+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cortina MKII GT?

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Question Cortina MKII GT?

G'day blokes,

I am a newbie here, so please bear with me whilst I get my thoughts in order.

I have had a desire for some time now, to try and relive a slice of my past, and purchase another Cortina MkII GT, for the purpose of restoration.

I owned my original 1970 model back in 1972/4 and I really didn't want to let her go, but as I needed my truck for my job, I just couldn't afford to register and run two vehicles at that time. If I had have known then what I now know, I would have taken her off the road, and found a nice safe shed to lock her into, until I was ready to run her again. The trouble with hindsight however, is that it only comes later, and one cannot predict the future.

I have a couple of old pix somewhere, and I will post them as soon as I locate them....

So, a couple of simple questions to all you Corgi-owners out there:

How much would I be looking at to purchase another GT?

What is the supply of parts like for these things out there these days?

Thanks to all.

Ride
    TC XL 6+ TD GS 6

Default Re: Cortina MKII GT?

Hello,

Welcome to the cortina central forums it's always good to see new members on here. Sounds like you owned a nice mk2 gt cortina back in the early 70's and like most of us know or have learned the hard way 'if only we had kepted our cars' if only but that's life, still it would be nice to see some pictures of your old mk2 if that's possible.

On your .i.d it shows your location as Melbourne, you do have a few options for parts and advice depending where your located, I'm in the east so the best place for me is Mike at Yesterford they carry most parts but cant always supply panels, sometimes eBay and eBay uk is a good help but can be pricey with postage. Another option might be to contact the Mk1 Cortina club of Vic, they also have Mk2 owners so I believe I'm not a member but have met some of them on this forum.

Can't really give you any advice with a purchase price but I have seen some Mk 2 gt's on Carsales.com.au for 10g plus it all depends on what your after I.e. a resto or fully completed car but best to look around, take your time and something will come up sooner or later.

That's about all I can say ATM but I'm sure others here will give some good advice and help you out with sourcing a car.

Good to have you here.

Regards,

Matt

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Hi there Matt,

Thanks for the reply, mate.

I know what you are thinking..."How Long is a Piece of String?"....HA HA

Here is a couple of pix that I found of my dearly departed....

There are more somewhere probably, but mostly in monochrome. Kodakcolor was sooooo expensive when I was 22....

Corgi GT 1973.jpg

BFS884a.jpg

She was a 1970 GT, and unlike most of the contemporary ones, she did not have the GT stripes down the side. She was dark metallic blue, with the blacked-out bonnet and rear panel, and had the Aussie "Super Roo" decals on the front mudguards. Also sported a pair of yellow-painted air scoops under the front stone tray, which you will not be able to see in either pic. My guess is that they were added in an effort to assist in cooling the (un-boosted) front disc brakes, but the bloke who fitted them was about 3" short of running the convoluted tubing as far as the front calipers....

Her black interior was groovy looking, but stifling in the Aussie summer. I did most of my driving with the windows down, even at night.

I added a (then) "state-of-the-art" Ferris 8-track cartridge player, which took care of my sounds, which in those days, consisted mostly of Deep Purple and Moody Blues, as I recall.

Most of my friends had Minis back then, and I was very keen to show them how well my Corgi could perform. And that was very well indeed......

I recall that when petrol was increased to $1-40 a gallon (!!) I had to limit my driving, as I just simply couldn't afford to be frivilous, especially on a soldier's salary.

I owned a Super 8mm movie camera at the time, but - much to my regret - I never filmed anything of my gorgeous Corgi....

Now, back to the present.

As I am now looking down the barrel of sixty two years......why would I want to saddle myself with yet another restoration job, when I already have a good collection of "tin".....and motorcycles.

I have my 1970 MKII Morris Cooper S, my beautiful truck, and my 1974 Honda CB750, which is my daily ride....but currently needs a battery.

So why?

I dunno.

It's just a GUT thing......you know what I mean......

