pentax P30 & SuperA 35mm cameras.

Some shots from the Mareeba Warbirds airshow last weekend - still getting my head around using a SLR again after a 5 year hiatus........ but gee its fun to take control of the process again.

Cheers

James
    Last edited by jimmyd; 26-08-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Ride
    ED Ghia & NCII 'Lane

Nice. The Pentax produces a rather good image for it's price range!
    Trainman is
    Geek in Goth clothing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Updated Frequently

Ride
    RS2000 & MC Mondeo

I'm pretty happy wiht the results, I was concerned I was being overly brand loyal (but then again, I get to roll out those prime lenses again....)

Colours are a little over saturated and light meter feels about half as stop out straight out of the box, will be fine tuning settings now I've had a session with it and analysed the 400+ frames....

Next phase will be moving from jpeg to RAW (PEF) files and the oportunities to 'process' the shots

Cheers

James

Ride
    ED Ghia & NCII 'Lane

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    I'm pretty happy wiht the results, I was concerned I was being overly brand loyal (but then again, I get to roll out those prime lenses again....)
    Lucky you! I got my K20 because I had just got one of the last FILM Sigma 28-200's for my old MZ's. All my prime's though are old enough to be in a museum, they have the M42 screw mount!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
    Next phase will be moving from jpeg to RAW (PEF) files and the oportunities to 'process' the shots
    If you've got the software and large enough SD card to handle it, you can't beat RAW. I'd love to run RAW format, but I'm running too old a version of windows to install the software to handle it.
    Trainman is
    Geek in Goth clothing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Updated Frequently

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

I'm an old school film nut...
    Here is the current setup...

Canon EOS RT, which features a pellicle mirror and 5 fps...pretty good for 20 years ago!
    I have another one on which the shutter died (the dreaded early EOS oily shutter problem...costs more to fix than the camera is worth)

I love the pellicle mirror so much that I now have an original 1965 Canon Pellix

Voigtlander Bessamatic with Color Skopar and Super Dynarex lenses. This is an SLR but with a leaf shutter...dates from around 1959 and takes lovely photos

Voigtlander CLR rangefinder from around 1956, in original box with original paperwork. Not sure how it shoots yet, got the first film in it now.

Konica Auto S2 rangefinder from late '60s-early '70s. Hexanon lens is awesome and it's a joy to shoot.

I have a pair of Yashica TL Electro X SLRs, one has a broken mirror and the other one the mirror fell out...I don't trust their glue. Repairs needed but before the calamity I found they are a nice camera. M42 screw mount lenses.

A pair of Praktica MTL3s, East German SLR with indestructible shutter copied from the Copal metal square. One has a meter that reads about three stops out but they both take good pics. Also M42 mount.

More M42 stuff, a Fujica ST705...with the exquisite Fujinon lens...one of my favourite cameras to use.

There's a Pentax MZ-50 body but I don't have a lens for it. Was going to build up an outfit but got sidetracked by Canon stuff and can't be bothered. Too much other stuff to spend money on so the Pentax is for sale...

Canonet 28 with an issue that stops it working, will be investigated in its turn.

Yashica 126 instamatic camera. Cool thing but film not available any more.

Also got a Canon Powershot SX 120 IS pocket digi which I never leave the house without. Always in my pocket...

And at the moment I have a borrowed 1954 Rolleicord V TLR which is superb, loaded with Neopan Acros 100 black and white film which I will be shooting off tomorrow at Mt Field national park.

There's a Nikon Coolpix pocket digi with a dodgy screen around too.

I mostly shoot colour slide film or black and white which I process myself.
    I scan the negs and tweak the levels in Photoshop to match the originals. The scan never looks quite right.

Wolseley Hornet at a car show, taken on Fuji Sensia slide film with the EOS RT.

Taken on Sensia with the Fujica.

This is the view through the eyepiece of the EOS RT looking at a bunch of Rollei TLRs

The Menzies Institute building in Hobart, and no, the walls are not straight...it's not just perspective!
    Canon Powershot SX120 IS

Salamanca Place in Hobart at night.
    Tripod shot from a Rolleicord TLR on colour negative film.

Similar concept, diffferent spot, same camera.

1960 Caddy at a car show. EOS RT with Sensia slide film.

Riley racing car at a car show. Konica rangefinder, Fuji Neopan black and white film home developed.

Old church in Hobart, EOS RT, Ilford Delta 100 black and white film, home developed.

And here are a few of them sitting together...not the whole lot here though.

Ride
    RS2000 & MC Mondeo

Great work there Carnut1100 and some gorgeous machinery too, cars don't look half bad either...

That is the one thing I am missing having gone digital - warmth in the image. Still trying to get my head around how to eliminate the inherent coolness in the shots.

