1 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Federal Election 2013

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Re: Federal Election 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    One of the major problems in this world is people who make assumptions. What makes you think i am Chinese? I am an Australian (OK mum was a Pom) who lived in China for five years and whilst I was there i used Chinamonty as a sign in and a skype address. Since I returned I decided to keep the moniker because I get very different answers from people by using it. You did a wise thing not going in to a Chinese family that you didn't get along with. family means everything to most Chinese.
    My question was a serious one. I work in electronics manufacturing and we see how projects and decisions are made based on what is coming up. Oh its Christmas/Chinese New Year/State Election/federal Election lets wait. More often than not these people are also the ones that say that government interferes or prevent them from doing things.
    Family means everything to a Hungarian as well. She may have been beautiful, worldly, kind and intelligent but
    as you and I know good families teach their children 'the ways of the world' and for the few that grow up with
    independant minds most of us cling to their parents ideas and views of the world- its in our genes after all
    to a extent. Her fathers views of the world reminded me of my days with my Grandfather and his friends
    and the conflicting ideologies. If I ever married her their would be a bitter fight between the inlaws
    and myself and for a girl of her upbringing to be forced to choose against family and a future would be
    too hard. My Grandfather dearly departed told me allot of the world and how to conduct oneself
    in life and thats my 'old school' upbringing. As the saying goes and im sure you agree- the more
    things change the more they stay the same.

All governments have to interefere with business now and then as we all have to answer to the dreaded ATO. So my business follows the rules and sometimes lobbies parliament when it thinks some rules need changing or need revision to keep up with a rapid pace of technology. I know Chinamonty your family faces a similar on to my family in Germany faced back in the last war with 'divided loyalties'. I know many Chinese Australians who know and speak the lingo as good as a local does. I could not live in China due to specific reasons due to my background. However I have many friends in China who update me with goings on. ELSpeedo nickname nearly became the MadKraut but EL Falcon and Speedo- ELSpeedo became the name. Now I know the little people often want nothing to do with politics or if otherwise will get involved if it would cost them safety, their livelihoods or loss in services so I don't think apathy was a good idea. I might rant sometimes about politicians living in another world from the rest of us however most politicians I know (or the good ones anyway) will hear out a arguement, comment or critique like a professional and would see what they could do for their constitutents to help and fullfill their obligations to the community. The others give a bad name to the profession. All im asking for forumers and Australians is to make a wise choice on the leader as they cannot whinge then for 3 odd years till something changes and allot can change as you in business im sure would know. It not like where voting for Putin, Putin or Putin- there are big policy differences between Libs and Labor. Some countries do envy your political system even America does to a extent. Some say in America 'The Executive' has too much power compared to the Senate but that a discussion one
    can conduct at a later time.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 22-07-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    AU1 Fairmont wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ELSpeedo View Post
    Family means everything to a Hungarian as well. She may have been beautiful, worldly, kind and intelligent but
    as you and I know good families teach their children 'the ways of the world' and for the few that grow up with
    independant minds most of us cling to their parents ideas and views of the world- its in our genes after all
    to a extent. Her fathers views of the world reminded me of my days with my Grandfather and his friends
    and the conflicting ideologies. If I ever married her their would be a bitter fight between the inlaws
    and myself and for a girl of her upbringing to be forced to choose against family and a future would be
    too hard. My Grandfather dearly departed told me allot of the world and how to conduct oneself
    in life and thats my 'old school' upbringing. As the saying goes and im sure you agree- the more
    things change the more they stay the same.

