+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: reversing camera for ranger

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PX Ranger

Default reversing camera for ranger

Hi all I just picked up my new XLT Ranger after a 6 month wait they are a nice rig I love driving it until I need to reverse it
    so I am thinking of installing a reversing camera problem is where do I put the screen my installer said I should have it in the
    console just below the USB input where have others put theirs and are u happy with the ease of use pics would be good if
    Possible
    Thanks in advance
    David

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

Default Re: reversing camera for ranger

Quote Originally Posted by oreely View Post
    Hi all I just picked up my new XLT Ranger after a 6 month wait they are a nice rig I love driving it until I need to reverse it
    so I am thinking of installing a reversing camera problem is where do I put the screen my installer said I should have it in the
    console just below the USB input where have others put theirs and are u happy with the ease of use pics would be good if
    Possible
    Thanks in advance
    David
    Wecome to the Forums David!

A suggestion would be to hunt around for a rear vision mirror based screen. The Wildtrak comes with screen there and there are a few systems available that also use the rear vision mirror. The genuine one of course will allow you to keep the auto diming feature that the XLT has too. I read somewhere of someone who bought a complete system from an F-series in the USA and then modified it to fit his XLT. The bonus is the camera is identical to the Wildtrak and is mounted in the "Ford" Badge on the tail gate, and the screen is also the same or at least looks the same. Porbably not the cheapest option but it will look factory!
    2012 PX Wildtrak, Ford Territory TS AWD, 1974 HQ Ute and 1964 Fairlane 500

Ride
    XLT Ranger crew cab

I added an after market rear view mirror camera to my Ranger and it works a treat. It basically sits over the existing rear view mirror and when you put it into reverse, it activates. Glad to have it working with the reverse sensors too, it comes in handy driving this monster!

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

I have a similar thing and find that the second AV channel is good for the front parking camera !
    Down side is that the extra weight makes the whole lot fall down , so that I am re adjusting the mirror every 3 days or so .
    Oh , and depth perception is not impressive but better that than no front camera at all .
    Try as I might , I just cannot pin down the exact location of the front corners of the Ranger when parking it .
    Last edited by Ranger user; 14-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    The process is always simple ,
    the Devil is in the Dynamics
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Ride
    Ranger PX XLT 2.2A/T

I bought an add-on rear camera unit on eBay that has a 4" LCD embedded in the rear-view mirror that clips over the existing mirror. The camera is mounted on the top edge of the rear rego plate frame and picks up the 12V from the reversing lamp power. The transmitter is mounted in the near-side rear lamp cluster housing. The receiver/mirror/LCD gets power from a 12V point in the interior light assembly. The camera is a little lower than desired and doesn't have the calibrated graticules of the OEM unit but does the job. Also, the rear-view mirror gives a wider aspect than the OEM one so I find that gives a more panoramic view out the back.

Unfortunately, someone backed into my rear bumper yesterday when I was parked up so I have a decent sized ding in the chromework as well as the bumper now being pushed back flush with the bodywork on that corner. I hope they have more bloody damage than I have!
    Last edited by UTH; 21-11-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling!

Ride
    Ranger XL3.2 crewcab

[QUOTE=Aquahead2001;416529]Wecome to the Forums David!

The Wildtrak comes with screen there and there are a few systems available that also use the rear vision mirror. The genuine one of course will allow you to keep the auto diming feature that the XLT has too. I read somewhere of someone who bought a complete system from an F-series in the USA and then modified it to fit his XLT. The bonus is the camera is identical to the Wildtrak./QUOTE]

Hi Aquahead,
    I have the XL and also looking at a reversing camera. My question is, do you know if the Wildtrak camera is wired in or is it wireless? If it is wired in do you know if the XL has the required loom already installed or will I have to install the whole wiring loom as well? I like the idea of having the camera incorporated in the rear view mirror instead of one that clips on the front of it or a separate unit altogether.
    Cheers
    Jason

Wildtrak cam is wired in and your XL will not have the wiring loom, going down the wildtrak path for the camera and screen is a very expensive exercise.
    Cars,
    2005 Chev Colorado, 3.0/auto crew cab (Long gone, I want it back).
    2012 Ford Ranger, 2.2/6 speed manual crew cab.... piece of crap, can't wait till I am rid of it.