Cheers

James

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

The only film camera I am interested in these days is a 5"x7" TLR my Dad won't part with, some of my scenery shots would never make the forum if that was mine.

jimmyd; you could probably make a fairly generic profile for photoshop that gave the pink hues of AGFA film, the muted blues of Fuji, and the harsh reds of Kodak with very little effort.

carnut1100 thats some very nice work, I am still convinced the tools are only as good as the operator though; which is why I am still doing electronics for a living.

I was riding the motorbike to work this morning, the POS it is .. well it was running on three again, the mist was rising off the river; I must be mad I should have gone home and grabbed the camera.

Ride
    RS2000 & MC Mondeo

jimmyd; you could probably make a fairly generic profile for photoshop that gave the pink hues of AGFA film, the muted blues of Fuji, and the harsh reds of Kodak with very little effort.
    I do not doubt you are correct, my particular poison was Kodak (hence the comment regarding overly cool tones i digital), but I have yet to get into the mysical world of post production editing - all work to date is straight from the camera.

Cheers

James
    Last edited by jimmyd; 20-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

I know what you mean, I do a little messing around with altering pics at work occasionally but just prefer to work with the off camera images most of the time.

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

GIMP is pretty good for post editing,and is free although it is not as good as teh read deal, Photoshop which I now have although only the CS3 version...

I find that theshots I take with Fuji Sensia slide are quite cool, as are the Fujicolor Superia shots.
    Kodak is certainly warmer in tone.
    I want to get a couple of rolls of Kodachrome before the stop processing it at the end of the year...a friend of mine has two rolls on the go right now, come the end of year and Dwayne's which is the last K-14 processing lab in the world will stop doing it.
    End of an era...Ektachrome just isn't the same...

Ride
    Territory Ghia

I've recently acquired a Nikon D5000, with a Tamron 18-270 Lens. It is just a matter of learning how to drive it, as I've been away from SLR Photography for at least fifteen years.

I'll throw up a couple of shots when I get my iMac back off the Mrs.

In the Film Side, I've got a Canon AE-1 Program, which was absolutely brilliant, and taught me everything I've forgotten about SLRs, and I grew up with a Fujica STX-1N, which my Dad still uses. He has his digital Point and Shoots, however he likes his artsy fartsy black and white shots that you can't perfect with a DSLR.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

Just heard that Fuji is discontinuing Sensia slide film...
    Oh well...I will just have to shoot more Velvia and Provia...but Sensia was a damn good film for a reasonable price...
    1979 Transit Mk2 Truck project thread here

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

Quote Originally Posted by carnut1100 View Post
    Just heard that Fuji is discontinuing Sensia slide film...
    Oh well...I will just have to shoot more Velvia and Provia...but Sensia was a damn good film for a reasonable price...
    Kodak have also discontinued Kodachrome, but are still producing Etkachrome and a couple of others. Film is going to fade out slowly like 3&1\2" floppy disks, you can still get them but manufacturers are slowly going away from them.

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

Kodak have also discontinued Kodachrome, but are still producing Etkachrome and a couple of others. Film is going to fade out slowly like 3&1\2" floppy disks, you can still get them but manufacturers are slowly going away from them.
    Yes and no...I think film will be around for a while yet.
    There is a resurgance in film use as an art form, funnily enough this is especially prevalent in Polaroid...not only with the Impossible Project, but the Fuji polaroid film is selling like hotcakes and the value of polaroid cameras on ebay has exploded in the last year.

Kodachrome is a very sad one...the K-14 process gives a much nicer and more durable result than E-6...I have found 40+ year old Kodachrome slides in junk shops in perfect order, but 25 year old Ektachrome slides badly faded...

I shoot a lot of Sensia, and like it a lot, so I am sad to see it going too, although I do absolutely love Provia and Velvia...

I have shot more Fuji than Kodak in recent years, although I absolutely love the colour representations of Kodak, it seems to be a warmer rendering than Fuji, especially in the colour print film.
    I would LOVE to try the Ektar 100 print film...
    1979 Transit Mk2 Truck project thread here

Ride
    ED Ghia & NCII 'Lane

Film for prints is dead. Slides on the other hand are still used in huge amounts by professionals. The difference is they shoot on medium or large format. 35mm is where the death is occurring.

Kodachrome was a huge loss, it was the best slide film for so long. I'm waiting on the death of the K-max. It is the best of the 35mm black & whites I've ever used. Such smooth grain, but can be tricky to get prints out of because of it's density.
    Trainman is
    Geek in Goth clothing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Updated Frequently

Ride
    1997 Lexus LS400

*reviving the thread*

I've got a Canon 50D with:

- Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 EF-S
    - Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 EF-S
    - Canon 50 f/1.8 II
    - Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS EF-S
    - Canon 85 f/1.8 USM

Working to get a Canon 50 f/1.4 USM and 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkI at some time in the near future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information