+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New PX Ranger - Faults - Concerns- Reviews from owners

Ride
    Ford Ranger PX XLT

Default New PX Ranger - Faults - Concerns- Reviews from owners

Ok I will start the ball rolling I have had my PX XLT Ranger auto for 1000km now, (came from a Hilux SR5 TD auto)
    This is my company car in the agricultural industry, This is "My opinion" and is unbiased, I had a choice of any Dual Cab and this was my choice, I would not have chosen any different, Just some points so others can be informed.

1. Overall better than the Hilux
    2. Water stain in roof lining - dealer to inspect at 3000k check
    3. Auto window down doesn't work - 3000k check
    4. Paint work (white) is as a paint novice can see is a good orange peel (good for the people with chilli orange) - Hilux paint job was way better
    5. Auto gearbox is outstanding, the only criticism is it takes a bit to get use to and obviously with 6 gears and its towing capacity, 1st gear is really low, so sometime you go to take off, it revs and crawls along. down changing is cool
    6. Hill start assist is great at lights
    7. Don't rate voice control for climate, good to impress the kids, far quicker to change by the dial.
    8. My HTC phone sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't. This could be HTC, but always connected to my previous bluetooth in Tom tom Gps. (yes all settings are right)
    9. with the XLT I got a drivers mat. nice thought, but I was happy to buy all rubber mats for it aftermarket, but now I have this token mat that has clips in the carpet and only cover 3/4 of the driving floor. The foot rest is carpet, that will wear in no time with work boots
    More as time goes on

TA Troy

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Default Re: New PX Ranger - Faults - Concerns- Reviews from owners

Great post and good idea for a thread. All those new ranger owners give us updates as they arrive.

I wonder how much relates to the flooding in Thailand, and how much is just tight-fistedness....
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    Ford Ranger PX XLT

Oh another point,
    10 . Sticker, why do you use stickers on Paintwork (4x4) , these will not last. Raised plastic decals or nothing at all.

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

It is a good idea for a thread , could even be used as an ideas base for DIY fixes of the small nagging problems ,
    I saw the el cheapo footrest thing and thought that an old diecast pedal cover , you know the ones that are made to look like racing car pedals ,
    that sort of thing painted to match could be screwed in the footrest location and then appear as a proper footrest and without the worry of the carpet wearing thru in a coupla months .
    Or it will have to be atrip to the wreckers for a suitable donor to be cleaned up and made to look like it should be there .
    The process is always simple ,
    the Devil is in the Dynamics
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

I'm going to be negative first and blurt out what I don't like and then have a happy ending...

Really, really bad - Tow Bar, do I have to repeat why???

Really bad - Accessories, how hard is it to co-develop (or allow a third party to develop) accessories during product development????? Get with the program Ford, Toyota, Nissan, VW, Jeep, GM and evenj Mazda can do it, why can't you guys????

Really bad - Trailer wiring, guys, LED trailer lights aren't new, NASA isn't the only ones using them... And what about a safe place to mount an electric brake controller, the thing tows over 3 tonnes, everyone who does will be using an electric brake controller or similar. and no the panel under the steering column can contain an airbag in some markets.

Bad - Accessory Switches and UHF Radios, Vehicles like the Ranger are used for work and play, a lot need extra lights, radios and stuff, just look a hilux for how its done!

Bad - The trip computer access is downright dangerous if your not carefull!!!

Could be better - Would have been wonderful to be able have a few trip function up on the info screen, also manual Rangers don't use about half the info screen as there is no gear display like the auto models have.

Could be better - Head lights, High beam is pretty ordinary, if you can get a Falcon or Territory to have good headlights, why mnot a vehicle that will do its fear share of country miles?

Could be better - Speed on the Navigation system even if it was on the system info display for callibration only. (Anyone got a hack for this????)

Wildtrak could be better - Wildtrak floor mats, err, when you ordered them Ford, did you forget the new Ranger was bigger than the previous model?? 'Cos they look 10% smaller than they should be!!!!

Wildtrak could be better - Rear seat arm rest? Did we forget again Ford? It was in the Demo Cars., the brochures and even made a few of the videos...

Wildtrak could be better - Roller Shutter fit. shodily applied Silicone Sealant to a top of the Ranger $60k Vehilce??? Come on!!!

Wildtrak could be better - The vehicle manual is pretty short on detail on how the nav system works. In fact on the entire centre stack come to think of it.

Neutral Comments - How about offering a vinyl flooring for those that want it. For me, carpet is just a pain for a 4x4, would have preferred vinyl flooring with a set of very good carpeted floor mats that I could remove when we head bush.

