+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM appoints first female CEO

Experienced Member Sir Rohsis of Liver's Avatar
    Ride
    '76 F100, '70 F250,

Default GM appoints first female CEO

GM appoints first female CEO

11 December, 2013 Brent Balinski

General Motors has been appointed the company’s first female CEO, Mary Barra, who will replace Dan Akerson early next year.
    Image: mashable.com/
    The ABC and others report that Barra is the fifth CEO in less than five years at Holden’s US parent company, and comes in the same week that the US Treasury – which bailed the car maker out following the GFC – sold the last of its shares in GM.

Barra is 51 and, according to Mashable, started at the company at 19 at its Pontiac division. She has been senior vice president of global product development since 2011, and is currently tasked with reducing the number of global platforms that the company builds cars on.

Akerson, GM’s CEO and chairman, will step down on January 15 after originally planning to do so in mid- to –late 2014. His departure has been hastened by his wife’s diagnosis with an advanced stage cancer.

GM has stressed that Barra’s promotion is based on merit and not gender, and the 33-year GM employee will follow two CEOs at the car maker who came from outside of the automotive industry.

"There's nobody with more years of honest 'car-guy' credentials than she has," said Professor Erik Gordon from the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.

"She started off as a little-girl car guy. She became a big-girl car guy and how she's a woman car guy. She's the one to do the breakthrough."

According to News Corp, it is unclear if Barra will have the say on whether or not Holden stops manufacturing cars in Australia.

Source: Manufacturer's Monthly.
    This probably has a lot to do with delays in a decision and/or announcements on Holden's future.

Ah well..... I doubt she could do any worse than any of her predecessors of recent times.
    Indeed, the simple fact the she has a engineering background and isn't another damned bean counter should be a big plus!
    "Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Re: GM appoints first female CEO

I agree more engineers less beancounters, Beancounters belong in banks not running car companies.

In the glory days of the US Space Program I believe when a Engineer had a good idea that works- all the
    job the beancounter had to do was stamp the approval notice and balance the books rather design than
    design boring plastic cars designed for the bottom line rather than the red line. Cars that sell need appeal
    style and substance and price is only one factor.

I wish her well.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 12-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Rohsis of Liver View Post
    This probably has a lot to do with delays in a decision and/or announcements on Holden's future.

Ah well..... I doubt she could do any worse than any of her predecessors of recent times.
    Indeed, the simple fact the she has a engineering background and isn't another damned bean counter should be a big plus!
    I think she might do a good job but unfortunately with GM closing manufacturing here will not make things easy for her.

Good luck to her.

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

While they appoint an investment Banker as president... As if anyone with cars in mind will have a say there in the long run.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve View Post
    While they appoint an investment Banker as president... As if anyone with cars in mind will have a say there in the long run.
    I think its ironic because it was the investment and lending arm of GM that got itself into such deep debt with clients who could not pay for their cars
    (ala Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac) the government had to bail them out....
    You would think investment bankers are just as feared as people who sell nuclear weapons on the blackmarket and for whats happened in 2008 and its reprocussions. Well the money cycle as you know is from many and varied places and money travels where money is to be gained and not to be tricked into giving money for little in return. There all this talk of a recovery next year though evidence provided so far makes Mark Faber laugh as the same
    cast is running the show who were at fault so its little likelihood of a clean slate at present. Maybe the problems have not bad enough yet for
    this theory to be considered. Or as Winston Churchill said the Americans will eventually do the right thing once they have fully explored
    every other option...

Maybe that why im sticking with older cars modern cars (from all the futuristic books I read back in the 80's they don't compare sorry) seem less sophisticated than I expected. You are correct what is happening in the car industry. They make for the 80% majority of plebs who buy compromised works of machinery which are handling worse with less features than older cars had- the push towards FWD to cut costs shows that cars have become disposible as the latest tech gadget with little appeal in keeping them or admiring the engineers shoddy work... Im going retro Wizards and not just for EMP protection either...

War and 'competition' helps technology - peace promotes stagnation and complacency. When you look at car technology
    ironically the biggest gains were made in the 60-70-80's and some more computerisation in the 90's. While there is
    more computerisation in cars today its debatable if this reduces accident with more drivers with poorer skills on the road
    and relying on computer system that potentially in the future could be vulnerable to hacking. I suppose the road to hell
    is paved with good intentions...smart grids are a nightmare that they have not realised yet.

Lets hope the global situation get worse next year. We may see some decent technology appearing. More 21st century than
    old hat 20th stuff but I ain't holding my breath either.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 25-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Should be clear what happened now. Government sells out shares, company announces they've been in a process of genocide for years because the business case didn't stack up to do the recall, so put Bambi in front of the headlights and hope the thing survives.

US government has pulled off the con of the century and Dan Ackerson runs off like Albert 'i knew nussing' Speer.

appalling...
    13 murdered in the name of business and the government walks away. Astounding!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    EL fairmont

Great, a woman in charge of deciding which car ranges will survive.

Prepare for front wheel drive eco friendly pieces of crap!

Bye bye family sized man cars...

Fail.

Experienced Member Sir Rohsis of Liver's Avatar
    Ride
    '76 F100, '70 F250,

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Aussie View Post
    Prepare for front wheel drive eco friendly pieces of crap!
    That's exactly what GM has been making everywhere else and it was blokes who made those decisions
    "Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information