+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Easy Tint Removal!!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    95 NL Fairlane Ghia

Cool Easy Tint Removal!!

quick easy removal of tint!!

you need:

windex, black garbage bags (large enuff for the window/s in question), paper towels, and a razor blade

This is so easy its not funny, i've done this myself.

1. cut the bag to fit the tinted area
    2. spary heaps of Windex to the tint, (on the inside of window), and put the garbage bag onto the sprayed tint
    3. turn on your heater Full and leave the car in the sun, running for 20mins - 1hr depending what the outside temp is. (If you live in a cool climate or there is a lack of sun, it can be a problem, but if u stick a black garbage bag on the outside of the window as well.
    4. check to see if the corner of the tint is to able to be lifted using the razor blade, if it peals off, then grab the garbage bag and tint at the same time, then peel both off together!!
    5. clean window with the windex and paper towel!!

Works on rear windows without harming the defroster!! (If doing it on the rear window put the rear demister on as well)

I've done it, it works great, is cheap and easy!!!!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    PX Ranger Dual Cab

Default Re: Easy Tint Removal!!

Sounds easy. Could you use a heat gun or hair dryer instead of leaving the engine running for an hour?

Forum Regular
    Ride
    95 NL Fairlane Ghia

Exclamation Re: Easy Tint Removal!!

Quote Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
    Sounds easy. Could you use a heat gun or hair dryer instead of leaving the engine running for an hour?
    You can but u risk melting the tint, and it makes it a lot harder to remove the glue from the tint, but you have to use heaps of windex, the windex helps release the glue and the tint!

If you have a really sunny day it wont take long.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

I just paid the shop to do it, and retint the windows.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    95 NL Fairlane Ghia

Default Re: how do you do

Quote Originally Posted by ErnestoMM View Post
    I am very appreciated
    Glad some of my learned skills have helped another!! Happy Motoring Dude!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    95 NL Fairlane Ghia

Thumbs up Re: how do you do

Quote Originally Posted by ErnestoMM View Post
    I am very appreciated
    Glad some of my learned skills have helped another!! Happy Motoring Dude!

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

why do you need the black plastic on the tint? i don't understand its purpose, couldnt you just peel the tint alone? im sure the tint is stronger than the plastic bag... just curious.
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Ride
    BA Falcon ute

To trap and hold the heat, which then helps the glue go softer.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    95 NL Fairlane Ghia

Cool Re: Easy Tint Removal!!

exactly Redwight, thanks for explaining!!!

Ride
    Honda Civic

Wow that is pretty good... thanks for sharing this method to remove the windows tint... But I also heard that the hair dryer can also do this thing for you.... but your method is more easy... good sharing
    Last edited by Alston007; 24-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Ride
    2005 LS Ford Focus

Best method I have found is to go down & buy a $50 clothes steamer, a bottle of "Omph", hot water, vinegar & paper towel (news paper works really well)...

Step 1: Use the steamer to heat the corner edge of the window tint until you can flick it up with a razor blade, now depending on how old the tint is you can be sometimes lucky enough that the glue will come away with the tint all nice and clean... If your not that lucky, don't sweat it, keep slowly working away at the tint peeling it back...

Step 2: Once the window tint has been removed, if you have any glue left on the window, meet your new best friend... "Omph", this **** is amazing (Found at Bunnings & some supermarkets)... It'll turn that glue into a jelly that you can just wipe off with the paper towel, this stuff will remove sikaflex, silicon & most sticky substances from your hands or anything else you spray it on... Also very good for removing stains from carpets & seats...

Step 3: When all the tint & glue is removed from the window, get a bucket of hot water (or at least as hot as you can put your hands in to), poor in a good helping of vinegar & wash your windows... Once they are clean, dry with paper towel or news paper...

Step 4: About an hour later , sit back with beer in hand & look at your nice clean windows... Jobs done :-)

Ride
    ED Ford Futura

I know this thread is a bit old but totally agree with Al_Zhiemer, Just get a cheap household steamer and a razor blade scraper. Tint is adhered to the glass using waterbased glues. The steam softens it and helps to bubble the tint up off the glass. I removed all the tint onmy old 85 Patrol and managed to peel most of the windows off in two or three pieces.
    When its all off use a polish for ceramic glass cooktops to remove the remaining residue. Not sure about "oomph" as I've never heard of it before.

Cheers Ric.
    Last edited by AlluvialRic; 11-01-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    Previously; Taxi Pak XC Falcon 500
    ED Futura, Biscane Blue, Factory Alloys, Sports exhaust.
    And Deisel MK Nissan Patrol. Just to get me to where the FORD won't go
    EL Futura Sapphire with factory alloys

Experienced Member
    Ride
    XF & el Fairmont sw,

I've had to do 2 cars that failed an inspection because of old, damaged tint, filled an mt spray bottle with dish washing liquid mixed in water, sprayed on windows 1 at a time, waited 5 minutes then hit it with a razor blade. Neither car took much more than an hour.
    Just be careful of the back window demister, need to work carefully around that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information