Neutral Comments - Tyres, H/Ts may be quiet but what a waste on anything with a proper 4WD system and a diff lock.

Happy ending - That engine!!! 3.2L of greatness!!!

Happy ending - The fuel tank is actually big enough! First full tank, from 1/4 was 63L for 655km. The DTE showed 995km!!! On its second tank of fuel!!!

Happy ending - What a great drive!

Happy ending - My kids fit in the back seat again, my 185cm, 148kg brothetr can actually sit in the back seat. He has never been in the back seat of any twin cab ute, ever. He just can't fit!

Happy ending - I love my Chilli Orange Wildtrak!!!
    2012 PX Wildtrak, Ford Territory TS AWD, 1974 HQ Ute and 1964 Fairlane 500

My GPS must be an older version. Does Anybody know if Ford does a free upgrade for it? Also I'm having trouble with my roller shutter. It keeps opening up everytime I hit a bump. Did anyone get a manual on how to lock the shutters correctly?

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Chilli Wildtrak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquahead2001 View Post
    I'm going to be negative first and blurt out what I don't like and then have a happy ending...

Really bad - Accessories, how hard is it to co-develop (or allow a third party to develop) accessories during product development????? Get with the program Ford, Toyota, Nissan, VW, Jeep, GM and evenj Mazda can do it, why can't you guys????

Really bad - Trailer wiring, guys, LED trailer lights aren't new, NASA isn't the only ones using them... And what about a safe place to mount an electric brake controller, the thing tows over 3 tonnes, everyone who does will be using an electric brake controller or similar. and no the panel under the steering column can contain an airbag in some markets.

Bad - Accessory Switches and UHF Radios, Vehicles like the Ranger are used for work and play, a lot need extra lights, radios and stuff, just look a hilux for how its done!

Could be better - Would have been wonderful to be able have a few trip function up on the info screen, also manual Rangers don't use about half the info screen as there is no gear display like the auto models have.

Could be better - Head lights, High beam is pretty ordinary, if you can get a Falcon or Territory to have good headlights, why mnot a vehicle that will do its fear share of country miles?

Could be better - Speed on the Navigation system even if it was on the system info display for callibration only. (Anyone got a hack for this????)

Wildtrak could be better - Wildtrak floor mats, err, when you ordered them Ford, did you forget the new Ranger was bigger than the previous model?? 'Cos they look 10% smaller than they should be!!!!

Wildtrak could be better - Rear seat arm rest? Did we forget again Ford? It was in the Demo Cars., the brochures and even made a few of the videos...

Wildtrak could be better - Roller Shutter fit. shodily applied Silicone Sealant to a top of the Ranger $60k Vehilce??? Come on!!!

Wildtrak could be better - The vehicle manual is pretty short on detail on how the nav system works. In fact on the entire centre stack come to think of it.

Neutral Comments - How about offering a vinyl flooring for those that want it. For me, carpet is just a pain for a 4x4, would have preferred vinyl flooring with a set of very good carpeted floor mats that I could remove when we head bush.

Neutral Comments - Tyres, H/Ts may be quiet but what a waste on anything with a proper 4WD system and a diff lock.

Happy ending - The fuel tank is actually big enough! First full tank, from 1/4 was 63L for 655km. The DTE showed 995km!!! On its second tank of fuel!!!

Happy ending - My kids fit in the back seat again, my 185cm, 148kg brothetr can actually sit in the back seat. He has never been in the back seat of any twin cab ute, ever. He just can't fit!

Aqua,

i agree,

tow bar. replaced it today with a Hayman Reese, $550.00 fitted, looks 100% will post photos over the weekend
    Accessories. purchased a Mazda spot light wiring loom, it fits 95% why wont Ford supply them?
    Headlight, replaced the globes with Philips much better
    thank ford for the $50.00 Navigation unit, will be getting a aftermarked Garmin, why does Ford sell them as an Accessory for the Wildtrak on the Ford website??

also my Radio changes channel randomly to a different preset?

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

Quote Originally Posted by Chibby View Post
    Aqua,

i agree,

tow bar. replaced it today with a Hayman Reese, $550.00 fitted, looks 100% will post photos over the weekend
    Accessories. purchased a Mazda spot light wiring loom, it fits 95% why wont Ford supply them?
    Headlight, replaced the globes with Philips much better
    thank ford for the $50.00 Navigation unit, will be getting a aftermarked Garmin, why does Ford sell them as an Accessory for the Wildtrak on the Ford website??

also my Radio changes channel randomly to a different preset?
    Chibby, the radio channels may be the standard am or fm and then the auto store (ast) set, so you end up with 2 x 10 presets of both am and fm. Had me confused for a few days, I can tell you!!

