Thread: Great Wall of Rust!

Hybrid View

Forum Regular
    Ride
    concorde

Default Great Wall of Rust!

Pretty interesting stuff here.

http://www.facebook.com/gwmrusty

A friend bout one of the chinese Great Wall X240, and within months it was completely rusted!

RAA inspection showed it had been resprayed before as well.

Purchased new, with 17km on the clock, Great Wall won't refund the money (why would someone want a replacement car?)

greatwall.jpg

Ride
    XR6 50TH Anniversary

Default Re: Great Wall of Rust!

heard that bolt on panels were not lining up correctly if involved in an accident. I would defiantly steer clear of any car imported from China.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Like the old "doctor doctor, it hurts when I go like this. Well don't go like this". Wtf would anyone buy a great wall?

Disturbing to see a new vehicle in that condition
    There is always going to be some exceptional cases among car manufacturers with this problem, BTW Ford seem to have a few problems like this on new FG's as posted on this forum...

Ride
    Renault Latitude

I've seen this parked in a car park on South Rd, Edwardstown here in Adelaide and have been meaning to take a picture of it. What a laugh!!
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi

Experienced Member Sir Rohsis of Liver's Avatar
    Ride
    '76 F100, '70 F250,

My painting contractor has a ute, he's very happy with it, but I'd hate it and wouldn't have one as a gift. I guess some people are easier too please than others.
    Mind you I despise Toyota's Hilux too! and as for them being unbreakable, I've broken plenty of 'em.
    For a work truck, give me a good pre 80s F truck, Dodge or Inter any day!
    Dunno why people buy this under engineered rubbish

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

You get what you pay for.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Quote Originally Posted by PaulST View Post
    Silly comment.....
    I have a few acquaintances in the Auto industry with delivery of vehicles from overseas (imports) and if the vehicle is not prepped properly (protected) they suffer rust problems and believe me there are quite a few that do from all manufacturers and you be surprised how many are repaired/resprayed.....without you knowing about it unless the problem shows up again....

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

plenty of older falcons with the same issues.and have a quick look at falcon ute at the back of the cab.
    there has been several stat write offs on EBAY recently and the BA we sold sold off recently had rust scale in the door openings and across the back of the cab.

its always anoyed me with the area around the bonnet hinges from XD to the current falcons would get some simple coating of some type could have been developed for a dealer fix to stop water sitting on a bare metal.rust proofing like fish oil look messy.

I have made many repaires for the factory rusted or loose fitted gas strut balls at the last job.
    both front and rear of sedan/wagon cutting of the effected parts sealing and fitting our home made repair parts.

was always a common complaint about european made cars untill a 7 year body protection system became compulsary in europe.im guess we see the same from asian cars as they relearn and devolope new methods.
    I havnt seen rust stain like this since water based paints.

in the holden dealer of my youth was 4 painters for around 200 a month.the cars are transported by rail and etched with brake dust and diesel.
    in the 90.s after the water based paint introduction they got it down to 1 painter.
    different companies pay different rates for shipping and cars caught in typhones often get redirected to other markets.
    Last edited by Davehoos; 11-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Ride
    79 Te & 09 FG XR6

Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    Silly comment.....
    I have a few acquaintances in the Auto industry with delivery of vehicles from overseas (imports) and if the vehicle is not prepped properly (protected) they suffer rust problems and believe me there are quite a few that do from all manufacturers and you be surprised how many are repaired/resprayed.....without you knowing about it unless the problem shows up again....
    The place where i work holds Great Wall vehicles in storage until they go to dealers, we once had a shipment come in of about 300 or so units & out of those 300 over 250 were damaged on arrival. Recently we had a batch of Wranglers that were leaking water through the roof some where, i was shocked to find out what can & does happen to brand new cars before there bought

Ride
    Infiniti Q50S Hybrid

Not really a surprise as the core competence of China is cutting cost, certainly not quality control or good customer relations. Technically a customer is responsible for accepting the car on delivery, and in some countries, Japan and Korea for example, some customers will have the car delivered to a 3rd party agency (NRMA or whatever) who will go over it with a fine tooth comb. Sounds bizzare but that is the rule, as of course naturally once you have it there is no control over what you do with it. He can say he never did those repairs himself but can never prove it.

A decent car company may consider supporting the customer in such a case.

Ride
    Varied

If the car looks to have been resprayed at new, that would indicate a problem locally. I had a 2005 Bravo 4X4 that had rust under the windscreen vent area, it had to be sandblasted only a year later.

Cars can get swamped with seawater on journeys to OZ.
    Last edited by Keepleft; 12-12-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    PURCHASE OFFICIAL FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European/UN standard hazard-warning triangle, designed to improve the 'initial-alert-warning' for approaching traffic at crash scenes (prevents secondary), and breakdowns. Stow in boot. NEW Dealer Retail $35.95. AS3790 accepted!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards Sleeve View Post
    Not really a surprise as the core competence of China is cutting cost, certainly not quality control or good customer relations. Technically a customer is responsible for accepting the car on delivery, and in some countries, Japan and Korea for example, some customers will have the car delivered to a 3rd party agency (NRMA or whatever) who will go over it with a fine tooth comb. Sounds bizzare but that is the rule, as of course naturally once you have it there is no control over what you do with it. He can say he never did those repairs himself but can never prove it.

A decent car company may consider supporting the customer in such a case.
    Very true on the car inspection at delivery as this applies to us in Australia.
    It is up to the owner to inspect the vehicle before taking possession making sure the vehicle is OK.
    In 2000 I had this problem with my wife's laser when purchased, that night her brother pointed out a minute dent in rear door, Ford would not come to party fixing it and yet the car was driven home and no where else....

"Lesson is inspect your new purchase carefully before driving away." Do not trust any Dealership as the onus will be on you.

Ride
    BF V8 Falcon Ute

Quote Originally Posted by PaulST View Post
    i agree, no reason cars can't be cheap, if you replace it after 3 years, then you probably avoid most of the issues it's going to have in it's lifetime. (and think how much money you'll save not living for the next 40 years!)

i took delivery of this vehicle in Feb 2011, approximately two weeks after delivery the car was back at the dealers for rust repair to the rear tail gate, and RH rear panel, and a corroded hinge on the centre console...
    doesn't sound too bad.
    Last edited by aussiemuscle; 13-12-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Reality is a nice place, but i wouldn't want to live there!
    My ride: BF Falcon XR8 ute

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by concord View Post
    Pretty interesting stuff here.

http://www.facebook.com/gwmrusty

A friend bout one of the chinese Great Wall X240, and within months it was completely rusted!

RAA inspection showed it had been resprayed before as well.

Purchased new, with 17km on the clock, Great Wall won't refund the money (why would someone want a replacement car?)

Attachment 24238
    Spoke to a lawyer? What does the car warranty include for
    its claims of repair. Also what are the dealer agreements on delivery?
    Russian Ladas had plenty of problems as well with motors though their
    chassis at least were better...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information