All governments have to interefere with business now and then as we all have to answer to the dreaded ATO. So my business follows the rules and sometimes lobbies parliament when it thinks some rules need changing or need revision to keep up with a rapid pace of technology. I know Chinamonty your family faces a similar on to my family in Germany faced back in the last war with 'divided loyalties'. I know many Chinese Australians who know and speak the lingo as good as a local does. I could not live in China due to specific reasons due to my background. However I have many friends in China who update me with goings on. ELSpeedo nickname nearly became the MadKraut but EL Falcon and Speedo- ELSpeedo became the name. Now I know the little people often want nothing to do with politics or if otherwise will get involved if it would cost them safety, their livelihoods or loss in services so I don't think apathy was a good idea. I might rant sometimes about politicians living in another world from the rest of us however most politicians I know (or the good ones anyway) will hear out a arguement, comment or critique like a professional and would see what they could do for their constitutents to help and fullfill their obligations to the community. The others give a bad name to the profession. All im asking for forumers and Australians is to make a wise choice on the leader as they cannot whinge then for 3 odd years till something changes and allot can change as you in business im sure would know. It not like where voting for Putin, Putin or Putin- there are big policy differences between Libs and Labor. Some countries do envy your political system even America does to a extent. Some say in America 'The Executive' has too much power compared to the Senate but that a discussion one
    can conduct at a later time.
    I will say again. Australia is my system (China is not my system and never will be) Dad was Australian and as I said previously mum was a Pom as was my eldest brother. The unfortunate thing with our system is we now seem to be electing a PM rather than a Government which I find completely wrong - too American. I like your rants actually although I don't agree with all of them.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    I will say again. Australia is my system (China is not my system and never will be) Dad was Australian and as I said previously mum was a Pom as was my eldest brother. The unfortunate thing with our system is we now seem to be electing a PM rather than a Government which I find completely wrong - too American. I like your rants actually although I don't agree with all of them.
    Good to hear and I thought so anyway. You did not sound like a 'mainlander' but a native at heart.
    As my Grandfather says in his discussion 'agree to disagree'. You have brought up good points. America is the beacon of freedom to the free-world and like it or not when most country gets into political and or military trouble who do they call- The French, The Russians, The Chinese no they annoy the Americans. I think the Liberals do a photostat copy of the Republican campaign like Mitt Romney was but that is my humble opinion. Labor has gone back to its root and if rank and file preselection is the go well I may join them again as the Libs don't allow you to pick leaders...after all in 2007 people voted for Rudd not Gillard. I think Abbott vs Turnbull I prefer Turnbulls superior political wisdom and you have to wonder how Tony Abbott said Turnbull invented the internet or did Turnbull make him look foolish....Rudd may win if the Liberals don't get any runs on the board with policies which I have not read all of them yet...though Rudd
    should exampt Austrailian cars from CGT and consult with the car companies as well....considering he is more
    hardline on the boats/451 Visa than Abbott so his popularity im sure would increase. Labor is clawing back
    QLD and NSW in Western Sydney will probably decide the election...

if SA can saved Holden maybe Ford can be convinced to make a global Falcon in 2015. I doing my best
    here but I wish the Vict govt would seriously lobby the Feds to save Falcon and Vic production- as you
    cannot just rely on Holden if Ford goes- they both 'need' each other. The US has already dropped the
    Taurus against the Falcon- don't give up...

Quote-
    STATE and federal ministers will present a proposal to the Prime Minister Kevin Rudd urging alternatives to his proposed changes to the the way fringe benefit tax is calculated on cars.
    Premier Jay Weatherill and state Manufacturing Minister Tom Kenyon met Federal Innovation, Industry, Science and Research Minister Kim Carr in Melbourne this afternoon.
    The pair released a statement saying the discussions canvassed “a number of potential solutions” and they have resolved to present an alternative proposal to the Federal Government.
    Mr Weatherill said they also discussed the ongoing negotiations about the future of Holden in South Australia.
    “Those negotiations are progressing but there is still a substantial amount of work to be done before they are completed,” he said.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 22-07-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Election on September 7 2013.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...804-2r7qe.html

Quote-
    This will be a campaign like no other. Never before has a prime minister opened his campaign by inviting his opponent to join him in weekly debates until polling day on September 7, starting on day one.
    Never before has the incumbent announced the election date on social media and included a plea for donations in his opening statement. The surprise was that he didn't post a "selfie" of the Rudd family conference that decided on this course.
    Never before has a PM conceded at the start of a campaign that, if the election had been held this weekend, he would have lost. And, never before, has a two-term government crafted a campaign around doing things "a new way".
    Rudd's audacity is reflected in the readiness to appropriate the words of John Howard, another prime minister who entered a campaign under pressure, and declare that this election is about who you trust. Howard, of course, won that campaign in 2004.

Deliberately, there were no surprises from Tony Abbott in reply. What you have seen and heard over the past three years, he pledged, is what you will get. "We won't let you down." The most potent line is the one Abbott has already used repeatedly: "Do you really want three more years like the last six?"
    The rub is that Abbott won't lead a minority government if, as the polls suggests, the result is another hung parliament. So, if you want the certainty of change, he says, vote for the Coalition.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

the only way to get a better government-is a majority government with good independent thought.