Re the navigation system, seeing its an sd card memory, I reckon it'll be a short time before better versions of maps etc arrive on the after market scene. FYI, I used my garmin etrex vista this week in parallel with the standard Wildtrak unit, the Wildtrak actually worked better. Picked up where it was quicker, didnt have a hissy fit in the thick Latrobe Valley fog like the etrex did for 10 mins and worked out a better route for me from the far east of Melbourne to Eltham and back to Geelong.

It's not that intuative to use but it's getting easier as I familiarise myself with it. What I think it needs is a few optional voices: Vivian from the Young Ones, Hal from 2001 A Space Odyessy and my all time favourite James Earl Jones doing Darth Vader!

Ride
    Ford Ranger PX XLT

Also have a HTC but have had no problems with it connecting, after nearly 3000km only problem I have had is the trailer plug is coroding at a fast rate, thinking must have a GFD as has never been wet. Only other problem had was with my dealer putting stickers all over the windows advertising everything known to man not happy having to spend an afternoon pulling crappy stickers off a new car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy C View Post
    Ok I will start the ball rolling I have had my PX XLT Ranger auto for 1000km now, (came from a Hilux SR5 TD auto)
    This is my company car in the agricultural industry, This is "My opinion" and is unbiased, I had a choice of any Dual Cab and this was my choice, I would not have chosen any different, Just some points so others can be informed.

1. Overall better than the Hilux
    2. Water stain in roof lining - dealer to inspect at 3000k check
    3. Auto window down doesn't work - 3000k check
    4. Paint work (white) is as a paint novice can see is a good orange peel (good for the people with chilli orange) - Hilux paint job was way better
    5. Auto gearbox is outstanding, the only criticism is it takes a bit to get use to and obviously with 6 gears and its towing capacity, 1st gear is really low, so sometime you go to take off, it revs and crawls along. down changing is cool
    6. Hill start assist is great at lights
    7. Don't rate voice control for climate, good to impress the kids, far quicker to change by the dial.
    8. My HTC phone sometimes connects, sometimes doesn't. This could be HTC, but always connected to my previous bluetooth in Tom tom Gps. (yes all settings are right)
    9. with the XLT I got a drivers mat. nice thought, but I was happy to buy all rubber mats for it aftermarket, but now I have this token mat that has clips in the carpet and only cover 3/4 of the driving floor. The foot rest is carpet, that will wear in no time with work boots
    More as time goes on

TA Troy

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Really bad - Trailer wiring, guys, LED trailer lights aren't new, NASA isn't the only ones using them... And what about a safe place to mount an electric brake controller, the thing tows over 3 tonnes, everyone who does will be using an electric brake controller or similar.
    shouldnt have to place a power conversion circuits on the trailer as they do in europe.
    I have a disco that has 3 trailer plug and wiring spagetti.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Towbar-wir...00000002565577

I started to rewire my 2500KG trailer to suit the 1998 rule change with power charge warning indicator on the dash.the best way is to run the trailer as a stand alone system with the rear battery operating through relays.
    lots of buisnesses are converting back to bulbs for the main lights due to the running costs of LED mostly due to solder and UV.....clearance/plate lights are best LED as these smaller lights dont give as much trouble but most around here are using bosch navra hella..

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

hilux has problem conecting to blackberry.

brake aplication
    http://redarc.com.au/products-and-se...ake-controller
    http://gsl.com.au/tl_files/content/GSL-automotive.pdf

other brands are not as big.

had a advertisment for switches and wiring for asian veicles--for lights--long overdue and cheep..and parts for the superceeded utes.long over due-

we been getting new update hilux this week with plastic ute tray parts and larger ari intakes---and that ugly korean grill..

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Ive got some photos of the new work ute,2.2 6 speed..
    it basic dark grey inside with white paint.
    seat covers are EXPLORER X that look OK.

new body is even shorter that the old unit.
    and the driver has complained how hard it it to clean compared to old model.

Ride
    PX RANGER XLT

not to sure what the discussion about the Trailer LED lights is about. is there a problem with the PX wiring to the hitch and the trailer being towed having LED lights??
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquahead2001 View Post

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

LED lights use less current for the same light-

the electronics on new cars moniter power use.
    the body computor of european cars[ranger] moniter lights to check they work and cant cope with the LED bulbs.

the computor programers obviously dont tow a road legal trailers.

Ride
    Ford Ranger PX XLT

On the LED issue, Tomorow I need to tow a LED trailer, What does it do?

on another issue, my Auto power widow has started working

Ride
    PX RANGER XLT

an electronic module at the hitch/wiring harness sounds like the go, will need to organize with dealer prior to delivery.
    seems odd because i think the hitches are all Aussie made and that should have been taken into account?