Ride
    TC XL 6+ TD GS 6

Hello again Anubis51,

Thanks for those pictures, I like the clothes you had on but seriously that's [I should say was] one very nice Mk2 GT! Interesting that it didn't have the GT stripes on the sides and sounded like it had a few other interesting options but cars back then could be ordered within reason to suit the buyers personal taste, I take it you were the second owner since you said you got it in 72? Don't suppose you ever saw it again after it was sold?

I think a good film to use back then was Kodachrome 120mm [medium format slide film] to this day the slides we have from that period in time still look like they were taken yesterday but how things have changed. An 8 track player would have been quite fancy back then and the music you mentioned was probably the most popular at that stage though there was [at that time] a local answer to those big name bands, for instance if you remember The Kelly, Pirana and Company Caine.

Back to now, I must say you have an impressive collection there, Morris Cooper S 1970 has to be a little gem these days and a wonderful investment that can be enjoyed. I once had a 1972 Honda CB 350 and it went quite well but the 750 would have been the way to go.

Well you have worked hard for most [maybe i should say] all of your life so why not have another MK2 and this time you can enjoy the car rather than having to worry about issues that unfortunately meant you had to sell your GT back in 74. Wouldn't want you to learn the hard way again so it might be a good thing to somehow find a car with as little rust as possible, that's the main enemy of these cars and one reason why not many if any are left. Once again it might be best to contact the Mk1 Cortina club of Vic as they will be able to assist you with finding a car and of course help with the restoration/parts process.

Dare I say it but maybe you might find it easier to find a standard car 440 for example and convert it into a GT, would be a more cost effective solution. Also the Aussie L [luxury model] Mk2 wasn't bad either and maybe that might appeal?

Just some food for thought.

Take care and thanks again for your reply!

Matt.

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Hi again Matt,

I bought her second hand in 1972, from a 'performance' car yard on Parramatta Road, out towards Silverwater, if I recall correctly. She was $1599, and was parked alongside a similar vintage red Lotus Cortina that was being sold for $1999. I didn't have the extra $400, so I opted for the GT..... You reckon that I wasn't kicking myself in the bum a few years later..... Imagine what a Lotus would fetch today!!!

I sold her to another army bloke that I knew, and never saw him or her, again.

I will follow your advice and contact the Cortina Club, but in the meantime, I have located a few more old pix:

MKII GT SEP73 2.jpg

Here is another front one. In this one you can see the air scoops that would have been of dubious value, except as an embellishment.

MKII GT NOV74 1.jpg

Here is an interior shot, with the "Ford" factory (AM) radio and the original console.

MKII GT 1974 2.jpg

Here is the interior, after I built my own replacement console, and fitted the 8-track cartridge tape player. Apporpriately enough for the era, the tape being played is "Teaser and the Firecat" by Cat Stevens. Also note the pile of tapes awaiting playing, in the front oddments tray.

This shot also shows the additional gauges that I fitted, just to dress up the new console a bit. The one on the left is a vacuum gauge (also called an 'engine performance gauge') and the one on the right is a voltmeter.

I have no idea when the combination lock on the handbrake lever was fitted, but it only caught me twice - when I couldn't release the bloody handbrake, so after that, I taped it over to prevent that happening again.

MKII GT SEP73 3.jpg

Here's a close up of the front quarter. I think that I took this one because I had just spent four hours hand-lettering and polishing my new 'Vredestsein Sprint' tyres.

Willys and Cortina 1974.jpg

And finally, here is a very grainy one of the old Corgi, and the even-older (1951) Willys truck that replaced her.

I still have the Willys, and this is her today......

JONS-51.jpg

That's all for now, blokes.

I will let you know how I go in my search for my lost passion....

Thank you all,

John.

