+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PK 2011 Ford Rangerstarting problem

Ride
    Ranger PK

Default PK 2011 Ford Rangerstarting problem

Hi all ,
    I've read loads on this forum already but still I'm having no success with trying to solve my starting problem with a PK 2011 Ford Ranger.
    Basically I purchased a 2011 model ranger with approx 65,000 k on clock , the ute was a liquidation sale, so I have limited info on the vehicle.
    The ute has plenty of pick and go , but blows a fair amount of black smoke, because the ute had been sitting for 9 months I presumed it just needed a good run.
    On the way home I ran a bottle of injector cleaner though the first tank , and put another in the second tank.
    But after a few days arriving home the ute become harder to start and was constantly winding over, so I replaced the battery, still the ute would start when it felt like it.
    I since dropped the oil , changed air , fuel and oil filters.
    Due to have another Ranger Pk 2011 I've cleaned the EGR sensor followed by swapped it , changed the suction control valve sensor ,changed the fuel pump, changed the starter motor.
    I have checked all fuses that I know of
    Fuel is getting up into the injectors , I have cracked and noted fuel on all injectors and still it will not fire.
    On the times the ute has started the engine runs fine with plenty of pick up , but just decides when it wants to start.
    I have spoken to the injectors experts and they all doubt it's a faulty injector , but can test at $50 each just to rule this out.

Has any one else had this problem or might know of wtf is going on as I'm really over it all?

Default Re: PK 2011 Ford Rangerstarting problem

Sounds like low fuel pressure, has the injector pump been tested?
    Another area could be faulty glow plugs, Black smoke could be intercooler problems
    Last edited by PD56; 06-10-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Ride
    Ranger PK

Quote Originally Posted by PD56 View Post
    Sounds like low fuel pressure, has the injector pump been tested?
    Another area could be faulty glow plugs, Black smoke could be intercooler problems
    I think it's not related to glow plugs as I can drive it for 3-4 hrs solid fuel up then it fails to start.
    Can try injector pump but considered it before and told its a long shot, but I'm getting desperate now.

As I said it sounds like fuel pressure issues, have you had a diagnostic reader connected to see if any codes are recorded?
    If not fuel could be a sensor fault causing starting issues.

Ride
    09 Ford Ranger PK

This might be a shot in the dark but I wonder if the anti start security system is playing up. I have a 2009 PK wildtrak and I do all my servicing on my own but once a yr I take it to ford to reset/check the computer setting and have never had a problem. Have you changed ya fuel filter and bleed the water from it if its not done automatically
    Last edited by jacko60; 10-10-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Ride
    Communist Red badged

where are you located? and do you know what state the ranger came from?

remember reading previously on the forums that there were one or two people that had starting issues with "isolators" (or something similar) that had been fitted to vehicles that had been used in mines
    94 ED Fairmont...... EL 15x7alloys with 225's on the rear, 205's on front. Transmission cooler for towing, tinted windows
    2006 Territory..... the family cruiser......

Ride
    Ford Ranger

Ok, here's my tale. I had almost identical issues. 2007 PJ.

Checked fuel supply, aftermarket immobolizer etc. Came down to a faulty ECU.

Watch dash lights when you turn on key. ( Who does this anyway?)

you should get both Red and Orange.

Do you get all red check lights, and orange ECU and Glow Plug lights, or just red check lights.

If just red lights, the ECU is not powering up, but you can crank it over and get no where.

Mine went intermittent, and I had to turn key on and off and on and off and on and off, until orange lights came on,then it would start and run fine.

No codes to be read, cause if ECU don't work, no codes, and when it works its not faulty.

Can even sell you a faulty ECU if you like!

Ride
    Ranger PJ

I've had difficulty starting my PJ Ranger for quite some time and it gradually got worse, taking 3 to 4 turns of the key to start. Now it won,'t start at all and I've noticed my glow and check engine light don't come on at all, Faulty ECU?

Been a while for this thread but I wonder if the inlet manifold is blocked up with soot & oil residue due to the EGR, this seems to be a problem for CRD diesel engines with EGR fitted.

Ride
    Ranger PJ

If it's a bad ECU, can the car be clutch started?

Quote Originally Posted by GardenFawkes View Post
    If it's a bad ECU, can the car be clutch started?
    Are you saying the starter motor is not turning over the engine? trying push start method not sure if it will work.
    Last edited by PD56; 16-04-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Ride
    Ranger PJ

The car cranks over fine enough, just won't fire. I get no orange glow or engine light so I'm thinking it's a faulty ecu

Is your immobiliser light coming on when ignition is switched on? it should light up for a few seconds then go out, could be possible the immobiliser is playing up causing your problem.
    See if you can get a scan gauge to look for any fault codes that could be logged, this might give you some idea where to look next.

Ride
    Ranger PJ

What does it look like? I have the "man with the airbag" light come on and go off which I assume is airbag sensor.

Ride
    Ranger PJ

The light where the key goes in turns on if that's what you mean. I will need to get a mobile mechanic out tomorrow to have a look Will let you know what results occur)

The one marked security (No 10) is your immobiliser light on your instrument cluster, this is the one I was talking about.
    I marked it in red on the last picture.

