+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BA Wheel bearings

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Question BA Wheel bearings

Hi
    I'm in need to replace my front wheel bearings (among other things) and im getting a huge amount of mixed info! ive been told by one mechanic that its like the ute we own and you just pop the bearings out and replace them and then another mechanic told me its a sealed unit have to replace the whole hub!

So im really after a straight answer for a 03 BA XT which mechanic is right about the front wheel bearings is it a full unit or just bearings?

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Default Re: BA Wheel bearings

its a hub unit-with a single assemble bearing-with a single nut.
    it not the same as a commodore.

ive been replacing the nut at the same time.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    BA FALCON

According to my Service manual you remove the axle Hub ( the metal cage surrounding the stays in place, do not attempt to remove it from the nut) Note A hydrulic press is required to remove the bearing from the hub assembly. So maybe what one mechanic is telling you that it's easier to just replace the whole assembly, rather than having to press the bearing from the Hub assembly

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Quote Originally Posted by billybo View Post
    According to my Service manual you remove the axle Hub ( the metal cage surrounding the stays in place, do not attempt to remove it from the nut) Note A hydrulic press is required to remove the bearing from the hub assembly. So maybe what one mechanic is telling you that it's easier to just replace the whole assembly, rather than having to press the bearing from the Hub assembly
    so your saying i would need a hydrolic press of some sort to knock em out? would you know which is cheaper replacing the bearing or just replace the whole hub?

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Like davohoos said you just replace the whole hub unit. I kept the old nut, but you can buy replacement if you want.

Have a look at ebay for ford ba hub bearings and you will see that you can get the whole unit genuine ford for around $67.

Aftermarket you could get two for the price of the genuine. Your choice.

I did aftermarket about 40 000kms ago and no humming whist turning the steering wheel (ie side loading the wheel bearings) anymore.

If your DIY and a member of the forum, check this out: http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=319

Informative and lots of pics on how to do the change yourself,

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Quote Originally Posted by baboon View Post
    Like davohoos said you just replace the whole hub unit. I kept the old nut, but you can buy replacement if you want.

Have a look at ebay for ford ba hub bearings and you will see that you can get the whole unit genuine ford for around $67.

Aftermarket you could get two for the price of the genuine. Your choice.

I did aftermarket about 40 000kms ago and no humming whist turning the steering wheel (ie side loading the wheel bearings) anymore.

If your DIY and a member of the forum, check this out: http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=319

Informative and lots of pics on how to do the change yourself,

Good luck.
    Yer thanks for that went through my entire workshop manual trying to find the procedure an believe it or not it dosnt cover it.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Quote Originally Posted by billybo View Post
    IS this for the 4X4[teritory]?not seen one.
    or the rear IRS on the sedan.?

Experienced Member
    Ride
    BF Mk11 SR, NF V8

Assuming BA and BF are the same, I was told by a dealer foreman that the whole hub has to be replaced, you can't just change the bearings anymore. Pretty expensive he said.
    Don't know if that includes the brake rotors, if it does, would that mean when the rotors start getting in need of a skim the whole assy. needs replacing, or are the rotors separate?

Can anyone say roughly what mileage this has to be done, it doesn't sound like something you'd want to do every 50 - 100,000k's. Mines done 80000k's so far and still all good.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

the new ford hub is cheeper than the old bearings.
    work payed $75 each for genuine parts and they average just over 100K.
    disc is seporate to the hub.a good standard disc is about $20-40each

I replaced full set disc and pads recenty for $100.

the older falcon you normally replace bearings with the expencive front disc.
    but you also normally regrease/service the old bearing at 20-40K or everytime you drive through water.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    BF Mk11 SR, NF V8

Thanks, so I won't need to take out a bank loan, (ever the optimist!) We do long trips towing a van, don't really need wheel bearings failing out on the Barkley Tableland.
    With the dear old Lizzie and for the van I just carried a spare set, not so easy with the BF11.

Might be a preventative mtce job, get them all changed at 100k whether they need it or not, what do the experts say?

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

havnt had any fail-instantly.

I replaced a set for a RTV ute that had been driven for months the driver blaming the off road tryes.
    I ordered the bearings when i noticed a dry noise when changing the brake pads[metal to metal].

2 weeks later they came back for the job[roster day servicing] and the bearing had failed-it took heaps to get it off with a puller and heat.
    but this had been driven for monthswith a stuffed bearing often off road in water.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    Eb series ll

i need to do the wheel bearing on my car is there a torque spec on the nut? because i dont want to under or over tighten them

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Quote Originally Posted by Wiix-360 View Post
    i need to do the wheel bearing on my car is there a torque spec on the nut? because i dont want to under or over tighten them
    on a BA Mk 1 its ~300 nm some say 305 others say 295 but ford told me 300nm so I went with that. you will need a good quality torque wrench to get to that torque I've only seen High quality 1/2 drives with that torque i was lucky to get my hands on a Snap-on one hope this helps you

Experienced Member
    Ride
    Eb series ll

ok thank you i can get my hand on a good torque wrench and i have an 04 ba would that be a MK2 it says XT on the back

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2003/4 BA XT-T

Quote Originally Posted by Wiix-360 View Post
    ok thank you i can get my hand on a good torque wrench and i have an 04 ba would that be a MK2 it says XT on the back
    to my knowledge unless it has MK2 on the back its a mark 1, MK2 models started late 2004 so you would need to check but all BA-BF falcons use the same wheel bearings

Experienced Member
    Ride
    Eb series ll

ok tankyou i will torque them up to 300Nm or maybe less

Experienced Member
    Ride
    Eb series ll

i ended up double checking with my ford dealer they said to torque the bearings up to 285Nm

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information