Ride
    TC XL 6+ TD GS 6

Hello John,

Just wanted to say 'Thank You' for uploading those six pictures! Great to see that you still have the Willys truck and that's a wonderful picture of the two vehicles [or maybe I should say] girls next to each other. I'm sure you did love both BUT thankfully you still have the truck and I'm guessing you will have it until your final days which touch wood will be many decades from now! Very nice paint job on the truck, it almost looked like the colour of my TC in that pic from 1974 [yellow/cream colour] I think it looks much more appealing now.

Nice work you did on the console with the 8-track player, originally I thought you replaced the radio so it was good to see you left that factory radio and added in the 8-track, you made it look like it came that way from the factory. I could ask you lots of questions about the MK2 BUT I won't hold you back in the past any longer, I just want to wish you Good Luck and all the best for your future plans and hopefully you'll come back here and keep us up to date with what's happening with your search for a Mk2 GT and OR if you find one suitable, though I'm sure you will get one sooner or later just never give up.

Just an idea, if you have any trouble finding a suitable car then maybe try placing a 'wanted' add in a classic car magazine i.e. Unique Cars would be a good one for that, send in a picture of your old Mk2 GT and they can print that with your wanted details under the photo, I have known people who have done this and managed to source the car they wanted.

Take care and all the best!

Matt

PS In 2005 [Oct I think] we had a Cortina Central forums Melbourne cruise and some members from the Vic Cortina Mk1 club came along [this was before i had my TC] anyway the treasurer of the club at that time owned a white MK2 GT [I think it was a factory original] and here's a link to some pictures of that day on my Cortina picture site:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560056797KueyFX

Matt.
    Last edited by tfghiatcxlematt; 28-08-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Ride
    AUII XR6 VCT Manual

Hey Anubus51,

Welcome to the forum, and especially to the corty section. Once the cortina bug bites you it never really leaves. Hopefully you find that MK2 GT that you want. I got a TD cortina a few months ago of Ebay, at the time I was looking at a TD and a MK2 2 door cortina. I ended up getting the TD and was supprised how little it ended up selling for, the MK2 didnt sell as it didnt meet the reserve which was supprising being a 2 door. Previously I had a TE cortina which I owned for about 14 years, sure do miss her. Once again welcome and dont be afraid to ask questions or ask for help as Iam sure someone will be able to help you out.

Cheers

Rob

Ride
    74 TD - 2V

Yeah heaps welcome Anubus51,

Like corty80 and Matt welcome...welcome...welcome to the forum. Looks like Matt's got you covered re all the good spots in Mel for corty parts yo can also talk to our cousins in the NZ Coty MKI/MKII clubs they also are a great source of parts. I like the rest of the guys found an old TD rusting in a field and it reminded me of my dads car so 10 years ago I rebuilt the one I have now just for my son to learn to drive, nothing like what it looks like now. I did the basics engine, breaks and a bit of rust otherwise it looked cool for a teenager..

And he sure learnt to drive so when he finished learning in 2008 I rebuilt it again and I have not stopped. Once they get into your blood you really do not want to stop... like you say it's in the gut... again welcome and cheers

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Hi there Rob and TDCorty,

Many thanks for the welcomes.

I have been doing a bit of a search for my 'lost' passion, and have found a few available, but scattered right across Australia. They range widely in condition and price. One is a fairly rusty example in Queensland, complete with a pair of SU carbies on a reworked manifold (replacing the original Weber) - for some reason. The second is from SA, and looks to be complete, but very beaten up.

The third, however, is a near-pristene, restored 1970 GT-L from WA. Looks immaculate in the pics, and sports a completely renewed interior, including the wooden dash and door inserts, with rebuilt and recovered upholstery, non-original but very desirable wood rimmed steeering wheel, and a console mounted CD player. The bloke is asking $15000.

An earlier poster suggested that I may wish to get a 440, and bring it up to GT specs. I have thought that over, and have decided that I don't really want to go down that path. My health and strength are not as good as they were when I was in my forties - or even in my fifties, and I find it harder and harder to overtax my crook back these days. Forty five years of rolling around on cold, dirty concrete floors, climbing out and underneath jacked-up cars and trucks has become tiresome, not to mention almost impossible these days.