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

Quote Originally Posted by THE RIMU View Post
    an electronic module at the hitch/wiring harness sounds like the go, will need to organize with dealer prior to delivery.
    seems odd because i think the hitches are all Aussie made and that should have been taken into account?
    Hi Rimu, the issue is pretty simple, the Ranger uses a CANBUS system that uses the entire electrical wiring loom to do more than just power lights, motors and other things. It also monitors all these items health and tells the body equipment computer if all is ok. This is now becoming quite common on new cars, it's not something that's specific to the Ranger only.

This is not an issue when you add things like a trailer to the wiring system as long as the extra power consumption is taken into account. Ford did that by fitting a trailer tow module to ensure the extra electrical load from a trailer is not thrown onto the CANBUS system. However, for reasons we will never know, they didn't take into account LED trailer lights. As they use very low electrical power, the minuscule voltages the CANBUS system uses, can actually make them flicker.

The solution to the problen, seeing Ford were too thick to think about it, is to add resisters to your trailer wiring. Ford has now figured the error of their ways and offers an "LED Patch Lead". Call your dealer and tell him you have learnt of the issue and that you have LED lights on you trailer and they better supply one for nix or there'll be hell to pay!!!

Give it a go, for $35, the dealer will usually throw it in for the sake of of another happy customer.... And no, on the Ranger the entire tow bar is fitted at the factory on XLT and Wildtrak models, even the removable hitch was inside mine when it arrived at the dealers, wiring was fitted too. All my dealer had to fit was the tow ball!
    Last edited by Aquahead2001; 14-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Ride
    PX RANGER XLT

nice work aquahead!
    dealer has been outstanding with the delays so i reckon the part (patch lead) will be sweet.
    and i thought the hitches looked a tad northern neighbour like!
    cheers.

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by THE RIMU View Post
    nice work aquahead!
    dealer has been outstanding with the delays so i reckon the part (patch lead) will be sweet.
    and i thought the hitches looked a tad northern neighbour like!
    cheers.
    The tow bar could have been done better !
    With the tow ball and the LED Patch Lead , my dealer said " Mark they are in the glove box for you " !
    Surprisingly he has been bang on in predicting the delivery timing/s ( I quizzed him re some of the Wildtrak delays and he got that right too ! ) ,
    I think it helped me that this guy is the dealership's stock controller , he has his finger on the button , so to speak , and is happy to keep track of things .
    So , are we to soon hear that you'ved dumped the Nissan and are in love with the new Ranger ?
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

Guys ,
    Alot of the problem with the LED's is related to the way they are set up and the wave shape of the current thay draw . The Ecu will ' see '
    reflections from the LEDs . It is very tech , PM if you need more detail .
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Ride
    PX RANGER XLT

After 5 Ford single cab utes the last being the BA Turbo, the Nissan was the best option 5 years ago, time to go back to the roots so the Ranger was a no-brainer!

cheers and thanks for your help mate.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Chilli Wildtrak.

Watch out with the LED patch lead, if you have the adaptor that convert flat to round plug, the adaptor plugs into the LED adaptor but doesn't lock in place, my adaptor came apart on a long trip and after dragging on the ground for a few hundred Klm there's not much left, use cable ties to join the 2 adaptors together.

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

Quote Originally Posted by Chibby View Post
    Watch out with the LED patch lead, if you have the adaptor that convert flat to round plug, the adaptor plugs into the LED adaptor but doesn't lock in place, my adaptor came apart on a long trip and after dragging on the ground for a few hundred Klm there's not much left, use cable ties to join the 2 adaptors together.
    I have been worried about that too, I've decided to chuck the round plugs and go for flat plugs. I have found over the years that the old Victorian round plugs, although they look robust, just aren't. Have one thing with a flat plug that I tow occasionally (not mine) and it never plays up, the connections always work first time, the round ones of mine and everyone else, play merry hell most of the time... I just posted elsewhere that I'm going to convert my 6 trailers, boats and caravan over to flat. I'll be adding in a set of resisters to stop the flicker too.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Hot Chilli Wildtrack

There are a couple of threads going about general items for the new ranger. Can everyone make a choice & stick to one so it will save time checking all the different ones. Which one does everyone want to use.

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Al's Mobile View Post
    There are a couple of threads going about general items for the new ranger. Can everyone make a choice & stick to one so it will save time checking all the different ones. Which one does everyone want to use.
    Al ,
    That is a big ask !
    But , you know that .
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information