+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smashing the 4Ghz mark.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Smashing the 4Ghz mark.

Hello there.

Had a 4Ghz Pentium 4 a while back now- air cooled back on the Quad Core unit now Just wondering if anybody on the forums is into watercooling or using Propylene Glycol or Vegatable oil to cool their cpu/graphics? Any brands used or have you done custom plumbing for cpu's and graphics card?

Also have they varied voltages as well to cope and the ram has the guts to work ttoo..

Don't want to run at more that 50 degrees celcius on a 35 degree day. Many computations to do and 3Ghz just ain't fast enough anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SArxcnpXStE
    AMD Epic fail- profanity warning- Siemens and AMD the dynamic duo- rofl.

Last edited by ELSpeedo; 02-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

Default Re: Smashing the 4Ghz mark.

I would have thought that you caught up to the idea the more cores = more computations by now. I can't help on water cooling as I actually lean towards passive (masive) cooler for noise reasons. On that note I am loving how quiet my new SSD is in the laptop too.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    I would have thought that you caught up to the idea the more cores = more computations by now. I can't help on water cooling as I actually lean towards passive (masive) cooler for noise reasons. On that note I am loving how quiet my new SSD is in the laptop too.
    No there is a downside to the mathermatical analogy you made- some dual core systems process faster than some quad core systems. cpu cache levels is important too. The cores can also be designed in ways that don't enhance throughput or logical allocation of cores for a specific task. You have to remember than 96% or more software out there is still single core...AMD...
    You have to remember if your going to slam down so many damn cores the internal databus throughput better be good. Ghz is the only trusted way to improve throughput though portable devices don't apply here. Most laptops are dangerous with standard cooling fans to overclock. SSD are good for speed but data recovery they are worse than traditional hard drives.

I've touched 4Ghz with air cooling but I also want reliability so water cooling is the best.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 06-10-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Im still reasearching the plusses and minuses of SSD technology which is still
    new as such.

Im now mucking around with CPU voltages and hoping I don't
    set my motherboard on fire. Should get the right throughput-latency
    and bandwidth along the way

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

SSD's have improved a lot over recent years, I have used a couple on production machines now. One had a MTBF of over 4 million 'events' Having said that my current laptop is awaiting a new screen, and isn't likely to get it in a hurry on current finances. I suppose the phone will have to do for now. I have been doing some research on Peltier based cooling recently, and it is starting to mature a lot more on what was around a few years ago. Maybe look up what others post on YouTube as that is being increasingly used to show what can be done?
    Last edited by Redwight; 06-06-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

SSD's have improved a lot over recent years, I have used a couple on production machines now. One had a MTBF of over 4 million 'events' Having said that my current laptop is awaiting a new screen, and isn't likely to get it in a hurry on current finances. I suppose the phone will have to do for now. I have been doing some research on Peltier based cooling recently, and it is starting to mature a lot more on what was around a few years ago. Maybe look up what others post on YouTube as that is being increasingly used to show what can be done?
    Yes Im kind of afraid of water cooling due to what cars do best spill liquid
    everywhere. On a well spec rig that can be a expensive exercise.
    Yes the Koreans do well at Peltier its a shame they don't make
    their cars as good as their cpu fans.

Current Im swaring of Asrock as their supposedly solid caps are not
    so solid...and the bitcoin mining scams...solid caps don't have vents...

http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog...AP_090716e.pdf

quote-
    Another disadvantage of SSD drives is that each flash memory cell on an SSD can endure only so many write cycles. This means that if you subject your SSD to heavy use, its data retention will be shorter than with conventional hard drive. That’s why you should think twice when writing to an SSD. And that’s one of the reasons why it’s not a good idea to defrag solid-state drives, as defragmentation means unnecessary data writes to the disk.

This is why im wary of SSD- fine for a dump or gaming drive though not safe enough for anything serious
    and fault redundancy on RAID has it problems. Lets not forget that many motherboard chipsets
    still cannot handle decent bandwidth/reliability too. Im sticking to SAS RAID setups still.