Bikes,
    2004 Yamaha SR400.
    2012 Honda Click 125.

Ride
    Ranger XL3.2 crewcab

Quote Originally Posted by tfcortinanut View Post
    Wildtrak cam is wired in and your XL will not have the wiring loom, going down the wildtrak path for the camera and screen is a very expensive exercise.
    Thanks mate. Do you know of a good after market one that would suit and is not to difficult to install and won't fry the car's electrical system?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbuttigieg View Post
    Thanks mate. Do you know of a good after market one that would suit and is not to difficult to install and won't fry the car's electrical system?
    As like others already posted I have one of the wireless cheapies from ebay. bang for buck I reckon they are ok but if I had to do it again I would get a wired one. not hard to run some wires up the A-Post to the monitor (if using the clip on mirror) and the camera is powered by the reverse light (wireless mirror is powered by a spare plug up behind the roof console, infact I will probaly buy a lead and hard wire mine as sometimes the interference is a tad annoying but for $40.00 I cannot complain of its performance.
    Cars,
    2012 Ford Ranger, 2.2/6 speed manual crew cab.... piece of crap, can't wait till I am rid of it.

Bikes,
    2004 Yamaha SR400.
    2012 Honda Click 125.

Ride
    Ranger XL3.2 crewcab

Quote Originally Posted by tfcortinanut View Post
    As like others already posted I have one of the wireless cheapies from ebay. bang for buck I reckon they are ok but if I had to do it again I would get a wired one. not hard to run some wires up the A-Post to the monitor (if using the clip on mirror) and the camera is powered by the reverse light (wireless mirror is powered by a spare plug up behind the roof console, infact I will probaly buy a lead and hard wire mine as sometimes the interference is a tad annoying but for $40.00 I cannot complain of its performance.
    Thanks mate have a good chrissy

Ride
    PX Ranger XLT

I know it's a cousin and not a twin, but are any Mazda BT-50 reverse camera options compatible with the PX Ranger?

Ride
    Ranger XL3.2 crewcab

Quote Originally Posted by WeeGraeme View Post
    I know it's a cousin and not a twin, but are any Mazda BT-50 reverse camera options compatible with the PX Ranger?
    Hey Mate, I read some where else that the BT-50 cameras work in the Ranger and there are two types. Apparently the one that goes into the GT fits straight into the XLT and maybe the other camera system fits the XL I was going to go into Mazda and have a look just for ****s and giggles because you don't get much change out of $1000.

Ride
    PX Ranger XLT

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbuttigieg View Post
    Hey Mate, I read some where else that the BT-50 cameras work in the Ranger and there are two types. Apparently the one that goes into the GT fits straight into the XLT and maybe the other camera system fits the XL I was going to go into Mazda and have a look just for ****s and giggles because you don't get much change out of $1000.
    Yeah, I read that too. I'm just waiting to see how he goes fitting the Wildtrak bevel.

Ride
    Hilux 2005

Is it also possible to replace the whole HU for an aftermarket 2-din unit? Like the Pioneer models?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyferion View Post
    Is it also possible to replace the whole HU for an aftermarket 2-din unit? Like the Pioneer models?
    it is, sorta.

The door lock and hazard light buttons are integrated into the OEM HU so these will need to be chopped and re-wired accordingly.

There is a Thai comapny doing conversions but are keeping the OEM HU. looks ugly to me.

TX_13082012055331_6f58b29aaff2acbb94c86825b1134921.jpg

http://www.driversoundinter.com/car/...ev_model_id=65
    Cars,

Bikes,
    2004 Yamaha SR400.
    2012 Honda Click 125.

Ride
    Hilux 2005

Wooh! Impressive! I kinda like it because im a techy guy . Thanks for the link man!