The gorgeous GT-L in WA sounds like the go.

All I have to do is try and find the money.

Oh well.

Thanks again, blokes.

Oh yeah, just before I shoot through, I would like to pose a question which has been bugging me since the mid 1960s........

WHY DID ENFO, IN ITS INFINITE WISDOM, CHOOSE TO BUILD THE GT CORTINA AS A FOUR-DOOR, RATHER THAN A TWO-DOOR?

(I have seen Lotuses which were 2-doors....)

(By definition, "Gran Turismo" means a sporty, 2-door car...)

John

Ride
    AUII XR6 VCT Manual

No idea why ford decided to have the GT model Cortinas and Falcons as 4 doors. Cost perhaphs ? The GT's should have all been 2 door.

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Hi Corty80,

The Falcon GTs (<VROOM VROOM>) were phenomenal for their time - and the genuine ones are fetching extraordinary prices these days - but with them there was no choice, as Ford didn't build a 2-door Falcon at that time. Sure, the earlier XM and XPs had 2-door models, as did the later XA - XC models. But the BIG ones (XR - XY) which started all the GT stuff off were only available in 4-doors.

However, the smaller English Fords already had 2- and 4-door models in their range.

Still seems strange to me.

John

Ride
    1970 Gt Cortina

I too am a newbie. A week ago I found a mk2 in a shed on a farm. Last rego 1994. Original GT. I am straightening it up got an udented bonnet today and a couple of straight doors. Need a stone tray though.

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Smile Re: Cortina MKII GT?

Hi there normo,

Do you have any pics that you can post?

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Thumbs up Re: Cortina MKII GT?

Hey normo,

Looks good, mate. (I am more than slightly envious...)

Some money spent, a lot of hours of work and elbow grease should bring her up to her former glory.

You seem to have a pretty clear spot to work on her, if that is your shed.

Please keep us posted with some progress pix as they happen.

Lots of luck!

Ride
    1970 Gt Cortina

Yeah we have a factory unit in Mudgeeraba and a signwriter shop. She should dress up pretty good. Working on the brakes at the moment.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Cortina

Nice GT, looks like all the good stuff is still there. Correct side mirror, plastic end caps on bumpers and are they the orginal driving lights?
    Roy Rogers
    Founder
    Small Ford Car Club of NSW

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Cortina

Even the right bonnet pins!
    Roy Rogers
    Founder
    Small Ford Car Club of NSW

Ride
    1970 Gt Cortina

I brought if of a farmer friend who got it from the original owner. She nudged a kangaroo and dented the bonnet. The light could have been changed then.

Ride
    1970 Gt Cortina

ripped up the carpets today and the floors are like new underneath. Boy that was a welcome sight. So far absolutely no rust found.

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Normo, that's a welcome report.

I think that I remember that mine had some floor rust when it was only three years old.....

Ride
    1970 Gt Cortina

ok guys 2 things needed wiring harness (new) where can I get one and any good resprayers on the Gold Coast?

Ride
    1970 Morris Cooper S

Hey Normo,

Give these blokes a try. scott@scottsoldautorubber.com.au

They list a MKII Cortina in their wiring looms list. Doesn't mention a GT, but there would not be much difference, except for the additional gauges and tacho.

Alternatively, there's a mob over in the USA called Painless Wiring that produces multi-fit 'street rod' looms. I fitted one of these to my Willys truck, and it's pretty comprehensive and straightforward. Of course, it won't be the original Enfo colour codes, but it all depends on what you are looking for...and how bad the original wiring is.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/ I think they have dealers here in Oz, too.

Hope this helps.

Ride
    1970 Gt Cortina

Sorry for the delay. Car is now straight and ready for paint, acrylic or 2 pack?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information