+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Leak inside the Cabin for Territory

Ride
    FordTerritory

Default Water Leak inside the Cabin for Territory

Hi All:
    Love my Territory Ghia and owned it since June but there is ONE experience I have with my car that is driving me insane. 2 months ago, Sydney had a serious rain downpour. I parked my car outside in a slight angle(you can see it from the post I uploaded "Territory pic". When I went in the car, I noticed a puddle of water existed behind the front passenger seat on the floor. I sent it to Ford to fix and find where the water leak is coming from. THey did but few weeks ago, Sydney again had a full week's of rain downpour and you guessed it, the same thing happened again and the puddle of water existed on the same spot. So i have sent my Territory over to Ford again and asked them not to return it to me until they have found where the leak is coming from. Ford offered a loan car to me, A territory TX. The same day I drove the car, I decided to vacuum the inside, and long and behold, the same water leak pattern existed but this time it was behind the driver's seat on the floor. The owner of the loan car I have may not have noticed it because the carpet mat covered it, but it sure soaked with water.

I am asking all Territory owners out there if you have experienced this problem? Could it be a known problem with Territories? What are the chances of 2 Territories suffering the same water leak problem. I am hoping it would rain again these next few days, i mean a serious rain downpour so that I can show Ford, hey, this must be a known problem.

Anyway, hearing to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

Ride
    Territory

Default Re: Water Leak inside the Cabin for Territory

"Water, a new territory,"

Glad to read your post. Going on my experience, which is similar to yours, I also asked the dealer to fix the water leak (drivers floor) after the same rain downpours. Dealer's first attempt failed of course. However, I took matters into my own hands and found the problem. I would guess that most Territorys will have this problem based on what passes for sealing of the door trims in this car. Here's what happened in my case:

At the bottom of the door trim is a black plastic sealing strip clearly visible from the outside of the door trim. In my case, it had not been put on correctly and part of it was hanging down and water issuing forth. I took off the door trim to find that the water sealing "system" consists of a sheet of rubber like material which is supposed to press onto the metal of the inside of the door by the door trim when it is fastened into place thus forming a "gasket" to prevent water ingress. What does get past the rubber sheet (and there are plenty of opportunities for doing so) gets caught by the afore-mentioned black plastic seal and goes back into the inside of the door through a couple of holes put in the metal for that purpose. Trouble is, that at the factory, it was evidently decided that the flap on the lower part of this rubber sheet, instead of being positioned on the outside of the metal, is now tucked into the door cavity (where you would think it should be anyway) and so the "Gasket" action is lost. Worse, there are two slots in the rubber sheet to allow the door trim to rest in position while the operator assembles the switches and wires prior to fitting the door trim. Now, this incredibly silly idea is compounded by the window channel which does not extend down to the bottom of the door . Water which makes it past the outside window trim travels down the channel and since it stops short before the bottom of the door, it drips from the end of the channel (the plastic part of the channel that is). This drip then ends up in several places depending on how the car is parked. In my case, pointing downhill, the drip splashed against the intrusion bar and then onto the rubber sheet thus making it water-logged. Excess water soaked down to the bottom of the door trim where, the previously mentioned black plastic sealing strip failed to contain it and then passed into the interior carpet via the kick plate. You could actually squeeze the water out of the rubber sheet along the bottom of the door.

Any normal car would have heavy plastic with mastic sealer to ensure that water stays inside the door cavity. It is obvious in the case of a Territory that the window channel should extend further down to the bottom of the door to train the water to the bottom. At least then it wouldn't splash or drip onto the rubber sheet. The rubber sheet itself is not water proof anyway. I can see plenty of irate customers turning up at the Service Department with wet carpet in weeks to come.

My car goes back to the Dealer tomorrow (along with 15 other faults to be repaired). I'll let you know what they do.

Chips

Ride
    Territory

I guess my now most Territory owners have bought a pair of rain boots. Having gone back three times to have the water leak "repaired", I have given up. Apparently, according to the Ford "hotline" that the service guys ring, water leaks through the doors and into the interior carpets are a "known issue". Well, I could have told them that, I've known about it for weeks.

The water comes in through the mirror gasket and also where the exterior window strip meets the vertical channel rail. The "solution" from Ford is to keep applying Silastic (or similar) until leaks are eliminated. Having given up on the expertise of the dealer, I have now had to remove all four door trims, mirrors etc and seal up the gaping hole where the outside weatherstrip ends. So far things look leak free but who knows how long this will last.

The easy way to tell if you have a problem (apart from wet feet) is to observe any water accumulating on the inside edge of the rubber door seal down near the kick plate along the bottom of the door opening. A few puddles here and your sunk - although according to Ford, this is "normal".

Yours in dampness,
    Chips

Ride
    Territory

Chips,

I haven't experienced any of these troubles yet (touch wood) but thanks for your description of the problem should it arise.