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

Jerome ,
    The pillar speakers and the new door speakers they show ;
    Have you looked into that at all ?
    What can you tell us about it ?
    Cheers
    Mark
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Sorry mate not at all, I do my own fibreglassing/stereo installations so for stuff like that I do myself.
    Cars,

Bikes,
    2004 Yamaha SR400.
    2012 Honda Click 125.

Ride
    Ford Ranger PJ

I started looking for a reversing camera kit to install on my PJ, and eventually decided to purchase one of the latest Navman GPS units with an AV input socket, and a CCD camera from ebay. The GPS was $157 in an Xmas sale from JB HiFi (with lifetime map updates), and the camera is a CCD and was $18 on ebay. I installed it this afternoon, and it works fantastically! I decided to wire the camera independently from the reversing lights, and instead I have a switch on the dash so that I can turn it on anytime, and leave it on if I want to do so. A cheap, versatile solution!
    Last edited by Pete B; 11-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Ride
    Ranger XL3.2 crewcab

Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    I started looking for a reversing camera kit to install on my PJ, and eventually decided to purchase one of the latest Navman GPS units with an AV input socket, and a CCD camera from ebay. The GPS was $157 in an Xmas sale from JB HiFi (with lifetime map updates), and the camera is a CCD and was $18 on ebay. I installed it this afternoon, and it works fantastically! I decided to wire the camera independently from the reversing lights, and instead I have a switch on the dash so that I can turn it on anytime, and leave it on if I want to do so. A cheap, versatile solution!
    Thats what I am doing only with a garmin unit. Did you just use a standard toggle switch or something that matches the rest of the switches. where abouts did you put the switch?

Ride
    Ford Ranger PJ

The switch doesn't exactly match any others, but it is a small rocker switch with an LED in the switch to show when the power is on to the camera, and I mounted it in an inconspicuous place just to the right of the fuse harness cover. It looks quite at home, not at all out of place. The reason I didn't connect the camera to the reversing lights is that I wanted the choice to leave it on when driving forwards sometimes. My PJ has a Flexiglass canopy on its flat-tray, and visibility to the rear is very limited - the camera helps a great deal.
    Cheers
    Pete

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

I have a second camera and it is on the front , it is on a separate switch and feeds into the second AV Input on the mirror ,
    sometimes I forget to switch it off , gives me a bit of a start to look at the mirror expecting to see whats behind
    only to see something rushing in from the front ! LOL
    Last edited by Ranger user; 13-01-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PX Ranger

Thanks guys for all responses I like the idea of GPS included in same screen but for now I have got reversing camera only.
    Is it OK to tap directly into the wire for reverse lights or would I expect problems

Regards

David
    Last edited by oreely; 14-01-2013 at 06:29 AM.

Ride
    PJ Ranger XLT 2007

This response is obviously too late however I fitted a reverse camera into a PJ Ranger early this year.

I bought a quality unit for around $300 and it takes 4 cameras if required. As I tow a 20ft C'van I mounted one on camera the van and one camera just beside the spare wheel lever opening on the rear lower panel. The screen is mounted on a swing away(if req) braket mounted on the roof near the rear vision mirror. Very easy to route the cables and hide their presence. I did add a small metal plate behind the roof lining to give it additional strength again very easy to do.
    My wife drives the Ranger most days and I only get to drive it when we travel away. The reverse camera makes it so much easier in both safety and ease of reverseing.

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by ozziekeith View Post
    This response is obviously too late however I fitted a reverse camera into a PJ Ranger early this year.

I bought a quality unit for around $300 and it takes 4 cameras if required. As I tow a 20ft C'van I mounted one on camera the van and one camera just beside the spare wheel lever opening on the rear lower panel. The screen is mounted on a swing away(if req) braket mounted on the roof near the rear vision mirror. Very easy to route the cables and hide their presence. I did add a small metal plate behind the roof lining to give it additional strength again very easy to do.
    My wife drives the Ranger most days and I only get to drive it when we travel away. The reverse camera makes it so much easier in both safety and ease of reverseing.
    A photo would be appreciated for those wishing to do the same.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information