+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BA Highrise Brakelight+Spoiler

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Question BA Highrise Brakelight+Spoiler

HI All
    My BA Falcon is giving me an odd problem the Highrise brakelight (one in rear window) and the Spoiler lights are not working but i still have left and right brake lights and normally i would go oh globes blown but the Highrise dosnt have a globe (because of spoiler) and the spoiler is LED but what throws odd to me is the Highrise has no voltage at the socket and the spoiler has 10V at its hook up point anyone heard of this issue in BA's? im thinking its the connector in the boot for the spoiler but that dosn't explain the Highrise having no voltage anyone heard of this interesting issue?
    Thanks

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PX Ranger Dual Cab

Default Re: BA Highrise Brakelight+Spoiler

Hi mount stop light unplugged to plug in the spoiler light?

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Hey just a theory do you have cruise control? If you do, does it still work with the LED spoiler brake light in place?

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Quote Originally Posted by baboon View Post
    Hey just a theory do you have cruise control? If you do, does it still work with the LED spoiler brake light in place?
    Well originally yes but now my Cruise control and spoiler don't work its starting to annoy me any ideas when i first got it both worked but now neither do are they connected somehow?

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

From what I've read they are actually.... weird I know...

From what I gather, if you return the LED brake light to the normal bulbs, then cruise and brake lights will all work again.

To get the LED light to work, you have to find a parallel resistor to the LEDs, which in turn reduces the resistance of the LED lights. These cars are a little too clever and require the new LEDs to have equivalent resistance as the bulbs.

I havent had experience with led brake lights, but apparently you can buy load resistors to connect up to LEDs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by baboon; 12-09-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

From what I've read they are actually.... weird I know...

From what I gather, if you return the LED brake light to the normal bulbs, then cruise and brake lights will all work again.

To get the LED light to work, you have to find a parallel resistor to the LEDs, which in turn reduces the resistance of the LED lights. These cars are a little too clever and require the new LEDs to have equivalent resistance as the bulbs.

I havent had experience with led brake lights, but apparently you can buy load resistors to connect up to LEDs.

Good luck.
    Well mine is a complete factory spoiler (light and all) and if the cruise control and the spoiler are linked could it mean i need to check the cruise control circuit? Or i could have missed something when putting the dash back in

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Hmm just making sure, you have a BA XT? I thought they didnt come with spoilers? To be honest I dont know how you'd connect the spoiler up electrically.

I'd be rechecking the connections to the spoiler light.

Also the brake pedal has two switches. One is for brake lights, the second is the cruise brake switch. Checked wires going to them?

Brake switch is normally open - not pressing pedal, brake lights off, when pedals pressed switch is closed brake lights on.

Cruise switch is normally closed - not pressing pedal, 12V is passed onto the computer. When pressing pedal 12V is cut from the cruise circuit and computer sees no voltage.

All from BA manual.

Good luck.

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Silly question, but are you measuring 10V at the LED hook up point when the brake pedal is pressed or not pressed?

If 10V when pedal not pressed then it points to faulty brake switch or incorrectly adjusted brake switch, or faulty wiring.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Hmm just making sure, you have a BA XT? I thought they didnt come with spoilers? To be honest I dont know how you'd connect the spoiler up electrically.

I'd be rechecking the connections to the spoiler light.

Also the brake pedal has two switches. One is for brake lights, the second is the cruise brake switch. Checked wires going to them?

Brake switch is normally open - not pressing pedal, brake lights off, when pedals pressed switch is closed brake lights on.

Cruise switch is normally closed - not pressing pedal, 12V is passed onto the computer. When pressing pedal 12V is cut from the cruise circuit and computer sees no voltage.

All from BA manual.

Good luck.
    Yeah this is where im at a loss on the spoiler because its been hooked up to the brake lights, its been run down from the boot and then links into the connector in the boot (drivers side tail lamp) and its been twisted and crimped with the wires so ford has installed it maybe the previous owner requested it from factory as an Extra? so i will have to go back through the wiring one weekend and find out where the problem is, All worked a week ago so just have to find the faulty part or connector that's come lose

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Ah so it did work a week ago?

Did you replace the brake lamps last week as well? These things are dual filament, which means they share the brake and tail light filament in 1 bulb. These can sometimes be faulty. Also the two filaments have two power ratings on them. One is 21Watts and the other is 5Watts. The brake light is supposed to be the brightest therefore the 21W filament, and the tail lights are 5W. You can put the bulb in the wrong way around into the socket which could be (but not guaranteed) a problem.

Im guessing now, that the spoiler gets its power from the HI mount connector and the original hi mount has been disconnected hence 0Volts there.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Ah so it did work a week ago?

Did you replace the brake lamps last week as well? These things are dual filament, which means they share the brake and tail light filament in 1 bulb. These can sometimes be faulty. Also the two filaments have two power ratings on them. One is 21Watts and the other is 5Watts. The brake light is supposed to be the brightest therefore the 21W filament, and the tail lights are 5W. You can put the bulb in the wrong way around into the socket which could be (but not guaranteed) a problem.

Im guessing now, that the spoiler gets its power from the HI mount connector and the original hi mount has been disconnected hence 0Volts there.

Good luck.
    The Cruise control did work last week don't know about the spoiler
    The Brake lights (in the tail light) work 100% just the spoiler is faulty and the cruise control have to fix it one day atm I'm too busy at Tafe learning to fix others cars (namely Holden )

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PX Ranger Dual Cab

If the brake lights are working, just the spoiler lights not, try unplugging the spoiler connector and see if cruise works, may be a fault in that circuit, these cars are around ten years old now.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Thanks for all the Help guys Checked the spoiler connection and it wasn't hooked up so fixed that then none of my brake lights worked so i checked the fuse, because of its design the fuse had blown but it still had enough contact to make the rear brake lights work before but with the spoiler hooked up it pushed apart so replaced it and now i have it all Brake lights and Cruise control nice to have them back

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information