+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clicking sound when i start my BA falcon XR6T coming from the air cond

Ride
    BA XR6 Turbo

Default Clicking sound when i start my BA falcon XR6T coming from the air cond

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with a problem i am having with my car.??
    I have a 2004 BA Falcon XR6 Turbo sedan and every time i start my car in the morning i get a clicking noise that is coming from my dash area.(Air cond unit i believe)...
    It also make this same sound when i turn my air cond on and off....
    Does anyone know what may be causing this sound???
    Cheers
    Jp

Ride
    03 NA XR6 Manual

Default Re: Clicking sound when i start my BA falcon XR6T coming from the air cond

Electric clutch kicking in from the air con compressor. This is normal.
    BA NA XR6 Manual in Blueprint
    PH4495's, XR6T exhaust, F6 Intake + Pod, 36lb Injectors, 7kg CrMo Flywheel, XRT HD Clutch, Alloy CSC, DBA Slotted, Bendix pads.
    2x 12" Response subs, Response Splits and 6x9's, JVC head unit, 2x 4x100wrms Amps, Spaghetti jungle of wiring.

Ride
    BA XR6 Turbo

Default Re: Clicking sound when i start my BA falcon XR6T coming from the air cond

Thanks for that ..but i have had this car for the past 4 years and it has never made this sound before??
    Its like a propellor is behind the dashboard and is hitting a plastic wall??
    ???? cheers

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Turn aircon on, fan speed low, can you hear it? Fan speed high does noise go away? If so, probably brushes in the blower motor behind glovebox.

Turn aircon on, turn temperature to hot from cold, hear the noise? Or turn air from blowing into your face, to blowing to windscreen, do you hear it? If so, possibly the gears in the HVAC integrated module grinding/slipping on the shaft gears that mix hot/cold, or gears that redirect air from face to windscreen etc. Or even possibly broken plastic mixer shaft gears, causing grinding sound...

If you can live with it and are not getting temperature imbalance problems, then ignore it.

If you cant then dash out to check the gears, or at minimum if blower fan is the fault, glovebox out job.

Good luck.
    Last edited by baboon; 13-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    BA Mkii V8 ute

Sounds like the fan is hitting something. A leaf or other debris perhaps

Ride
    BA XR6 Turbo

Thank u ... will give it a go to see if it either of these..
    cheers
    jp
    Ok i changed the direction from face to screen and nil noise.....BUT.. then i changed the temp from cold to hot and slightly heard the noise during this change... then i put both temps back to low...HOWEVER now the drivers side is blowing hot and the passengers side is blowing cold.....even though on the screen gage temp both sides are set at low for both sides...
    ??????
    Last edited by xr6tjp; 20-02-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: updating answer after completing test.

Ride
    BA XR6 Turbo

Thank u..i did this test and it was the change in the temp that caused the noise...however now the drivers side is stuck on hot and doesnt change back to cold even though the temp changed back to low..its still blowing hot????

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Hi mate,

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a broken drivers side mixer shaft.

There is an excellent thread and pictures by Kil4Collingwood here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11218385

Shows you pics of how the new airconditioning systems work, its all electronic motors and shafts now, unlike the AU and previous with a vacuum setup...

By the way, if it starts to look too expensive and too hard to fix, you could try to get luck and set the drivers side temperature hot to cold then cold to hot until the drivers is cold again and leave it at that... thats if your lucky...

or even more lucky, its still under warranty and you can claim that...

Good luck.
    Last edited by baboon; 20-02-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Ride
    BA XR6 Turbo

Cheers thanks for that.......Any idea on what this problem will cost to get fixed?? I know ford will b a fortune and is there n e 1 else i can take it too to get it fixed at a cheaper price...?? I live near Newcastle NSW ....
    Cheers for your help too

Ride
    2002 BA XT Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by xr6tjp View Post
    Cheers thanks for that.......Any idea on what this problem will cost to get fixed?? I know ford will b a fortune and is there n e 1 else i can take it too to get it fixed at a cheaper price...?? I live near Newcastle NSW ....
    Cheers for your help too
    I cant quite help you there as I try to do most of the repairs myself with help from forums/guides/advice etc...

But I can tell you that when I did a dash out job it took me a full weekend almost 24hours in total! Im very slow and take my time, but I'd imagine that a person with experience could do it in a few hours. I did read someone get a quote from ford for 6 hours labour and parts to almost cost them $700.

But someone here might be able to point you out to a helpful mechanic in Newcastle. I'd say a mechanic outside of ford might be able to do it for half the price of above.

Otherwise ring around and get quotes and explain your problem and see what they think the problem is, they might think its something else.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information