Never before has a prime minister opened his campaign by inviting his opponent to join him in weekly debates
    nothing to loose.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
    the only way to get a better government-is a majority government with good independent thought.

nothing to loose.
    weekly debates sound good. Would be interested in both their skills not answered by 'um' 'no' or 'yes' and hopefully
    explain their policy decisions. Im as always suspicious about 'promises' and 'who do you trust slogans' by both parties
    as they appeal to peoples hopes but when reality sets in the current environment well you can only go so far...
    Well the opposition treasurer has got off to a good start saying everybody should be paying more interest rates. He must be parroting from the banking interests....since when do high interest rates stimulate a economy- dimwit. From the
    way this election is going it seems to be full of 'double-speak'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFujE3Y-ZI
    Joe Hockeys- Major Major moment.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/thestump/...witcher=mobile
    Yes Australia will turn into Europe with Hockey in charge of the treasury.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226691399145
    Im sure small business and home owners will be happy with low interest rates...

Quote-
    The Prime Minister said the suggestion was “a kick in the stomach” for Australian families struggling against cost of living pressures.

Mr Hockey made the comment this morning while launching a pre-emptive strike on the government ahead of a possible interest rate cut tomorrow.

“The fact of the matter is, we should not be in a position where interest rates are being cut, because the economy should be growing faster,” he said.

“That's what the government said was going to happen. And they got it wrong. And they keep getting it wrong, because you do not tax your wage prosperity.”

Mr Rudd said this afternoon: “Effectively what Mr Abbott's treasury spokesman is saying is, `It's OK, you can have higher interest rates'. I don't think that's right.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 06-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

I don't trust either of the current lot to have one bright idea that works between them......

And as for interest rates they aren't really set by the reserve, that more of a goverment suggestion system that has no basis in reality. As I think one of the forum members have suggested elsewhere it's a matter of borrowing (typically ATM from some international source that isn't making much money elsewhere) and reselling that finance in smaller bits to us with a bit of a markup. The reserve has zero influence other than advisory in this country.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    I don't trust either of the current lot to have one bright idea that works between them......

And as for interest rates they aren't really set by the reserve, that more of a goverment suggestion system that has no basis in reality. As I think one of the forum members have suggested elsewhere it's a matter of borrowing (typically ATM from some international source that isn't making much money elsewhere) and reselling that finance in smaller bits to us with a bit of a markup. The reserve has zero influence other than advisory in this country.
    A advisory role can be quite powerful so long as the advice has real world uses and can be applied in
    its relative disciplines... The Reserve is quite powerful but likes to stay out of the headlines...

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

how long have you lived in OZ--Im 48 and grew up with government adjusted interest rates-and unemployment.

some people remember the post fraser 80's,tax and interest rates-we didn't call it 2 speed in those days.we called it tax evasion,speculation and gambling.
    in 1988 I couldnt get a loan under 28% for a car.secured.12.5% for dealer employees.
    because of this I don't have house loan--like most Australians--and we need higher interest rate to pay for our luxuries.

lots of people like Joe-lots like Kev.
    both don't add up for me.
    cant see joe as treasurer.
    its a personality thing---they are like real estate agents.

Had 2 people in today with resume,1 on Monday.high skilled tradepersons.
    there has been 0 in 3 years.
    I had people in also today to tell me that we run out of money so I wont be getting a car.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

how long have you lived in OZ--Im 48 and grew up with government adjusted interest rates-and unemployment.

some people remember the post fraser 80's,tax and interest rates-we didn't call it 2 speed in those days.we called it tax evasion,speculation and gambling.
    in 1988 I couldnt get a loan under 28% for a car.secured.12.5% for dealer employees.
    because of this I don't have house loan--like most Australians--and we need higher interest rate to pay for our luxuries.

lots of people like Joe-lots like Kev.
    both don't add up for me.
    cant see joe as treasurer.
    its a personality thing---they are like real estate agents.

Had 2 people in today with resume,1 on Monday.high skilled tradepersons.
    there has been 0 in 3 years.
    I had people in also today to tell me that we run out of money so I wont be getting a car.
    I see what you mean. Look at this dimwit running for parliament \/. He does not even know his parties
    manifesto when the election is not far away. Poor show. I won't be voting for the Liberals if this
    is how they answer questions...or field candiates. If I walked into his office he would get
    more than a 'blasting' more of the 'is this is what I get what I vote for- get of my office !!!'

