+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water leak in tf cortina

Ride
    TF Cortina

Default Water leak in tf cortina

Hi Guys,
    Got a bad water leak, behind the dash on the drivers side far right.
    Can't work out where it is starting from.
    Doesn't appear to be from the windscreen.... any other suggestions greatly appreciate.
    Cheers
    George

Experienced Member
    Ride
    Cortina

Default Re: Water leak in tf cortina

Had the same problem with my TD during wet weather the carpet getting damp finally fixed it by taking off the front wheel and looking up discovered a small gap where the underside of fender meets the joining panel. Easily fixed by removing the dirt cleaning the surfaces and filling the gap with silastic and after drying out the carpet no more leaks.
    Not related but another thing worth checking on both fenders is where the fender meets the main body panel rear at the bottom there is a channel that holds dirt that can cause rust - I check mine out when the wheels are rotated. Hope that this helps.

Ride
    TF Cortina

Hi Hallee,
    Thank You for your help.....Will have a close look tomorrow.
    I discovered the problem area at the bottom of the fender years ago when I was changing a guard.
    Definitely needs regular cleaning and inspection.
    I found a leak under the metal where the bonnet hinges are attached to the body above the wheel arch.Difficult to get to so had to cut
    metal to get in there (causes rust were the firewall attaches to the body on the drivers side).
    Also just discovered a leak on the back seat floor....another mystery.
    Cheers
    George

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Hey George, have you had the windscreen out of the car,,, ? Not sure about TF/TEs but on the TDs there is a hole in the bottom left and right corner back edge of the windscreen housing channel. This hole gets covered by the windscreen seal and glass when fitted you can't see it. The hole is there to take water away that may get in behind the windscreen seal. The water travels out under the phylum chamber and into the engine bay and away. This drain hole I discovered was right over the top of where the 'A' pillar is welded into the sub chassis under the phylum chamber and it had rusted the weld joint letting water straight into the floor compartment. I can put pictures up if you need to see what I am talking about. Best way to check this is take off a kick panel and get someone to put a hose over the top of the windscreen. Putting the bonnet up also aids observation of the water through, into and out of the engine bay..
    Cheers
    Last edited by TDCorty; 25-06-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Ride
    TF Cortina

Hi,
    Thanks You very much for the reply Guys.
    Yes the windscreen has been replaced in the past however i can't see the hole you mention for drainage.
    Suspect it is there but can't see it .
    Would love pictures if possible (to make sure i'm looking in the right place)
    Thanks again for the help...much appreciated.
    George

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

OK George, I am catching up with the mail will post some pics tomorrow for you watch this space.

If I forget thenPM me

OK George apologies for the wait here are the pics

1. Top of phylum chamber cut off to reveal under chassis where square bottom of the 'A' pillar is welded into sub frame. Weld joint that has rusted through is scratched and obvious.
    DSCN2018 - Copy.jpg

2. Top of phylum chamber welded back into place after weld joint was sealed and you can see the hole in the extreme bottom right of the windscreen recess channel right over the top of where the 'A' pillar is attached.
    DSCN2032 - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by TDCorty; 25-06-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Ride
    TF Cortina

Hi TDCorty,
    Thank you very much for the pictures....much appreciated.
    Did not realise this part of the airbox existed.
    Will investigate mine further as soon as the weather warms up.
    looks like you did a neat job cutting the metal out and welding it back together.
    Sorry for the slow response, been very busy and forgot to check the forum.
    Thanks again
    George

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information