+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The great NBN

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Default The great NBN

last week its been almost impossible to get online. Had been blamed for using too much data over Christmas, then jan and feb it was worse.

wife rang to complain Monday--and it magically was working as she rang up.
    yesterday took 2+ hours to log in to home page so I rang and got a very helpful gent. He walked me through the changing DNS settings clearing and clearing cookies[as if].

the speed test after--line speed 4.04 Mbps and down load 506 KB/s. before the download rate was under 25 KB/s.

the issue I have is have no other options. the helpful gent informs me that the system has a line speed of 6 so 4 is great.??????

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Default Re: The great NBN

Yeah its a shame not everyone has NBN or equivalent. It really makes things so much easier.

I assume you have ADSL? If so try restarting the modem, otherwise you've done the right thing calling support. It could be rain affect phone lines between you and the exchange, but not much you can do with it. The distance between you and the exchange will affect your max sync speed. So if they say 6Mbps sync potential, depending on line quality 4Mbps may be what you can achieve considering.
    Last edited by baboon; 07-03-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

satalite.
    early last year it was the same system as the TV. I think its called Kband pointing north.
    It was upgraded with a larger west pointing dish.

rebooting router-regular operation as the system times out to higher priorities.

the system provider claims rate at 6 maximum. the tech assistance thought it was great that it passed 4.

old dial up was better but not cheaper as it was long distance call plus internet.
    Its 200 meters of good copper to a node that the best optic cable was installed years ago to give us then the worlds best-all that stuff was cancelled so no grade of the node to allow it to be used.

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Done some reading on the NBN satellite plans and apparently the fair use policy had been breached for some ISP's and NBN co has limited satellite users to 20GB of download per month. If you use more, you'll be throttled to 128/128kbps for two weeks.

This I reckon is what your going through, which makes it unusable.

Read through this whirlpool forum thread for more info: NBN satellite NEW 50GB limit?

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

The system is a government assistance package for remote families to allow us in rural communities axcess to computors and TV at the same cost as in a city.. I live 45 minutes north eastfrom Newcastle CBD so that is in the outback and we have no TV broadcast due to digital network stuffups .Testra in this area upraded the cables in the ground years ago, then wont upgrade the nodes or exchange to allow basics because of politics.

originally it was 20 Gb plan with 80+% offpeak between midnight and early morning. they dropped the price again and changed to a mid day to midnight peak time.
    NBN took it over, so the better ISP sold out or closed and for low income families [of average income] they dropped the cost again and removed the peak allocation. Then the ramped the down load so you cant use 20 gig in a week you cant a large amount in an hour.

the use 50 gig refered to on the whirlpool isn't possible. and the conection speed was near 0.

On Q&A on ABC in an answer to a question previous government to meet public target over sold the satalite subsciption,
    The 2 Australian satalite that have not been built or launched had been added into then capability. This would explain why they turned up and replaced the system to the current dish when the current government took over.

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Yeah sounds like a big problem. Sounds like since the takeover, there has been an overcongestion on their network, hence the speed throttling on satellite plans. Bad planning maybe?

I can only think your answer will be in time, or if you ever decide to move house to a better coverage area.

The problem of over congestion is happening in suburbs of melbourne as well, with people with ADSL. Certain peak times, they cannot load web pages. You would not think in a big city like Mel would be a problem would you? Mind you there are other alternatives with 4G mobile network, but can cost arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon View Post
    Mind you there are other alternatives with 4G mobile network, but can cost arm and a leg.
    I use Telstra mobile internet prepaid when I travel and also at work, I have the 365 days 12 GB priced at $200, this usually covers me well for year with internet browsing, emails & the odd downloading, on some occasions the internet can be slow due to remote areas where high use of phone/mobile activity.
    Last edited by PD56; 08-03-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Im on the intrim satalite.
    http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home...satellite.html

A ’commercial broadband service’ is a service that can offer peak data speeds of at least 512/128 kbps and 3GB per month usage allowance (with no restrictions within these limits on downloads or uploads or usage time) and at a cost to the end user of no more than $2,500 (incl. GST) of monthly ongoing charges over three years, excluding equipment and connection costs.

The local government plan I might shift to will cost me $3 a month for calls and some amount for data[unknown].
    Last edited by Davehoos; 08-03-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Quote Originally Posted by PD56 View Post
    I use Telstra mobile internet prepaid when I travel and also at work, I have the 365 days 12 GB priced at $200, this usually covers me well for year with internet browsing, emails & the odd downloading, on some occasions the internet can be slow due to remote areas where high use of phone/mobile activity.
    Not too bad if its work related, and for its portability its great. But the 12GB limit might not suit everyone, as I know some would consume 12GB in a week easy.
    Last edited by baboon; 09-03-2015 at 10:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information