As for Hockey abusing 'treasury' figures the last govt under Howard used with pride they
    gloated with in the economic better days of the late 90's they now rubbish. Its not like
    they have any 'trust' in the bank left. You don't vote for somebody because of 'promises'
    I would not marry somebody on that reason either. Promises are cheap actions only to win
    favor often without proof and policy and the 'real' statements you feed to public show what leadership
    you provide- or not.

I hear the Liberals also gonna increase the GST on us. But I mentioned that a while back from my spies
    in Canberra...cost of living my arse...

Id like a new Falcon too but the economy does not look so hot- Liberal or Labor for that matter.
    I know when they mention the GFC- its not the Geelong Football Club its the economists mean 'global'
    financial crisis did not ignore Australia in its 'outlook'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V--9cIScz8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to
    Brave Sir Robin ran away- braverly ran away

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...807-2rgx1.html
    Looks like Abbott takes his orders from Murrrdoch. I thought he was convicted for phone tapping
    back in the UK and bribing numerous officials for 'inside tips'...who were later forced to
    resign their positions and the forced closure of 'News of the World'...
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 09-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

I think I haven't really pointed out the oddity of the international finance thing enough for anyone to notice. Seriously if went into the bank with a bad credit rating and asked for a loan they would give me the worst rate possible for them to give me, especially as unsecured finance. If I went in and asked for a loan with a deposit, good credit rating and assets over the value of the loan and they handed me that rate I would go to the competition who would probably see it my way. This country has had a good credit rating and hasn't had a mass market panic but the official rates stay above what many other countries in a worse situation enjoy, we are just being fleeced by the 'international' in this equation and the whole country has been blind to it and the reserve has said it's OK we don't want to embarress the goverment. I don't expect the voters involved to show any sign of intelligence in this election either so I am reasonably sure I won't like the outcome either way.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    I think I haven't really pointed out the oddity of the international finance thing enough for anyone to notice. Seriously if went into the bank with a bad credit rating and asked for a loan they would give me the worst rate possible for them to give me, especially as unsecured finance. If I went in and asked for a loan with a deposit, good credit rating and assets over the value of the loan and they handed me that rate I would go to the competition who would probably see it my way. This country has had a good credit rating and hasn't had a mass market panic but the official rates stay above what many other countries in a worse situation enjoy, we are just being fleeced by the 'international' in this equation and the whole country has been blind to it and the reserve has said it's OK we don't want to embarress the goverment. I don't expect the voters involved to show any sign of intelligence in this election either so I am reasonably sure I won't like the outcome either way.
    Most educated people will also know that 'knowledge' and 'action' are rare in politics as we all know who
    funds who and whom to win and you would hope the 'vested interests' would govern for the common good...not the few.
    Now you can see why 'bitcoin' 'community credit' and new e-systems will soon compete with banks in a few years.
    The banks have not 're-liquidated' the global economy so if logic is true people will look for other sources of credit...
    If you need capital to fund a business venture and they won't give it- go to somebody who does.... Banks have
    manipulated interest rates for their own measure for too long and have not spread their wealth
    across the community...when you only help out your 'cronies' it becomes pretty evident after a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCHu1...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3c-aN6Y7OU
    Taxi drivers and young folks are better informed than some corrupt bankers who give their profession a bad name.
    Its like a computer company that sells a anti-virus product that protects you from most but not all viruses
    especially those from 'within'...
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 09-08-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Kevin Rudd vs Tony Abbott. It looks it could go either way. Debate on tonight.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226694706604
    Quote-

As the latest opinion polls showed Mr Rudd's ratings in terms of trust and better prime minister falling in relation to those of Mr Abbott, Mr Rudd challenged the Coalition leader to stop being "evasive".

"I think what the Australian people want to see is Mr Abbott stop being evasive on where the $70 billion worth of cuts are going to come from in jobs, health and education," Mr Rudd said in Hobart today.

"And what his specific plans are for the future of the goods and services tax.

"I think Australians are getting a little tired of Mr Abbott, who puts himself forward as the alternative prime minister being evasive on such basic things as $70 billion worth of cuts and the future of the goods and services tax.

"And Mr Abbott's challenge is to answer both those questions clearly when this national debate is held tomorrow night."

