+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PX Ford Ranger XLT Dual Cab Canopy preference

Ride
    Ford Ranger PX XLT

Default PX Ford Ranger XLT Dual Cab Canopy preference

I know it will be a matter of preference with people, but can somebody let me know the good and also the bad things about a certain brand of canopy.

Interested in everybody thoughts.

Sliding windows or not ?

Also going to put roof racks on to match the racks already fitted to my XLT Dual Cab

Thanks in advance,
    Brent.

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Default Re: PX Ford Ranger XLT Dual Cab Canopy preference

I chose the ARB Ascent canopy, looks stylish to suit the look of the Rangers design, complies with the Ford Rangers Equipment & Manual guide for mounting to tub, no ugly window /tail lock handles as it has central locking incorporated, no sliding windows which can be a pain if they start to stick when sliding as this canopy has at your choice of flip up or flip out windows.
    Stylish flip up roof vent cap for ventilation & pressurisation, good warranty, stylish rear wing mounted stop light.
    Overall a very good canopy, downside a bit more pricey on cost of purchase & installation, but well worth it imo, you would be looking at $4200 approximately.
    Fitting of different roof rack or roof bars can be from $650 to $1400 depending what you choose, I do not have any installed as I have no use for them.

I compared this canopy to the Ford supplied Aeroklas canopy, $700 difference, no central locking, Aeroklas just looked basic plain style canopy.

Ride
    Ford Ranger PX XLT

Well PD56, you are a wealth of information. Thanks for your help.!! $4200.00 is a lot of money but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
    Was unaware of the central locking as well.
    Need to get something organised though as I am sick of tools and stuff getting wet. Thanks again.

Another vote for ARB Ascent, seen one on previous neighbor's Ranger and it compliments the looks.

Ride
    PX Dual Cab XLT Rang

I chose the Flexiglass Sports as it uses the vehicles remote lock and unlock so just no key just what you already have in your hand. Also it has the same lines as the roof so no ups for the back of the vehicle as some.

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Gus68 View Post
    I chose the Flexiglass Sports as it uses the vehicles remote lock and unlock so just no key just what you already have in your hand. Also it has the same lines as the roof so no ups for the back of the vehicle as some.
    What did it cost to purchase & install?

Ride
    PX Dual Cab XLT Rang

Had the dealer handle it when purchased. Think from memory $3000, not the cheapest but has been great with no issues. Colour coded to vehicle, carpeted roof, windows pull up at sides, tinted windows to match vehicles tinted windows. Just great having the canopy locked and unlocked with the vehicle. Only issue is when unlocking, need to open a vehicle door otherwise will auto relock.

Ride
    Ford Ranger 2016 PX2

I had the ARB Ascent installed on my 2016 PX2

with rack support frame (ARB alloy rack over canopy and two Rhino surf racks over the cabin - line up perfectly for straight through height.)

The Ascent is a classy bit of kit - at quite a price - but when you're paying $60k for the vehicle off the rack another $1k is fairly small.

Probably the only negatives I have is to open the vent in the roof you can whack your knuckles if not careful on the roof rack above it as its quite stiff (probably loosen up over time) and the very dark tinted glass gets really hot in WA summer temperatures(but all the same seems to keep the heat out of the interior) The dark glass is also a good security feature - you juts can't see what's inside under any exterior light condition

And washing the top of the canopy is a pain under the rack - fits really close - I bought a thin flat microfibre mop from Bunnings - gets under quite well

The toughened glass windows are really dark which is great for security(can't see what's inside) but they do get really hot to touch (no handles)

A couple of photos attached

Highly recommended !

canopy 1.JPG
    canopy 2.JPG

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Freelancer1956, I use wheel step when washing my canopy, makes the job easy, also be aware of your vent cap when open as they can flip backwards when doing speeds over 100kph, had this happen to me once.

Ride
    Ford Ranger 2016 PX2

Hi PD56
    Thanks for the tips.
    Yes I agree about that problem of getting up high enough especially with a 2" suspension lift on an already high vehicle.
    At 5'7" even when standing on the top of the rear tyres its very difficult to thread tie down straps through the mesh rack. (I use some of those twisty ties you buy from Bunnings by bending a hook end in them - helps a lot.

But I ended up buying a very lightweight but strong 3 step ladder which I carry around in the back of the tub - handy for getting up high on the caravan if needed to also.

steps.JPG

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Here is a nice little add on if you carry a fridge in the back, saves running leads through windows when camped up, all you need is a clipsal power inlet 56A1310 as pictured & double pole weather proof power point mounted inside to your tub liner, I used 20 amp orange circular cable enclosed in flexible conduit, entry is gained by passing through cut outs under your tub panel lip, plenty of room between liner & tub for cable, I fabricated a mounting bracket from alumimium checker plate to mount the the inlet socket to the tow bar, this cost me about $150 to do myself.
    One of the most handiest mods I've done to my ranger.

Last edited by PD56; 19-03-2017 at 08:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information