+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Escaping

lurch
    Ride
    XD Fairmont Ghia

Default Air Escaping

Hi guys, i need some help if possible...
    My BA ute (na 6 / 5 speed) has been running like a dogbox for a while now, coming up wiht code P1132 - possible air intake restriction.
    I have noticed that when I switch the car off and the butterfly on the throttle body opens, I can hear a large amount of air escaping back through the throttle body..
    So my questions are -
    A) am i just being paranoid?
    B) is this normal?
    C) does the butterfly need to be adjusted as its too far closed on idle creating the air restriction?

Any help would be great as I am stumped on what the issue could be!

Cheers

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Default Re: Air Escaping

Quote Originally Posted by ascendancy254 View Post
    Hi guys, i need some help if possible...
    My BA ute (na 6 / 5 speed) has been running like a dogbox for a while now, coming up wiht code P1132 - possible air intake restriction.
    I have noticed that when I switch the car off and the butterfly on the throttle body opens, I can hear a large amount of air escaping back through the throttle body..
    So my questions are -
    A) am i just being paranoid?
    B) is this normal?
    C) does the butterfly need to be adjusted as its too far closed on idle creating the air restriction?

Any help would be great as I am stumped on what the issue could be!

Cheers
    Hi,

Are you getting bad idle when warm/cold when approaching a stop light or intersection? Is it not stable at approx 700rpm?
    If so you can try removing the carbon deposits on the throttle body and throttle plate. Just use a rag, with car off, and just wipe both sides of the blade and around the inside of the throttle plate clean.

Then remove the negative terminal of the battery for a few minutes to reset the keep alive memory.

Then drive it around to see if that helps.

If you are getting missfire when locked up in 3rd around 80-100km/h and is hesistating to accelerate at that speed it could be spark plugs or coils. Might pay to get them replaced/checked if havent done so.

Also if its drastically bad, like takes a while to start, fails to acclerate to 40-60km/h and when pressing the accelerator to the floor and stumbles and does not move, then I'd be checking the fuel pump, it could be bad.

Also if you have never done so, and the car is over 150 000km travelled, I would give it a service with new fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, oil and oil filter for a treat.

Good luck.

lurch
    Ride
    XD Fairmont Ghia

Hi Baboon
    Appreciate the advice but unfortunately, tried all that.
    New plugs
    New coil packs
    New fuel pump
    New fuel filter
    New exhaust (both cat and centre muffler)
    New plenum gasket
    New intake gasket
    New tb gasket
    New exhaust gaskets
    New tp sensor
    New map sensor
    New injectors
    Fuel rail removed and cleaned
    New fuel press. Reg
    New PCV
    New O2 sensor
    Reco. PCM
    TB cleaned multiple times
    Reset KAM
    19.5 to 20 inHg Manifold Vacuum

Runs rich, poor fuel economy, bad idle but revs clean with no power loss (that I can feel)

Got me and a couple of mechanics stumped

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Wow you've done a LOT!

I can only think its a vacuum issue, but in terms of vacuum there is a few things to check. The pic here shows a vacuum reservoir that lives in the passenger side fender. There are vacuum lines associated, with t-pieces and hoses connecting to fuel pressure regulator, inlet manifold charge control, and a one way vac valve.

These hoses, connections can be purchased from a wrecker or ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VACUUM-H...sid=m570.l1313

Check that these are intact. Could be a possible cause for a vacuum leak but thinking about this it would be running lean... Unless you've done this already?

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information