The Prime Minister said he was "delighted at last to be able to debate Mr Abbott". Terms for the 6.30pm debate from the National Press Club in Canberra were finally announced yesterday afternoon after a week of wrangling between the parties.

Mr Rudd has claimed that the Coalition will increase the rate and broaden the base of the GST if the Coalition wins office - including imposing it on food.

But Mr Abbott has rejected Mr Rudd's claims and has declared that any recommendations from a tax review would be put to the people at a subsequent election before being implemented.

Yes I need to see costings as well. Very inportant otherwise it would logically mean cuts to make such promises otherwise

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

pay TV news this morning is concentrating on the leaders.

all other news sources this morning have moved on to local points of view having a laugh at anti liberal comments.
    Most people here have factored in a liberal win-what media is now talking about is local candidates and senate mix.
    and how many labour seats will go in the hunter valley.it will be to who--clive palmer?

I had a presentation last weekend and the state member and local council was present.
    I was stunned that their was no mention of an election before/after or during.

several times recently ive been told that local major construction projects has been cancelled-but obviously nobody told the workers.
    how does that add into COSTINGS.

GFC.
    announced today that Germany has had real wages increase boost over 4 years.the rest of Europe has had a collapse in real wages.
    Germany needs to tax workers to fund industry.

sort of like raising GST?

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

several times recently ive been told that local major construction projects has been cancelled-but obviously nobody told the workers.
    how does that add into COSTINGS.

GFC.
    announced today that Germany has had real wages increase boost over 4 years.the rest of Europe has had a collapse in real wages.
    Germany needs to tax workers to fund industry.

sort of like raising GST?
    Germanies economy according to my friends over there is running out of steam. You cannot be the best performing economy in Europe when everybody else (if this was a car race)- France has blown its engine, The English don't have a reliable gearbox, The Irish + Hungarians are arguing with the race-stewarts for being sideswiped by the Germans, The Spanyards crashed out on the first few laps, the Italian motor caught on fire and the Portugese cars did'nt get off the start line. Their economy is going south also due to mistrust from other Euro countries. Many Euro countries see 'the German burden' to be very unwelcome like another time in history not so long ago...such as Spain and Ireland burdened by German debt slavery...the animosity grows in these countries into how their leaders were so gullible or manipulated they signed such unfair deals in the first place! Germany is not flavor of the month in Euroland thats for sure.

There is nobody to breathe down the Germans necks except the British but their poor economy really needs some oomph to really get going again...their banking system is still recovering after being shot to bits in 2008...

COSTINGS!!! I could not agree more. Both politicians can make all the promises in the world but if they are not costed or if they are not costed how can they make such claims. Abbott is RUNNING LATE with his costings. I will read them and scrutinise labors as well. With wage and business earnings dropping like bricks in the debate as one of the clever journalist mentioned their will be cuts now I heard on ABC Abbott is willing to go
    into 'defecit' to pay for new infrastructure to keep the economy going as China's economy heads South
    like Japan did in the 90's...So Rudd is'nt so bad with going into defecit for health+education+infrastructure+
    services+manufacturing support now the mining boom is finished.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 12-08-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Forum Regular

I don't usually air my views on politics but I have been watching this farce ever since labor got back into power 2 elections ago and I can't believe that this group is a "for the working class" people in society and look after the welfare of AUSSIES.
    The labor party these days is the most right wing left wing government we have had since keating dragged Australia into double digit unemployment all those years ago and of course VERY high interest rates.

The one thing I do get a little annoyed at with politics here is that SO many people think we have a system like the Americans where the leader of the country is ELECTED as a LEADER by the people, he/she is NOT. I hear boguns saying I never voted for him/her, which would be right, unless you were in their electorates. Rudd's electorate is Griffith and the ONLY way someone could say that they didn't vote for him is if they LIVED in that electorate.

The labor party, or the caucus (13 faceless persons NOT voted in), has power over policy issues and is so full of factions that it is a wonder the government functions AT ALL?

The Federal Parliamentary Australian Labor Party, commonly known as The Caucus, is divided along formal factional lines. The two biggest factions are the National Right and the National Left. Each of these factions contains smaller state-based factions, such as (on the Right) the Victorian Labor Unity group and (on the Left) the Victorian Socialist Left. Members who are not associated with either faction are described as Independents. The two main factions hold factional meetings once a week during Parliamentary sitting weeks.