Any chance you could manage some photos to aid in your explanation.
    Rob
    Last edited by Raptor; 12-11-2004 at 08:51 AM.

Da Blak Is Bak
    Ride
    territory ghia rwd

Hello all,

bugger me if this hasnt just happened to me. Melbournes weather has turnred it on and bucketed down the last few days. Today when i stepped in to my beloved territory I heard the dreaded sound of water.
    I looked down and it wasnt just a puddle the bloody water was everywhere. when i rang the dealer i got the standard response. Bring it in and we will see if we can fix it. I demanded that the carpet was to be replaced as well. They were'nt too happy about this and in fact at first refused. Some quiet words seemed to of changed their minds though.

After this episode i am seriously thinking about trading it in and going back to a sedan..... or worse still a holden!

later,
    Kevin
    Keep smilin'...... you confuse the hell outta everyone

Ride
    Territory TS

Angry Re: Water Leak inside the Cabin for Territory

In a previous post the statement was made:
    "I parked my car outside in a slight angle (you can see it from the post I uploaded [Territory pic]. When I went in the car, I noticed a puddle of water existed behind the front passenger seat on the floor".

I have the same problem. When parked on a slight sideways slope rainwater gathers in the front passenger footwell. This is a Territory TS.
    On 01 April 2005 it goes back to the official Ford Dealer for the fifth time with the same fault.

Mick

Experienced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    In a previous post the statement was made:
    "I parked my car outside in a slight angle (you can see it from the post I uploaded [Territory pic]. When I went in the car, I noticed a puddle of water existed behind the front passenger seat on the floor".

I have the same problem. When parked on a slight sideways slope rainwater gathers in the front passenger footwell. This is a Territory TS.
    On 01 April 2005 it goes back to the official Ford Dealer for the fifth time with the same fault.

Mick
    5 times and they haven't fixed it, shows how incompetent ford are. while it may be a nice car i would be selling that POS straight away and getting something better.

Ride
    Ford Territory TS

Incompetent Ford is or just the dealers?

I wash my TS (September 04 build) with a hose frequently and have had no such leaking problems.

.Good luck...

Ride
    Territory TS

Angry Re: Water Leak inside the Cabin for Territory

The real test is to have the car on a slight sideways slope and hose the door window, on the high side.
    This is because when the car is perfectly level the water passes down in between the outer and inner parts of the door and drains out the openings in the bottom of the door, as designed.
    On a slight slope this water will drip into the interior of the car. Lift the carpet to check.

Mick

After a worsening smell, I lifted the carpet to find a swamp under there on driver's floor and behind driver's seat. The car is almost always parked on an angle without shelter.
    I'm about to remove the passenger seat too.
    No point fixing the leak without drying the carpet out.
    Anyone found a solution beyond plastering it with silastic?

Ride
    AUII XR6 VCT Manual

Hey KenK,

I had a leak in my AU XR6, not long after getting it I decided to go through the car wash, using the drive through high pressure wash. Anyhow was sitting in the car when it was being washed and was getting water and soap coming in from above the pedals. Found out it was a spot weld had come undone in the panel infront of the windscreen. The section under the plastic where the wipers are. Anyhow filled it with waterproof sealer and havn't had a problem since. Might be an idea to check that, just a thought. My brother inlaw works in a panel shop and said he had come across this happening before.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    BF Ute/SYII Tez AWD

Quote Originally Posted by corty80 View Post
    Hey KenK,

I had a leak in my AU XR6, not long after getting it I decided to go through the car wash, using the drive through high pressure wash. Anyhow was sitting in the car when it was being washed and was getting water and soap coming in from above the pedals. Found out it was a spot weld had come undone in the panel infront of the windscreen. The section under the plastic where the wipers are. Anyhow filled it with waterproof sealer and havn't had a problem since. Might be an idea to check that, just a thought. My brother inlaw works in a panel shop and said he had come across this happening before.
    This happend to an AU ute l once owned. Leaked on my feet in the car wash.

Ride
    EF FORD

I too had the water leak but in my case it was the door rubber at the top of the door on the drivers side
    Actually watched it dripping through
    The rubber had slipped down from the corner
    I pulled it back up and pushed it home and leak has now stopped

Ride
    XR8 ute

Hi, my wife owns a 2006 TX Territory and we had pretty serious water leak coming in from somewhere and pooling under the carpet on the front passenger side, I tried the numerous things i could find on the web to fix it but nothing worked.
    We finally gave up and took it into Ford yesterday. They spent 2 hours looking for the leak and in the end after removing a few trims they said there was a rubber grommet missing on the left hand front side of the firewall where the wiring harness passes through.
    They put a new grommet in and tested it again and found no leaks. so we are just waiting for it to rain so we can test it ourselves.
    All up they charged $195

Hope it helps

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Glad your Ford dealer got it sorted - well done! A good news story from a dealer.

Which dealer our of interest?

Welcome to the forum - got pics of the XR8?
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    XR8 ute

Quote Originally Posted by docjames View Post
    Glad your Ford dealer got it sorted - well done! A good news story from a dealer.

