+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holden having problems with VE Commodore

Banned
    Ride
    03 BA 5spd V8 XT sed

Default Holden having problems with VE Commodore

I have heard for a while now that the VE model is having major problems. Today I heard that the problems are so significant that the export US model has been cancelled. In addition to this apparently Holden did not conduct any packaging studies for the Alloytech V6 when it designed the VE body. They have now discovered that the battery will not fit in the engine bay which has resulted in Holden having to relocate it to the boot at significant expense.

Anybody hear any VE related stories and can confirm any of the above?

FF
    Last edited by Falcon Freak; 01-12-2004 at 11:26 PM.

productions

Default Re: Holden having problems with VE Commodore

BAHAHAHA that is hilarious.

Please, I need to know more . . .

Ride
    '07 BF2 XT

that US point is interesting.......arent they setting up the tooling in several of their existing plants to accomodate for new cars with the Zeta architecture? so that would mean realistically there are no US exports

Ride
    F150, Torino Cobra

They have now discovered that the battery will not fit in the engine bay which has resulted in Holden having to relocate it to the boot at significant expense.
    I find that hard to believe. We're not talking about a big block here. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
    In addition to this apparently Holden did not conduct any packaging studies for the Alloytech V6 when it designed the VE body. They have now discovered that the battery will not fit in the engine bay which has resulted in Holden having to relocate it to the boot at significant expense.
    FF

This would have to be the biggest load of BS ive heard. The engine bay will be no smaller in the VE then in the current VT/X/Y/Z platform. If anything the engine bay will be bigger considering it will be housing the LS2 which will be introduced with the VE. The engine bay would have been designed to cater for the LS2 aswell as the Alloytec so if they coudent fit the battery in with the V6 there would no hope of the LS2 fitting in. See were im getting at? As much as some of you guys hate holden you gotta keep an open mind about things you think holden would go out and design a new model without researching something as simple as Battery location.

BTW: nice forum you guys have here
    Last edited by XF88; 02-12-2004 at 12:18 AM. Reason: because i can

Ride
    4.0i 97 EL Futura

Do you have a source, other than word of mouth? Where are you "hearing" all these problems from?

Banned
    Ride
    03 BA 5spd V8 XT sed

That is why I said apparently and asked for verification. I heard it from within the auto industry.

FF

Ride
    BA XR6 - black

Unless you get a Holden designer on the boards with loose lips, I dont think you will ever get any confirmation about that rumour, although I find it hard to believe, but wierder things have happen!

Ride
    changing weekly

Moving the battery to the Trunk is not uncommon as it's often used for better weight distribution - if GM are trying to create a perfect F/R platform then it's logical that would be the ideal position. The real reason might not be that it was a problem but a solution.

A number of manufacturers do it and it just means running power back down the car - it has to be channelled to the back anyway so it's not a big deal. Can also get aftermarket relocation kits for performance purposes.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Just remember guys, if you've signed those dotted lines agreeing to be privy to confidential information, keep it that way.

As much as some of you guys hate holden you gotta keep an open mind about things you think holden would go out and design a new model without researching something as simple as Battery location.
    Aaron, no-ones saying that they hate Holden. Information that Falcon Freak obviously believes is true has been posted, that's it. I can say that Ford made a silly decision in green-lighting the AUís styling, but that doesn't mean I hate them. Don't turn this into a Ford vs Holden argument.
    Anyway, we'll know late 05/06.
    Last edited by PaulST; 02-12-2004 at 07:17 PM.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Banned
    Ride
    03 BA 5spd V8 XT sed

Anyway, we'll know late 05/06.
    VE release is early 2006.

FF

Ride
    '07 BF2 XT

i think what Paul was trying to say was late 05/06, we'd know for sure about a rear mounted battery

Banned
    Ride
    03 BA 5spd V8 XT sed

Ok.

FF

Was The Fastest HSV WhatTheHell's Avatar
    Ride
    VY Series2 GTS

It's allready built and heads of GM have seen it. And they are buzzing about it, So thats all i got to say on that one.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Quote Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
    i think what Paul was trying to say was late 05/06, we'd know for sure about a rear mounted battery
    I think FF realised that and corrected my release date. Anyway, that's a minor matter.