Factional discipline has declined considerably in recent years. During the leadership contest between Kim Beazley and Mark Latham in December 2003, for example, members of both Left and Right were found in the camps of both candidates. Some of the most hostile relations in the Caucus are between members of the same faction: the relationship between Beazley and Simon Crean is one example.

Factional allegiances in the Caucus tend to be closely related to state political loyalties, and also to trade union affiliations. Large unions such as the Australian Workers' Union, the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union and the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association, regard as "theirs" Members and Senators who formerly held office in those unions, or who have received union support in gaining their preselections, and expect them to act in the union's interests.
    I am looking at the policies of BOTH parties as I have for some time and, it is hard to believe that the current labor party that sort of governs this country, will be able to change the current poor policies and FIX the issues this country suffers from at the moment. i don't think it matters too much who is at the head of the labor party as he/she doesn't have the power they would have us think they do, even Donald Duck would be able to head the party as he would need to be told what to say as well and he can't even quack in chinese.

Here is a pic and heading from Daily Telegraph

The first was his odd reaction to a cheeky five-year-old boy who upstaged him when he visited a Korean language class in the
    marginal Liberal electorate of Bennelong in Sydney. Photos of cute Joseph Kim pulling faces and cavorting for the cameras behind
    the PM went around the world.

But Rudd didn't appear to find his antics amusing. Video footage shows the PM turning to give little Joseph a high five, and then
    gripping the boy's fingers and holding on for a moment. When the boy managed to extract his hand, he grimaced, and said "Ouch".
    Whether the squeeze was inadvertent or Rudd really was teaching the exuberant child a lesson only he would know.
    But the verdict on the internet was damning.
    I have 99% made up my mind and labor isn't in the run-up to 100%.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

I see your a Liberal voter good points but personally I like Turnbull better than Abbott. It would
    be hard to pass bills under a hung parliament and with the 'Greens' so think big mate even
    if the Liberals managed to win last time they would be in the same connundrum the Labor party is..

The Liberals have 'wet' and 'dry' types of people and are just as factional as the Labor party is.
    Remember Turnbull lost to Abbott by only one lowsy vote... Turnbull would win easy not
    so with Abbott...

Turnbull knows that if Abbott was forced by the Americans or Europeans to adopt a carbon
    price it would be 'a broken election promise' just like Gillard. Its something he cannot promise
    to the electorate...

As for Tony Windsor in the desperation Abbott to win office included the carbon tax on the table...

Lets be honest here Joe Hockey should not be opposition treasurer as he is 'gaffe prone'.
    He has worried many in the business community that the GST will be reviewed...with
    the declining tax base and less business profits may make the business tax reduction moot...

Money does not come from the govt but via the banks and our debt is a global debt and out of control technically to all but the Reserve and Dept of Finance...it was 'unwise' for Hockey to rubbish their figures.

where did you get your quote from- please post it. Im a swinging voter I have not made up my mind yet.
    Im still waiting to see the Liberals costings....Im a much more clever voter sir. No costings means a promise
    is only that. Labor have broken promises so have the Liberals in State Office in NSW. They always
    say look at how the states run but also that a indicator federally...

As for Rudd he is not better than Abbott and I think many voters are dissapointed with both..
    The economy is in decline and neither have prepared for a rainy day. Its like 2008 in the US
    but in slow motion...

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-ed...807-2rgks.html

Quote-
    Both sides should stop treating people like mugs. A good start would be to admit before the election that a higher, broader goods and services tax must be on the table.
    If Australians want governments to keep funding services without slugging everyone with much higher, inefficient taxes, we must find the best way to secure budget revenue with the least drag on the economy.
    Yet the Coalition and Labor run for cover whenever the GST is mentioned.
    Would-be treasurer Joe Hockey is the latest culprit. When asked on Tuesday whether the GST was on the agenda to be revisited, Hockey said: "It's part of the equation, we have always said that. We're going to have a proper review of the taxation system … I'm not going to pre-empt a review that will occur over the next three years."