Which dealer our of interest?

Welcome to the forum - got pics of the XR8?

We took it to Nuford in Wangara, W.A.
    The only pic I have at the moment is the one I have as my avatar.
    Still new to the forum thing so haven't played around too much.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Cool, lots of negative (dealer) threads so good to put a name to a decent experience.

Welcome again. Have a look around and you'll get the hang of it!
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    territory

i have a 06 territory ghia that is leaking into the passangers footwell badly seems to be more common than i imagined has anyones else dealer blamed them i was blamed for parking on my driveway which has a 2 degree slope (i measured it i was so mad) and also was blamed for parking my car and not driving it for 4 days i only bought my car 1 1/2 months ago and my dealer tells me im out of warranty (i get 3 months on a used car in nsw) but are begrudingly fixing or trying to well i think they are trying its going to a panel shop monday.Love the territory i was a holden man but have been converted just need the dam leak fixed and my dealer to listen and not blame me

Ride
    territory

Just to keep everyone updated my territory has been in the panel shop since monday morning its now thursday afternoon.The windscreen has been removed and resealed twice now no luck still leaks they had the passangers front guard off to try and find a leak have had no luck the passangers seat and carpet is out.Next step its going back to my local ford dealer who now thankfully now believes me that the car is leaking badly (bout time) to have the dash removed to try and find the leak.its been 7 days without my car i want it back

Ride
    XR8 ute

Quote Originally Posted by danpursuit View Post
    Hi, my wife owns a 2006 TX Territory and we had pretty serious water leak coming in from somewhere and pooling under the carpet on the front passenger side, I tried the numerous things i could find on the web to fix it but nothing worked.
    We finally gave up and took it into Ford yesterday. They spent 2 hours looking for the leak and in the end after removing a few trims they said there was a rubber grommet missing on the left hand front side of the firewall where the wiring harness passes through.
    They put a new grommet in and tested it again and found no leaks. so we are just waiting for it to rain so we can test it ourselves.
    All up they charged $195

Hope it helps
    UPDATE...
    It's been a few months now and still no leak after a few heavy downpours so it's safe to say my Ford dealer fixed the problem.

Ride
    territory

Quote Originally Posted by hornet2222 View Post
    Just to keep everyone updated my territory has been in the panel shop since monday morning its now thursday afternoon.The windscreen has been removed and resealed twice now no luck still leaks they had the passangers front guard off to try and find a leak have had no luck the passangers seat and carpet is out.Next step its going back to my local ford dealer who now thankfully now believes me that the car is leaking badly (bout time) to have the dash removed to try and find the leak.its been 7 days without my car i want it back
    well good news looks like the leak in my territory has been found hooray the dash had to come out and it appears a weld seam has opened they (they my local ford dealer) have fixed it wouldn't tell me how that has me a bit worried silicone i bet but if it stops the leak i will be happy. And just a footnote for anyone who has this problem in the future my advice complain complain. i rang ford head office got an aploigy from them and have got one from my dealer as well

Ride
    Territory SZ 2011 TS

Hi Just new to the Forum mainly because I wanted to see if my problem was unique - would appear not.

I had a 2009 Territory TS for two years - great car for work, family, towing horse float,etc. - lease expired so I got a SZ TS about 5 weeks ago. My first impression is that it was a great improvement on a good car.

Since then everything has gone wrong with the ICC, sound, aircon controls and iPod integration - apparently not unusual. Waiting for a new unit from Japan.

Then came the leak: I drove from Orbost to Melbourne in the rain yesterday and found a pool of water under the pedals - the whole foot well is water logged.

From what i am reading above it sounds like a common problem - lets see how Ford handles it.

Ride
    Territory SZ 2011 TS

Hi Just new to the Forum mainly because I wanted to see if my problem was unique - would appear not.

I had a 2009 Territory TS for two years - great car for work, family, towing horse float,etc. - lease expired so I got a SZ TS about 5 weeks ago. My first impression is that it was a great improvement on a good car.

Since then everything has gone wrong with the ICC, sound, aircon controls and iPod integration - apparently not unusual. Waiting for a new unit from Japan.

Then came the leak: I drove from Orbost to Melbourne in the rain yesterday and found a pool of water under the pedals - the whole foot well is water logged.

From what i am reading above it sounds like a common problem - lets see how Ford handles it.

Ride
    territory

Mate i hope you have better luck than i did ford blamed me for the water leak they begrudgely fixed it they had it for 17 days all up mine had a weld seam that had let go its fixed now well so far my advice keep at them and i rang ford head office they were more helpful than my local dealer keep your chin up there is light at the end of the tunnel keep us informed as to the progress all the best

Ride
    Ford Territory

I am taking my new territory back to tomorrow for the 2nd time. The first leak fix on the driver side was unsuccessful. Not sure what's causing it but I'll let you know the outcome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information