Ride
    XLT RANGER

It could be the crank case angle sensor,(They get dirty and need cleaning and have been the cause of symptons you describe) or a faulty starter motor,the two are inter-twinned and seem to have caused grief.I gather you have a manual.It it clutch starts then i would say your starter is faulty.By that i mean sending wrong signals to the ECU
    Last edited by STRANGER69; 17-04-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Ride
    Ranger PJ

My immobilizer light doesn't come on at all, thanks for your replays

Ride
    Ranger PJ

My Ranger is at Ford now, just phoned and the bloke said he couldn't get any fault codes so yep, ECU is cactus. He is going to hopefully chase down a secondhand one

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER69 View Post
    It could be the crank case angle sensor,(They get dirty and need cleaning and have been the cause of symptons you describe) or a faulty starter motor,the two are inter-twinned and seem to have caused grief.I gather you have a manual.It it clutch starts then i would say your starter is faulty.By that i mean sending wrong signals to the ECU
    Indeed, this is common !!
    You can remove and clean them, manual gearbox on top (left side ?) on bellhousing, auto (like mine !) PITA spot on trans from underneath !!
    A heat shield to remove, and contort hands like anything to get to it.

Have you had a cel / code P0335 crankshaft position sensor at all ?
    Mine is a difficult start sometimes too and I get this sometimes come on.
    Can be several things, faulty or dirty CA sensor, low voltage, starter motor faulty.

In case it is glow plugs, I have often tried turning ignition on, leave glow light go out, a second or two later I hear a click, turn off briefly, ignition on again, wait again, then start.
    Sometimes it seems to help, but then this is such a spasmodic issue, it's hard to tell what it is !!

About 50% of hte time it just starts first click, frustrating, nad it could be anything mentioned above.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

Quote Originally Posted by GardenFawkes View Post
    My Ranger is at Ford now, just phoned and the bloke said he couldn't get any fault codes so yep, ECU is cactus. He is going to hopefully chase down a secondhand one
    Hope this is correct diagnosis, and not the usual way for Ford to diagnose problems . . . they pick expensive components that could cause the issue, then starting with the most expensive, replace one by one until they fix it !
    Very costly excercise.

There simply might not have been any fault codes showing ?
    If they couldn't work with the ECU in any way, maybe it is fried, but very unusual.

Ride
    XLT RANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Les PK Ranger View Post
    Indeed, this is common !!
    You can remove and clean them, manual gearbox on top (left side ?) on bellhousing, auto (like mine !) PITA spot on trans from underneath !!
    A heat shield to remove, and contort hands like anything to get to it.

Have you had a cel / code P0335 crankshaft position sensor at all ?
    Mine is a difficult start sometimes too and I get this sometimes come on.
    Can be several things, faulty or dirty CA sensor, low voltage, starter motor faulty.

In case it is glow plugs, I have often tried turning ignition on, leave glow light go out, a second or two later I hear a click, turn off briefly, ignition on again, wait again, then start.
    Sometimes it seems to help, but then this is such a spasmodic issue, it's hard to tell what it is !!

About 50% of hte time it just starts first click, frustrating, nad it could be anything mentioned above.
    I have been pretty blessed so far in regards to electronic reliability-no gremlins yet.The crank sensor was replaced at 80,000 when the clutch went bang,so that would explain that i havent had that issue yet.
    Yeah the manual is much easier to replace,you can see it from top.
    My old courier (1986)is started exactly the way you describe,you have to wait a couple of seconds for a "clunk"after glow plug light goes out and she starts straight away.

On a side note you still running the ozbush unit?

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER69 View Post
    I have been pretty blessed so far in regards to electronic reliability-no gremlins yet.The crank sensor was replaced at 80,000 when the clutch went bang,so that would explain that i havent had that issue yet.
    Yeah the manual is much easier to replace,you can see it from top.
    My old courier (1986)is started exactly the way you describe,you have to wait a couple of seconds for a "clunk"after glow plug light goes out and she starts straight away.

On a side note you still running the ozbush unit?
    I took my CAS out and checked for anything metallic on it etc, apparently this can cause incorrect readings . . . it was clean as, but gave it a spray of CRC Sensor Clean anyway, along with the connectors etc in case of any dust etc, allowed to dry and replaced.
    Didn't make any difference, but suppose the actually sensor could be gone (unlikely though).

I really feel it's my starter, have done a few decent water crossings up to headlight level, possible it is going on me . . . will get around to changing it soon, maybe before a fairly big trip in June.
    Will just hunt down a 2nd hand one.

Yes, the Ozbush mapper is going great !
    No further probs with CELS since upgraded unit from my early test one, gawd, that might be well over a year now.
    I know the EGR is not causing me grief long term, and maybe (just maybe) I am about 1 lt / 100km better off with econ, so hard to really tell with mods always ongoing.

But I'm very happy with around mid 10lt/100 on highway sitting on the posted limits, low 10s if sitting on 95 or so, mid teens on desert trips.
    With 185lt on board I get a great range and can pick my fuel stops to make trips quite a lot less costly.

As long as there's no bloody head winds

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

Hmm, thinking about it, I will check my Earths are still all good.
    Have heard this is a common problem with voltage to starter too.

Ride
    XLT RANGER

At least that doesnt cost dollars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information