I've busted 3 SSD units myself and stay away from the cheapies and check out the specs
    and math for the memory used is up to scratch...we all know why Maxtor went broke...
    i know there great for laptops as they use less power but have you thought for 'EMP'
    reasons that actually they are a step backward? Even if you hdd circut board controller
    was fried you could still find your physical data not so on a SSD...very low chance
    for memory retention- especially in surge conditions....then now their are hybrid SSD/HDD
    appearing that have the best of both worlds.

Im used to the noise of computers like aeroplanes so noise ain't a big deal unless a device
    is making bad noises or has suddenly disconnected to some disk write error you know...

Linux man makes a appearance in a Microsoft ad. Now its humour for IT people anyway if they understand the meaning.

http://techrights.org/2013/10/07/win...ges-gnu-linux/
    Fermi is 30% slower in raytracing in windows than linux.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 06-06-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

To be fair I have used the SSD's as the OS drive and 'ghosted' them, then used a normal drive for data where read/write times didn't matter so much. It works for me, but I have proven that both diskcheck and defrag can both ruin the drive instantly. They have consistantly turned into 512kB paperweights that cannot have the boot sector restored either.
    If I were going down the water cooler path I would probably use oil, maybe kerosene in them. It is fairly inert and reasonably hard to make fire with so that would be my initial thought.

Fan noise, having worked in a room with over 98 120mm fans in it the noise can go beyond grating. I swear it added stress to the staff in a way that is hard to describe. I hated it intensely and so did some of the others, not that the boss cared. If it couldn't be defined in monosyllabaltic terms it was wasted on him, so nothoing ever changed.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

To be fair I have used the SSD's as the OS drive and 'ghosted' them, then used a normal drive for data where read/write times didn't matter so much. It works for me, but I have proven that both diskcheck and defrag can both ruin the drive instantly. They have consistantly turned into 512kB paperweights that cannot have the boot sector restored either.
    If I were going down the water cooler path I would probably use oil, maybe kerosene in them. It is fairly inert and reasonably hard to make fire with so that would be my initial thought.

Fan noise, having worked in a room with over 98 120mm fans in it the noise can go beyond grating. I swear it added stress to the staff in a way that is hard to describe. I hated it intensely and so did some of the others, not that the boss cared. If it couldn't be defined in monosyllabaltic terms it was wasted on him, so nothoing ever changed.
    Rendering compressed 3D images for a 'real walkthough' in AutoCad would
    certainly push my hard drive to the outer limits especially if the model
    was a full size one. Amd still sucks here. Mostly airframes Im looking
    at and the skin above them. You need the need for speed and bandwidwith.
    SSD fail always here- they need to improve reliability and writes/sec.
    4X Quad core CPU's and Werewolf still chews mostly power....
    If they just get rid of Windows like steam is Autocad should dump them.
    The old Nt/OS/2 core should be left to die and Windows forced to go Macs fate.
    Their memory and cpu models are so 1990's. Computer technology
    has come a long way since the first Athlons and Pentiums.

Most people do it cheaply with two Tesla GPU rigged to their primary
    as long as you get over 10G/S your fine- if your cloning screens
    or rendering individually as well...

I hope Intel go back to dual cpu motherboards mainstream again- I
    miss Skulltrail and the legendary socket 370 dual. Were pushing
    single chip to the limits anyway. AMD are to povo to do that.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 06-06-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

Quote Originally Posted by ELSpeedo View Post
    Rendering compressed 3D images for a 'real walkthough' in AutoCad would
    certainly push my hard drive to the outer limits especially if the model
    was a full size one. Amd still sucks here. Mostly airframes Im looking
    at and the skin above them. You need the need for speed and bandwidwith.
    SSD fail always here- they need to improve reliability and writes/sec.
    4X Quad core CPU's and Werewolf still chews mostly power....
    That is a bit outside of my normal expertise, but the right GPU would go a long way with those tasks. I know a few people that use Autocad but not for motion work... the last one of those I built had a FireGL GPU in it and they are obsolete now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information