+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford remains undecided on motorsport commitment

Ride
    BF V8 Falcon Ute

Arrow Ford remains undecided on motorsport commitment

Ford’s group manager for motorsport sponsorship and events Graham Barrie says that there is no plans yet to formalise its V8 Supercars sponsorship plans.

“We’re still reviewing next year’s plan, so there’s no decision one way or another yet,” Barrie told Speedcafe.com.

more here
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/06/19/...rt-commitment/

>>not sure if we should read too much into this, but v8s may gain nissan and loose ford<<
    Reality is a nice place, but i wouldn't want to live there!
    My ride: BF Falcon XR8 ute

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Re: Ford remains undecided on motorsport commitment

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemuscle View Post
    Ford’s group manager for motorsport sponsorship and events Graham Barrie says that there is no plans yet to formalise its V8 Supercars sponsorship plans.

“We’re still reviewing next year’s plan, so there’s no decision one way or another yet,” Barrie told Speedcafe.com.

more here
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/06/19/...rt-commitment/

>>not sure if we should read too much into this, but v8s may gain nissan and loose ford<<

Remember that year. Ford have finally clawed back some street cred. It could win Bathurst
    and its luck could change...
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 21-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Maybe they are waiting to try and win Bathurst before deciding plans.

It's also a way to keep V8SC from increasing demands by threatening to withdraw.

With such dismal Falcon sales, the cost of involvement doesnt seem to be paying it's way and I wont be surprised to see the sponsorship go eventually. Frankly, dumping V8SC might actually IMPROVE sales as those put off by current brand image slowly shift their view.
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by docjames View Post
    Maybe they are waiting to try and win Bathurst before deciding plans.

It's also a way to keep V8SC from increasing demands by threatening to withdraw.

With such dismal Falcon sales, the cost of involvement doesnt seem to be paying it's way and I wont be surprised to see the sponsorship go eventually. Frankly, dumping V8SC might actually IMPROVE sales as those put off by current brand image slowly shift their view.
    Maybe competiting in the 24hr competition instead would be more productive as they are actually the production cars...
    Bathurst crowds are not full of drunken yobbos (police crackdown) as some people think- it has many enthusiasts as well. Hopefully with the growth of other marques not just Ford-Holden will help things.

Still regardless Ford Must win Bathurst this year.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 23-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Unfortunately though as mentioned at the start the Falcon sales are that poor that the entire Falcon related business case must be under huge pressure. If only all those fans were buying new falcons, clearly they are not.

I would doubt they would leave the sport, but may have some compromises on direct sponsorship of teams. The hardcore supporters would never recover. Question has to come if the product is right, if Focus becomes the better selling car in the next years perhaps Ford would be best served with a focus running around in an Australian Motorsport more like the ETCC.

May sound silly but there was never any disrespect for the Cosworth Sierra when that happened.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve View Post
    If only all those fans were buying new falcons, clearly they are not.

That pretty much sums it up.
    Current Rides:
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Experienced Member bfbetterthanfg's Avatar
    Ride
    FG Mk2 XR6 Ute

"Maybe the reason V8SC are so desperate to include another manufacturer is to still make it a two-horse show when Ford pull the pin? Perhaps behind closed doors notice has already been given? A Commodore Cup as the premier motor racing format in Oz wouldn't last long. I don't believe in allowing car companies who don't manufacture a RWD V8 for sale to the public to race in our ''V8SC'' championship. And I would much rather see FPV vs HSV production series with some slight performance and safety mods allowed on the cars like the Brutes. Not as fast, sure, but so much more interesting, true bragging rights, reliability tests, and fun! Even change the name to ''V8 Supercharged'' Let HSV put a supercharger on their product to bring up the power to FPV level and go for it. That whine coupled with a roaring V8 never gets old." - I wrote this previously on another thread a few months back when the announcement of Nissan joining was made. I stand by my comment. Ford are on the way out...Its a shame that we will never see a proper production match up between HSV and FPV before FPV goes under.
    Last edited by bfbetterthanfg; 30-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Ride
    Falc

There'll be plenty of real "production" racing as well as many other types of more or less tangible, relevant to the masses type racing in the future. Remember there's very little the V8 Supercars have in common with with their factory showroom offerings, so there's no "production" about it. It's Parity Racing, where any real competition is between the drivers and crew and not really the brands, which are now virtually identical and share much more in common than not, and each with very little in common with the alleged brands factory showroom vehicles owned by any brand waiving, jacket/cap wearing V8 Supercar faithful. Talk about a marketing success story..

Both V8 Supercar brands now have altered wheel bases, altered door and roof panels to match, both have homologated composit front guards, share the same brakes, suspension, gearbox, diffs, safety bar work, vehicle weights, and aerodynamics.. The motors themselves, although brand specific, are the same capacity, share many of the same specifications and make the same power, and each has almost nothing in common with factory offerings of similair capacity, as well as each motor being worth more than many factory showroom complete vehicles together.