I wouldn't have been expecting that they'd build the LHD Zeta based car here in Australia anyway, I thought that would be left to an American plant where Buick or similar could build it. No-doubt theyíd need huge facilities to keep up with the North American market too. Australia would be busy enough keeping up building cars for it's RHD market (assuming that some Asian, African and South American markets are RHD or my theories shot. :tongue: ).
    I imagine they'll be building a few more LWB Commodores once Daewoo starts rebadging them too.

Cars:

MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    XR6TT

They have now discovered that the battery will not fit in the engine bay which has resulted in Holden having to relocate it to the boot at significant expense.
    so the lucky b*stards buying this new commodore wont have to do it themselfs...

Forum Veteran

If the rumour is true, where would they store the battery? I'm assuming it would be off to the side of the boot? The Commodore already has a smaller boot than the Falcon and Camry so they'd want to be as efficient as possible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some say... if he could be bothered, he could break the Da Vinci code in 43 seconds.

I heard on the radio at work the other day that there was an explosion in the Holden V6 engine plant or something? What's the go? Did it really happen?

Was The Fastest HSV WhatTheHell's Avatar
    Ride
    VY Series2 GTS

might have been the 30psi turbo6 lol

Ride
    2006 VE Commo SV6

I own a VE SV6 and the reason for the battery in the boot is because they wanted to stop the problem of the battery from getting too hot.

As you all should know, Falcons killed batteries because of the heat in the engine bay, and because of the stupid plastic box they put the batteries into, and holdens lack of room under the bonnet knew that the heat under there and around the battery would be too much, and would kill the battery in no time at all, so they moved it into the boot to save troubles, and the location in the boot is on the left hand side well hidden away, allowing for standard boot space to not be affected. not that it is too much of an issue, as the VE's boot space is some what bigger than the VZ's.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Welcome to the forums Daf, feel free to post up a few pics of your VE even though it's a Commodore.
    In regards to the battery, senior Holden staff have admitted to journalists that they're embarrassed about having to put the battery into the boot and they're working to put it back under the bonnet. I just canít remember where I read that. Was either MOTOR or WHEELS.
    Heating and 50/50 weight distribution are all from the marketing, not engineering department.

Cars:

MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    AU2 Fairmont

Thinking the battery in the boot, that then means extra heavy cabling running between the boot and engine bay. Whilst it might allow 50/50 weight distribution, there is extra weight in the extra cable required. Leaving the battery under the bonnet is hardly going to tip weight distribution wildly the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulST
    Welcome to the forums Daf, feel free to post up a few pics of your VE even though it's a Commodore.
    In regards to the battery, senior Holden staff have admitted to journalists that they're embarrassed about having to put the battery into the boot and they're working to put it back under the bonnet. I just canít remember where I read that. Was either MOTOR or WHEELS.
    Heating and 50/50 weight distribution are all from the marketing, not engineering department.
    Oh dear, who cares where the battery is located. Do you think anyone would not buy a car because of the battery location? I think not.

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

hey
    well the ve has been on sale how long? and ive all ready seen 1 broken down with trade plates on it in a servo lol.
    also the new alloytec engine and the ls2? engines dont like gas at all.
    both engines have heads nilly beyond cost effective repair and the blocks not much better when run on gas as they cant handle the extra heat the gas generates and crack.
    also battery in boot has nothing to do with overheating battery's or weight or location.
    they have been moved to the boot to help stop underbonnet fires in crashes and also having the battery fly out in crashes as well.
    and holden whouldent car if you battery only last 50'000km as that means you might by anther battery off them.
    drift
    Last edited by Lyonsy; 25-08-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCowley
    Oh dear, who cares where the battery is located. Do you think anyone would not buy a car because of the battery location? I think not.
    Well who care's about anything? A discussion forum is for discussion and if you don't care, don't look...

I'm seeing a few of them out on the road now. While they do look high, they're very classy, European and incredibly solid looking. They do make the cars around them look very old in comparison.

Cars:

MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information