12, 15% or 17% GST...????
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 12-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

had several rants from unionist that turnbull has the numbers--the same forgot that he was opposition leader and got trounced.
    lots of people like the way he speaks...prob the same people that write to the papers about street art.

tech teachers told my aprentise that he liberals will close the tafe and pass legislation to allow workers to be payed any amount.so it must be right.
    have to note that their is no signs on powerpoles yet this time.the boys across the road from me cant wait for a government change.

everybody forgets that liberals open all positions to a vote in the new parliament.they open all policy to to be voted by the incoming members.

there wont be a hung parliament.
    Tony Windsor was a very clever man.without him the bush would be in hyde park.

the worse that can happen is a room full of independants in the senate--and a double election in a few months time.then a tax deal that goes on for 3 years.

there is no need to promise tax reform before the election--it would be stupidity without a peoples mandate that liberal/nationals need to govern.
    most people don't understand that people in the street run most of the coalition..thats why it looks shambolic.

the labour base is inner city and its possible that without a mandate that it would change to green--or looney party.
    the labor base in the hunter valley has walked away from the left after an experiment with capalist right in local elections------and surprise--the delivered social services that the left cant.....

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

had several rants from unionist that turnbull has the numbers--the same forgot that he was opposition leader and got trounced.
    lots of people like the way he speaks...prob the same people that write to the papers about street art.

tech teachers told my aprentise that he liberals will close the tafe and pass legislation to allow workers to be payed any amount.so it must be right.
    have to note that their is no signs on powerpoles yet this time.the boys across the road from me cant wait for a government change.

everybody forgets that liberals open all positions to a vote in the new parliament.they open all policy to to be voted by the incoming members.

there wont be a hung parliament.
    Tony Windsor was a very clever man.without him the bush would be in hyde park.

the worse that can happen is a room full of independants in the senate--and a double election in a few months time.then a tax deal that goes on for 3 years.

there is no need to promise tax reform before the election--it would be stupidity without a peoples mandate that liberal/nationals need to govern.
    most people don't understand that people in the street run most of the coalition..thats why it looks shambolic.

the labour base is inner city and its possible that without a mandate that it would change to green--or looney party.
    the labor base in the hunter valley has walked away from the left after an experiment with capalist right in local elections------and surprise--the delivered social services that the left cant.....
    My business is preparing for 'tax reform' by listening to both sides. I still need my costings though. Closing down technical colleges- jobs of the future my ass I think too. I started my computer skills at tech- shameful If a country does not take its education seriously should be prepared for foreigners(who may not have your best interests at heart) to call the shots instead of a local...think about that one. I might move back home yet...many Australians may know of their favorite
    favourite sports stars but few know of any Nobel Laureates...that's the problem...

As for the National Broadband Network I don't think the Liberals don't take cyber security seriously when you think how
    British GCHQ got burnt by Huawei...to the their national broadband network. Shows how saving money can endanger security. I consider it to be a bigger scheme than the Snowy Mountains one. Once its done its done. The US has it UK 'sort of' does
    but we are certainly 'backward' to put it blunty. I suppose Rupert Murdoch cannot keep his hands away from the
    home country now can he. You'd wreckon Abbott would be careful being bum chums with a guy convicted of phone
    hacking...and sent several people to prison doing his bidding. Not the sort of civillian I would trust anywhere
    near a network or 'influential' people either.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...etworks-huawei
    The 'Australian' broadband network under the Liberal Govt. God help us.

Ask Murdoch he makes sure his pretty parrott Tony does what he says or else. Talk about buying a vote..
    expats should not be allowed to influence elections especially those with murky pasts. Downer with AWB
    and Saddam Hussein is not forgotten either. He is a very slippery character.The Australian equivalent
    of Benedict Arnold.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226693411562
    Some people may have been witness to this event Davehoos. Wonder if it would 'leak' out...while
    they whinge about the 'faceless men' they no better themselves...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/bu...anted=all&_r=0
    The Americans are naturally suspicious with Murdoch...
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 12-08-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

I have NBN==I have foxtell.
    they are not competition.
    people are on drugs if they think they can stream TV.im lucky to get utube.

I tried for 6 months to get free TV as the labour government sold the spectrum for Telco to use.
    But like all my neighbours Im up to $1000 so far and its not watchable.

If the NBN worked then I might be able to get my Murdock news.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/murd...th-arthur-7693
    your not Australian until you understand context.

Forum Regular

I am not totally a Liberal Voter just someone who doesn't buy the party line stuff.
    Whatever labor promises that they will fix up is not easy to swallow as, if they HAVE
    plans to CLEAN up and make things right, why have they stuffed these things
    up for the last 6 years?