Imo the Historics, the group N's, A, C, outlaws, and events like production ute racing etc are much more entertaining, and a more faithful representation of the brands and/or the spirit of racing, and unlike V8 Supercars are still of some relevance to the people watching them race, or indeed those racing them. Elite muti million dollar racing/marketing teams aren't necessary in order to partake..

That's not to say the V8 SC's aren't a brilliant piece of engineering, certainly within the specifications and rules governing them. The race line they can take through a corner is nothing short of amazing, it's just that both brands can take exactly the same line, and exact same everything on every circuit really.

You can thank the introduction of the Group C Touring Car category for that start of all this, introduced because of the media hyped 'Supercar Scare' of 1972. Prior to that you basically raced what was for sale on the showroom floor with very few mods, and drivers needed muchos more cojones to race them, and great to watch too.

Just thoughts.
    Last edited by Auyoot; 03-07-2012 at 04:15 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR6

If Ford suporters want them to stay in the game buy the product.Friends of mine from Geelong are always crying their businesses are going South because the City is dying.I tell them the same ,if all of Geelong bought Fords the City would thrive and so would they.I get answers such as "those b$#^&^%$ds sacked Uncle Bill in 1954 and I will not buy Fords because of that".So don't support Ford and Geelong can dry up and those of us that support v8's don't buy Fords and eventually they will have no reason to have a Falcon going around.

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Quote Originally Posted by Sprintman View Post
    If Ford suporters want them to stay in the game buy the product.Friends of mine from Geelong are always crying their businesses are going South because the City is dying.I tell them the same ,if all of Geelong bought Fords the City would thrive and so would they.I get answers such as "those b$#^&^%$ds sacked Uncle Bill in 1954 and I will not buy Fords because of that".So don't support Ford and Geelong can dry up and those of us that support v8's don't buy Fords and eventually they will have no reason to have a Falcon going around.
    There's plenty of other business in Geelong - in fact Geelong probably relies less on Ford now than it ever has.

That's not saying other businesses in Geelong arent also in trouble - it's a heavy manufacturing area, with a low skill-set workforce, and the Victorian manufacturing industry (ie. heavy / low skill manufacturing) now struggles to compete with overseas based heavy/low skill manufacturing.
    Current Rides:
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Ride
    04 BA Futura

After watching darwin and townsville races , to win bathurst FPR have to get their act together again, three cars on pole and they still cannot win , are we seeing the same old problem , FPR obviously still have not got this soft tyre problem sorted. The speed they give away to Whincup and Lowndes later on in the sprint races is a big worry. Can anyone explain to me, while Whincup was in for a pit stop, he was up on the air jacks, with his rear wheels rotating , which I understand is breaking the rules as one commentator also mentioned. Was there any followup on this incident?

The car's got pickup ZC-Cruiser's Avatar
    Ride
    ZC Fairlane

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrmk3 View Post
    Can anyone explain to me, while Whincup was in for a pit stop, he was up on the air jacks, with his rear wheels rotating , which I understand is breaking the rules as one commentator also mentioned. Was there any followup on this incident?
    Yes
    The decision is that the wheels started spinning after the air spike was removed from the car and therefore there was no breach...
    --
    "Apparently he's got the sooks on. But stiff mate, it's Bathurst"
    --Garth Tander

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR6

Quote Originally Posted by docjames View Post
    There's plenty of other business in Geelong - in fact Geelong probably relies less on Ford now than it ever has.

That's not saying other businesses in Geelong arent also in trouble - it's a heavy manufacturing area, with a low skill-set workforce, and the Victorian manufacturing industry (ie. heavy / low skill manufacturing) now struggles to compete with overseas based heavy/low skill manufacturing.
    Docjames I have just heard Ford are laying off 400 jobs which will partly affect Geelong.Of course Geelong relies less on Ford now than it ever has.No one is buying the product!The businesses I spoke of are small mechanical type deals,hamburger joints,welders etc who rely on the locals to have a quid and spend with them.The point I was making if Geelong wants to keep these small business people one way is to support what is/was the biggest outfit in town.Support businesses rely on the big boys to survive.eg the takeaway near the big factories go when the biggun lays off.Sub contractor truckies and the people who work on their rigs,provide tyres ,fuel etc. fold as well putting more out of work which transfers right through the City.If the locals supported Ford much (not all) of Geelongs problems would go away but judging by your reply maybe the people down there are happy with the way it is.

Ride
    none

Talking Re: Ford remains undecided on motorsport commitment

You can't have V8 SuperCars without Ford & Holden,With Nissan & Mercedes Benz coming into V8 SuperCars and trying to force out Ford & Holden V8 SuperCar competition,In fact I'm surprised than Nissan is not in NASCAR by now up here in the States

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information