+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford AU won't idle on Gas when it reaches a certain temp

Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia

Default Ford AU won't idle on Gas when it reaches a certain temp

Hello hopefully you guys can help,
    We've been having troubles with this for ages.
    We put a new/used engine with lower Km into my dads car which has a factory fitted Ford gas system...
    Everything has been fitted correctly and runs perfect on Petrol and appears to run perfect on Gas until the cars temperature reaches the letter N on the "Normal" gauge it still runs fine while you are driving until you pull up at the lights or stop and the car tries to idle in which it will stall and will not idle on gas until it has cooled down again.

Would anyone have any ideas on this one we've replaced solenoids, limited the water flow into the gas converter, changed the idle with the screw but nothing seems to work so here I am asking for help

Thanks in advance
    John

Experienced Member
    Ride
    EL Classic Gli

Default Re: Ford AU won't idle on Gas when it reaches a certain temp

try cleaning the idle air control valve

Ride
    ford au I falcon

how long since you replaced the plugs and leads?

Ride
    NL Fairlane Concorde

BUMP! I have the same issue with factory dedicated gas AU ute. Drives perfectly fine. No missing, no issues at all, power is fine, drives smooth, but when warm will not idle. If I feather the pedal and keep the RPM near 800 or so, it idles fine but if I take my foot off it stalls. Cold, it idles on its own. There is no back firing, no hesitation, no coughing etc, it just stalls, or idles with a little help from my foot. Its clearly an idle issue.

Im hoping someone can tell me how to test the solenoids on the converter, and which is the idle. Trying to answer it myself hunting about parts etc on the web, Ive found the EL has an idle coil, while the AU appears to have a stepper but that coil or one similar is also listed for dedicated gas Falcons but as a primer solenoid. PNos are different.

EL has these http://bluelpg.com.au/shop/vialle-lp...ialle%20falcon
    Dedicated gas have http://bluelpg.com.au/shop/vialle-lp...ialle%20falcon

Note they look much the same, in regards the EL it says idle in its title but the similar lookikng part for dedicated gas does not say idle. But it does look the same design (settings are different I assume). AU has an idle stepper option too, so is the coil linked above for dedicated gas responsible for idle too? IIRC EL was not dedicated gas, so its for AU on etc.

Can anyone give me the numbers and test procedure for the various idle related parts?
    Last edited by G.A.R.Y; 16-03-2017 at 01:05 AM.

I'd be more incline in checking your inlet manifold gaskets for vacuum leaks.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    eb ford

Any codes? Get an elm327 and forscan

Ride
    NL Fairlane Concorde

Thanks, Ill probably change the inlet gasket as a matter of precaution since they are prone to leak but thought it showed up as problems no matter where the throttle position. Im only having issues at idle, a little foot and no problems. I would expect to have issues accelerating with an inlet leak.
    No codes as I dont have a scanner and wasnt sure if I could pull them like older Falcons with a test light and counting flashes. Those ELM scanners I seem to recall some were better than others, any recommendations? Id still like to know the gas stuff though, sooner or later Ill have to deal with it all.
    Last edited by G.A.R.Y; 17-03-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Ride
    NL Fairlane Concorde

Follow up, its not the inlet gasket. But the solenoid on the idle jet in the converter reads 13.8ohms, and its supposed to be (12.6 Ohms +/- 4%) so between 12.1 and 13.1 ohms. Im guessing its highly likely the problem given its more than two times the tolerance, out. From what I can tell the solenoids are either on or off, no in between so Im thinking it could be shut, and the pedal is making enough RPM to simulate idle. Ill find out soon enough, Ill order a new one and replace it.

Anyone got any opinions on the ELM scanners? I seem to recall some work well, others not so well. Id prefer to buy the right one. But its been some time.
    Last edited by G.A.R.Y; 19-03-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

I had zero luck with the eBay ones on my au, I get some function out it on my ba. I would say be very careful although for the price it's not that big a deal.
    I had the rubber elbow that feeds vacuum off the engine to the vent control fail on my au , I ended up just blocking it off as the controls had started leaking air in pretty badly as well. It really messed up the idle quite badly until I found it.

Ride
    NL Fairlane Concorde

Are/were you using forscan with it?

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

It came with about 6 different bits of software but I would have to dig the ThinkPad out of the current ute to check

Ride
    NL Fairlane Concorde

Well, a new idle solenoid for the gas converter didnt make any difference.

Ride
    NL Fairlane Concorde

Does anyone know the size of the base idle screw on AU throttle body, thread pitch and diameter? Need to buy something to replace the slotted thread rod in it now. I was able to get it to idle by adjusting the above threaded rod, but it hangs a little still so its obviously not the root cause but its helping. But the slot is stuffed so need to replace it...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information