It will be interesting to see if Mr Abbot back flips on his promises and his party is
    proven to be as useless as what we have right now, I hope not.

The major issues are this Carbon Excise (as Mr Swan put it), the falling Job rate,
    the ILLEGAL boat persons and the fact that our economy has taken a HUGE nose dive.
    Last edited by Pendaws; 13-08-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

im lucky to get utube.
    You do realise that You Tube and most ISP's that link to it have ongoing issues over money and throttling/buffering?

Something along the lines of the video's being posted can attract advertising if they get regular viewers = pay model for You Tube and partners, but the companies that link to it don't get a red cent so they deliberately choke, stutter or stall the content........ rather than have their customers viewing content that somone else is profiting from over 'their' pipes.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    AU1 Fairmont wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaws View Post
    I don't usually air my views on politics but I have been watching this farce ever since labor got back into power 2 elections ago and I can't believe that this group is a "for the working class" people in society and look after the welfare of AUSSIES.
    The labor party these days is the most right wing left wing government we have had since keating dragged Australia into double digit unemployment all those years ago and of course VERY high interest rates.

The one thing I do get a little annoyed at with politics here is that SO many people think we have a system like the Americans where the leader of the country is ELECTED as a LEADER by the people, he/she is NOT. I hear boguns saying I never voted for him/her, which would be right, unless you were in their electorates. Rudd's electorate is Griffith and the ONLY way someone could say that they didn't vote for him is if they LIVED in that electorate.

The labor party, or the caucus (13 faceless persons NOT voted in), has power over policy issues and is so full of factions that it is a wonder the government functions AT ALL?

I am looking at the policies of BOTH parties as I have for some time and, it is hard to believe that the current labor party that sort of governs this country, will be able to change the current poor policies and FIX the issues this country suffers from at the moment. i don't think it matters too much who is at the head of the labor party as he/she doesn't have the power they would have us think they do, even Donald Duck would be able to head the party as he would need to be told what to say as well and he can't even quack in chinese.

Here is a pic and heading from Daily Telegraph

I have 99% made up my mind and labor isn't in the run-up to 100%.
    Good to see that you don't understand how the Labor Party works. The Caucus are not faceless men. the Causucs is the Parliamentary member of the Labor Party ie those members of Parliament that belong to the Labor Party. There is no on in the caucus who is not Federal member of Parliament. Sure it has factions which go along the lines of who supports each member and the leaders of those groups (trade unions) are commonly referred to as the faceless men although everyone who should know who they are does.
    Your point regarding the leader is correct but in reality a lot of people vote on how they see the person who is leading the Party and not their local member. There would be voters who do not know the name of their local party candidate until they get a how to vote card. They see it as a Rudd, Abbott or Milne (lumping the Nationals in with Tony).
    It is the Public Servants who have the power as they influence what goes in to the actual legislation that is put before both houses of Parliament.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

yes.
    there are other that are much the same.
    also the provider ramp the system so that you don't get biil shock.

At the current cost this is a luxury-that earns my wife luxuries---like 4 tickets to one direction

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

I have NBN==I have foxtell.
    they are not competition.
    people are on drugs if they think they can stream TV.im lucky to get utube.

I tried for 6 months to get free TV as the labour government sold the spectrum for Telco to use.
    But like all my neighbours Im up to $1000 so far and its not watchable.

If the NBN worked then I might be able to get my Murdock news.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/murd...th-arthur-7693
    your not Australian until you understand context.
    Wireless or Satellite can be faster. Murdoch news or Fairfax news,or Gina Rinehart news every
    country has their media barons don't they?

Youtube has to have been 20-300kb sustained for decent video quality.
    If its running slow check your browser for malware. PM me if you
    have to. Or your ISP is really letting you down...

I thought NBN being fibre optic was silly fast. It was not designed for
    todays old tech but stuff for another 40 odd years of bandwidth hungry
    next gen optic (not utp wiring) applications, software, cloud and other stuff
    not yet even invented. It would make quantum computing that much faster as well...
    It is a very valuable national asset which will pay for itself in time..however...
    Being Australian made makes me happy but I agree there must
    agree with the Liberals be cost cutting down but within reason and 'requirements'.
    Major cities still don't have reliability let alone country towns
    and 'remote areas' well I could tell you some stories...the NBN
    is slow and behind schedule in some parts...Gillard made a mess
    off the NBN which I hope Rudd would fix.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 15-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information