+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One big step for mankind.

Ride
    2005 BA Falcon Sedan

Default One big step for mankind.

OK, at 74 I am no chicken and think I have a reasonable grip on the computer thing, BUT.
    I have been on Windows 7 for a few years after starting on Windows 95 back around 1998.
    I have Windows 8 arriving in the next day or so, and am going to need some tips I am sure, after spending a few hrs on my mates Windows 8.
    The first challenge will be transferring my address book of about 100 addresses from my existing Windows Live Mail. Also I didn't like the Windows 8 E-mail system too much, and would like to install Windows Live Mail on the new computer. Any input will be really helpful for my well used brain box.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Re: One big step for mankind.

I was on computer since the Dos and Commodorre 64 days and the early versions
    of Linux at the command prompt. I still remember the awe and wonder of graphical
    user interfaces. Its good to see old folks are taking to computers with zeal and
    showing how technology not only has pitfalls but benefits as well. Tape drives
    and cassettes now are replaced by hard drives, SSD's and SAS setups.

The people who trained me in computers came from the punch card and
    mainframe days before the personal computers made their mark in
    the mid 80's. I remember a brand called Microbee as well. Those were
    the days. The internet I saw in 1994 I could see its benefits but also
    its dangers as well once the public and businesses went online they
    brought the outside world of troubles with them. However for
    my military, academic and scientific friends- that was only a matter
    of time.

There is no such thing as growing old- however giving up is another thing
    and there is always something new to learn or a insight from others in
    how they see the world. I was a late bloomer acadmically too dumb
    for high school yet later on too smart for university. Im not arrogant
    though like some academics and know life is about learning and one
    source of information is not always the best and a multitude is needed
    to gain a greater picture of ones environment - or the military would
    call a 'situational awareness'.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 10-08-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Ride
    2005 BA Falcon Sedan

Yeh ELSpeedo, it was back in 1998 when I was out of work for a few weeks and the forerunner to Centrelink, ( I can't remember the name ), offered a 7 week coarse of Windows 95. That was In Kalgoorlie WA, which is out in the bush and it was a real treat. I jumped on the band wagon and it was the best decision I ever made.
    Now about 6 computers later, life without a computer would be like life without any arms.

You can install Windows Live Mail on windows 8 if you wish.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Young Simmo View Post
    Yeh ELSpeedo, it was back in 1998 when I was out of work for a few weeks and the forerunner to Centrelink, ( I can't remember the name ), offered a 7 week coarse of Windows 95. That was In Kalgoorlie WA, which is out in the bush and it was a real treat. I jumped on the band wagon and it was the best decision I ever made.
    Now about 6 computers later, life without a computer would be like life without any arms.

Firefox is rather vulnerable and using IE is suicide...that is all.

I hack into (insert annoying country/s here) for fun PD56 you should not tell me who you run...they may be listening

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/will...s-flop-pattern
    Lets hope Windows 9 does not suck as bad as Windows 8 which led to Balmer+GUI head being sacked for incompetence.
    It would be nice if Bill Gates had a more direct hand in OS design as XP was his last one...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bil...sor,25951.html
    Ballmer was a idiot (Vista/7/Windows 8)- Bill Gates however is the guy who made 95 a
    big hit and XP last for so long so I hope Windows 9 is a great OS as I hate Mac even more.
    I love it when some of my customers as 'do you fix mac' and I respond with the answer
    there great when they work but when the die they die so badly data recovery is in the lap of the
    Gods. In Windows and Linux the pain is not so bad. Lets hope Windows 9
    network drivers/HAL/registry/firewall is the most secure yet. Windows Updates have
    improved greatly but DLL vulnerabilities and system recovery needs improvement..He's
    back in charge and I think Macs are very overrated especially with all the problems in
    China of late and problems with some of their updating and Icloud stuff...

quote-
    What does this mean? Why is Bill back? At best, the message is that Satya is the talent and leadership Microsoft needs to succeed in enterprise and cloud computing, a monstrous market, but lacks vision when it comes to consumer product and direction. At worst, Gates' presence is purely to appease shareholders who believe Microsoft needs fresh blood and a true innovator to move forward. A mix of the two is probably most likely. As we said earlier, if Microsoft can leverage its position in the work place in order to expand its reach in enterprise and take it to the next level with cloud services, it's looking at a very bright future. Satya's vision for Microsoft undoubtedly revolves around enterprise, cloud computing, and big data. He definitely doesn't need Bill to help him get there (Microsoft's revenue from Cloud Services went from $16.6 billion to $20.3 billion in the two years after Satya was put in charge of the Cloud and Enterprise group). So Gates' new role is likely just a reassurance that someone with a reputation for innovation and success is still involved, influencing decisions with sound judgement, and offering advice on products.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/w...rmer-mac-user/

1280P- 60FPS on a Console? were already running 4k you lowsy console peasants- give up or hurri-curri yourselves
    you cannot and will not fit cpu power in such a small underpowered piece of crap as its technically impossible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G49...T8sOzCyLtZioWw
    From doing for spreadsheets before sundown to tractor simulations- console peasants be damned.

PCs and Workstations build the games for the consoles and have to 'downgrade' them due to physical and mathematical
    limitations on hardware.We also have much more important jobs as our brains are able to do complex tasks a console
    just cannot do.

Yes Linux is dangerous for the un-initiated, Windows is the preferred choice and Mac is downright stupid.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 24-08-2014 at 04:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information