+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not a Happy customer

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Thumbs up Not a Happy customer

Three years ago I had my 40 year old brass core radiator re-cored because it was blocked. This is what AAA genuine quality guaranteed copper re-core looks after just three years. This is the problem with rebuilds, not the old stuff failing it's the rebuilt crap not lasting as long.

Well I have my receipt with the radiator ready to go for next week when Mr AAA reopens, then we will see what he has to say about their rebuild service quality and guarantee.

Update below all good all fixed AAA came to the party see thread below
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TDCorty; 14-01-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Default Re: Not a Happy customer

What warranty did they provide ?
    Cars,
    2005 Chev Colorado, 3.0/auto crew cab (Long gone, I want it back).
    2012 Ford Ranger, 2.2/6 speed manual crew cab.... piece of crap, can't wait till I am rid of it.

Bikes,
    2004 Yamaha SR400.
    2012 Honda Click 125.

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Quote Originally Posted by tfcortinanut View Post
    What warranty did they provide ?
    12 Months so when I explained that the radiator has had little or no use the guy said kilometres don't count it's the age... I checked my receipt it was re-cored in Nov 2012 so I said to the HO guy to whom I was speaking cause I rang their HO to complain. "So are you telling me that if I left the radiator on the shelf for 4 years and it did this that's OK because regardless of how the radiator gets used it's got a 12 month life span" yes he said,,, really I asked!! He caved and agreed it was not a good look. Got a phone call this morning AAA have completely resoldered the tanks both side and descaled (it did not need that) and is ready for pickup. Great outcome so I guess they do stick by their reputation of providing the best radiator services.

By the by they recommend Tectaloy regular use coolant in the cooling systems for the corty. Not sure why because it has the same properties and most good brand anti boil/freeze/corrosion inhibitors. He said it had to do with less likely to be affected by electrolysis. The later I think will also be countered by correctly installing the radiator insulator grommets, so it's bit of a mystery to me this one. Oh he did add for some reason the newer coolant will corrode the older style radiators very quickly sometime within days, OMG I never thought that was possible. Think I will stick to what I know in the belief their solder job was not up to spec, still AAA made good so all good in the end.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Ford Cortina TC XLE

Quote Originally Posted by TDCorty View Post
    12 Months so when I explained that the radiator has had little or no use the guy said kilometres don't count it's the age... I checked my receipt it was re-cored in Nov 2012 so I said to the HO guy to whom I was speaking cause I rang their HO to complain. "So are you telling me that if I left the radiator on the shelf for 4 years and it did this that's OK because regardless of how the radiator gets used it's got a 12 month life span" yes he said,,, really I asked!! He caved and agreed it was not a good look. Got a phone call this morning AAA have completely resoldered the tanks both side and descaled (it did not need that) and is ready for pickup. Great outcome so I guess they do stick by their reputation of providing the best radiator services.

By the by they recommend Tectaloy regular use coolant in the cooling systems for the corty. Not sure why because it has the same properties and most good brand anti boil/freeze/corrosion inhibitors. He said it had to do with less likely to be affected by electrolysis. The later I think will also be countered by correctly installing the radiator insulator grommets, so it's bit of a mystery to me this one. Oh he did add for some reason the newer coolant will corrode the older style radiators very quickly sometime within days, OMG I never thought that was possible. Think I will stick to what I know in the belief their solder job was not up to spec, still AAA made good so all good in the end.
    Gosh that is some story. Cheers for sharing it.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    LTD 1971

What coolant did you use in the radiator before ?

The biggest problem with old iron block and heads is rust scale blocking the cores.

Using coolant past it's use by date is a big no no, and crap types of water.

In the days of iron block heads we used a rust prevention only or nothing but good water, nowadays with alloy engines it's a whole different game play.

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenberger View Post
    What coolant did you use in the radiator before ?

The biggest problem with old iron block and heads is rust scale blocking the cores.

Using coolant past it's use by date is a big no no, and crap types of water.

In the days of iron block heads we used a rust prevention only or nothing but good water, nowadays with alloy engines it's a whole different game play.
    I use Auto 1 ready mix which is as good as any of the long life coolants like I said not that Tectaloy is any better it's just what the AAA radiator guy recommended. Yeah this was the gist of the thread I read about radiator coolants and with a anti rust coolant in the older cars after rebuild you will get a significant improvement in cooling and rust reduction by not using water. After reading the thread on radiator cleaning it comes down to a lot of different variables but the primary principals are;-
    - good insulation off the body
    - good engine ground to stop electrolysis
    - change the coolant at least every three years no matter what it says on the bottle about longer life etc,,,

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information