+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lowering front springs

  1. #1
    Experienced(Not) 1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    newcastle,woodberry
    Ride
    1975 TD XL 250 2V
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Lowering front springs

    Hi all,
    Ive got super lows in the front with stock wheels and i still want it lower,prob about 2" or 3".
    Ive heard about people using 4cyl front springs.
    Mabybe cutting the super lows,i don't know.

    Someone help?
    Bren.
    i secretly prefer holdens

  2. #2
    Should know better 77tewagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney & Ilford
    Ride
    3 X 1977 TE Wagons
    Posts
    1,861

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    we trimmed the super lows on my TE - took 1 coil out - it obviously changes the dynamics of the spring etc blah blah blah, but it gives you the look

    mmmmmmmmm... wagons.......


  3. #3
    Forum Veteran TDCorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hornsby Hts - Sydney
    Ride
    74 TD - 2V
    Posts
    1,770

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Quote Originally Posted by 77tewagon View Post
    we trimmed the super lows on my TE - took 1 coil out - it obviously changes the dynamics of the spring etc blah blah blah, but it gives you the look
    Are you serious Pete, I never knew you could chop up springs, well of course you can with a grinder etc,,, I expect the question I really am asking here is "should you cut up springs" ?? Like you say apart from buggering the spring dynamics I thought each spring was made and tested to take certain load under certain conditions so they know what will make them collapse and what won't. Once you cut it the reliability is anyone's guess,,, isn't it...?

    Hey Bren, if lowering it will get it registered you might be able to drive it down my way next year for the all ford day....
    Last edited by TDCorty; 04-08-2015 at 06:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Experienced(Not) 1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    newcastle,woodberry
    Ride
    1975 TD XL 250 2V
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Hey Bren, if lowering it will get it registered you might be able to drive it down my way next year for the all ford day....[/QUOTE]

    Funny fkr Ken
    It's a long way off registering.
    i secretly prefer holdens



  5. #5
    Forum Regular TEguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Ride
    TE Cortina
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Quote Originally Posted by TDCorty View Post
    Are you serious Pete, I never knew you could chop up springs, well of course you can with a grinder etc,,, I expect the question I really am asking here is "should you cut up springs" ?? Like you say apart from buggering the spring dynamics I thought each spring was made and tested to take certain load under certain conditions so they know what will make them collapse and what won't. Once you cut it the reliability is anyone's guess,,, isn't it...?

    Hey Bren, if lowering it will get it registered you might be able to drive it down my way next year for the all ford day....
    Cutting the springs will simply make them stiffer. They will still be able to withstand the same load / impact, they just won't contract as much as a longer spring.
    Last edited by TEguy; 05-08-2015 at 10:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Should know better 77tewagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sydney & Ilford
    Ride
    3 X 1977 TE Wagons
    Posts
    1,861

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Ken, as I said, it is not recommended to cut springs. My observation of the lowered springs is that they are usually thicker steel with less space between coils. They are by their very nature stiffer and do not allow as much travel. We took one coil out of my ones which physically dropped it about an inch. The shocks are then loaded by an extra inch, but when I load my wagon up she can drop about 3 inches depending on the weight, and there is still a bit of travel left in the suspension. The cutting was the last resort, but it achieved the right level for my wagon, and because it was only 1 coil the associated flow on effects on the dynamics of the suspension are limited. I must admit it handles on another level again at this height - on the original springs etc it had a lot of body roll - it is much nicer to throw into corners now without having to rely on drifting to get around them!!

    mmmmmmmmm... wagons.......


  7. #7
    Forum Veteran TDCorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hornsby Hts - Sydney
    Ride
    74 TD - 2V
    Posts
    1,770

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Hey tks guys for the tips, sorry Bren for buggering your thread. Hey Pete, I really did not know but good to know these tricks. I have a spare set I might give them a trim and see how it looks

  8. #8
    Experienced(Not) 1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    newcastle,woodberry
    Ride
    1975 TD XL 250 2V
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Quote Originally Posted by TDCorty View Post
    Hey tks guys for the tips, sorry Bren for buggering your thread. Hey Pete, I really did not know but good to know these tricks. I have a spare set I might give them a trim and see how it looks
    Ken
    Did you trim those springs?
    i secretly prefer holdens

  9. #9
    Forum Veteran TDCorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hornsby Hts - Sydney
    Ride
    74 TD - 2V
    Posts
    1,770

    Default Re: Lowering front springs

    Hey Bren, no I did not for several reasons none the least the Lensos won't fit under the guard without fouling and then I broke a spring compressor so I gave up.... how did you go?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts