+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you save. all the stuff on a laptop ?

Default How do you save. all the stuff on a laptop ?

hi bear in mind your talking to a 50 odd year old non computer guy. im getting a newer laptop . and dont want to lose all my pics etc from my laptop running on xp . they are in folders all over the place. holidays from different years ,weddings,births etc
    how do you back up a hard drive ? . i have cables to plug the old hard drive into my newer one .but a few times i have tried it it comes up with an empty folder .(not on all the folders but some )

where am i going wrong ? ps. the newer laptop is still running on xp. ( i know im a dinosaur )

, ___! !__ ,*"*..*"*,
    /\_______\" ._. "
    |_|_[]____|-|-|-|-|-|-
    ., ' ._. ' , ' ._. ' ,
    " ._. """""" ._. "
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Re: How do you save. all the stuff on a laptop ?

- quick question

-what operating system-
    -is the computer still functional- or is affected by bugs/hardware failure or viruses
    -how familiar you are with computers? newbie, midrange, hi-end, genius
    Last edited by Perun; 30-08-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Ride
    xh xr8

Hi and welcome to the Forum. An easy way to solve your dilemma may be to cut and paste all your loose files into one big folder (open the various files, say one window at a time, then drag the contents into another window) in Windows. Or use cut and paste from the mouse, hold left button down and drag over file, right click and select "copy" or "cut". Then left click in desired target folder and select "paste". This is best explained in the person. The best sermon is a good example. Suggest buy a seperate hard drive from **** Smith or Office Works (about a tetragig for a hundred bucks or less) and ask one of the staff there about drag and drop and cut and paste. Easy once shown, good luck and cheers.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

Quote Originally Posted by falconxh View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Forum. An easy way to solve your dilemma may be to cut and paste all your loose files into one big folder (open the various files, say one window at a time, then drag the contents into another window) in Windows. Or use cut and paste from the mouse, hold left button down and drag over file, right click and select "copy" or "cut". Then left click in desired target folder and select "paste". This is best explained in the person. The best sermon is a good example. Suggest buy a seperate hard drive from **** Smith or Office Works (about a tetragig for a hundred bucks or less) and ask one of the staff there about drag and drop and cut and paste. Easy once shown, good luck and cheers.
    Drag and drop might just leave you with just shortcuts, copy and paste is all most XP machines would need. El you should know that encryption usually requires extra work the average user can't be bothered with in windows world.
    The files you need should mostly be in (whatever drive letter):\Documents and Settings and possibly in some other weird locations, don't get too worked up as long as the drive is still working you have plenty of opportunity to catch up with missed files; an easy tool to use is the file search function and do a mass copy of all .jpg and so on type things and weed out the trash into a more organized system and do a decent backup run while you are at it.

thank a lot

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information