View Poll Results: Is multiculturalism working in Australia

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It shows what a great nation we are.

1 7.69%
  • Perhaps. But there are many problems some don't want to admit

7 53.85%
  • more harm than good

2 15.38%
  • absolute failure ruining our country

3 23.08%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has multicultralism failed?

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Has multicultralism failed?

This is a interesting topic. While one can be tolerant one cannot be tolerant of those
    who disown the country and the laws of the land reguardless of their religious/political
    background. Its already happened in Europe soon the US and maybe soon Australia as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKG76HF24_k
    Integration is better than multicultural-ism's?
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 20-07-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Ride
    BA Falcon ute, AU XR

Default Re: Has multicultralism failed?

Judgement is one of the many facets of human nature, you make judgements when driving that allow you to reach your destination as an example. The problem is that if you miss a factor or lose attention momentarily it can be dangerous, or maybe not.
    Multiculturalism has been one of the building blocks of this country, some of my in-laws are Italian and Sicilian, my ancestry is a mix of German, various British, and Jewish. But there is a lot of problems and fear mixed together with some of the current lot, especially when there are literally whole suburbs where they group together and re-create the old country ways. Fear has never produced anything worthwhile - ever. Either the fear is justified by continual evidence supporting it or it is unjustified, it's that simple. A large number of the immigrants that come here just want a better life, hostility from the locals cannot make the process easier and many people would then naturally seek out familiar faces to find better company. It is a self feeding monster at some stage, and in some situations. The most troublesome ethnic group here for example were born in this country and they pre-date white invasion, they end up poorly educated because they believe that no one will give them much of a chance anyway and then end up getting frustrated if they can't get passable employment and start going a very different direction. It's no different for any other ethnic minority either, but at least for most of them they have an understanding of where making those choices lead and they get busy trying to make a better life happen.
    Where it doesn't work is when you insist that this place should be like you're old place, and completely disrespect all else around you. Like this----http://www.news.com.au/national/how-sharia-is-working-in-australia-as-a-shadow-legal-system/story-e6frfkvr-1226098135210. That just irritates the locals and show no respect for anything other than self. That is rarely a path to success.

Ride
    2000 AU2 XR6 VCT

I really don't think multiculturalism is that much of a concern. Problems arise when you make people a minority. They will always seek out differentiation, and subsequently you get smaller ghettos within communities. On the whole I think it gives more perspective to the nation as a whole. Brings in different views and different ways.

I really think it is that hard step, integration, that will be the cross road to achieving (cliche) world peace in the future.

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

is it working ? no it is not imo
    hey if you want to escape where ever your from for different reason thats fair enough, but dont dont bring old world rivialry's and issues to the new world thats the reason why you left.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    2014 VF SS Storm

I don't think it is working at the moment, and it's only going to get worse. Cultures tend to hold sets of beliefs, and sometimes these beliefs do not go hand in hand with mutual respect and peaceful coexistence.

You better take care of me Lord! If you don't, you're gonna have me on your hands!

Hunter S. Thompson

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that multiculturalism has failed (although several British and German politicians seem to think so, and I don’t think they should be ignored) but more so a failure of society. For example, I was sitting on the bus yesterday morning and I had the chance to look around and there were two distinct groups.
    1) International students (I’d guess eastern-ME and Asian) who’re working hard and paying huge uni fees (way more than what I’m paying).
    2) Bogans who obviously have been here in Australia for generations and exploiting our welfare system (which ironically is being funded by the international students who are paying huge amounts of money which becomes tax which then becomes a dole cheque...) Some even had the nerve to talk to each other about how they felt like a minority in their own country....etc
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    Varied

Yes, its an abstract failure and should be dropped as government policy. Heck, in NSW GovCo funded language classes to teach kids of migrants to learn to speak their parents native language, and thats a small example. Its divisive, and as adopted by all so called 'white' nation-states for the past 65 years or so since WW2, has its implementation purely to weaken and destroy kinship. Little social charity under such countries is noted. It appeals to the bolshie left and leftist hardliners, its their agenda.
    Last edited by Keepleft; 07-08-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

There is not a clear cut yes or no to this question.
    The suburbs which act like a mini country are off-putting to others as are those individuals who make no attempt to learn our language or participate in Australian society.
    On the other hand there are many intolerant individuals in Australian society who can't seem to live and let live.
    I personally come from a mixed background of mostly British ancestry but there is a family branch which is of a cultural and religious minority and I follow that religion myself.
    This places me slightly apart in that there are things I must or must not do however I participate as far as possible in society and many people I know have no idea that I belong to a religious minority unless the subject comes up when I cannot join in an activity or the like.
    All the same I and my family have been the targets of intolerant imbeciles who can't accept our right to our beliefs regardless of the fact that in all other respects we are no different in our appearance, ancestry or behavior to them.
    1979 Transit Mk2 Truck project thread here

Ride
    Varied

Quote Originally Posted by carnut1100 View Post
    There is not a clear cut yes or no to this question.
    The suburbs which act like a mini country are off-putting to others as are those individuals who make no attempt to learn our language or participate in Australian society.
    You don't understand multiculturalisim, it is designed to do exactly what you 'don't like'. There is no compusion or requirement to learn english, in fact, bolshie government even pays to have kids of migrants learn their parents language - so that it is not lost. Its part of the diversity, England is again experiencing some of that diversity now. The host country is told to 'celebrate' diversity as though it is supreme and all that your blood stock and kin were, is less.

On the other hand there are many intolerant individuals in Australian society who can't seem to live and let live.
    ?? Why should they? Their/our forbears developed from dirt up this once great country, sorry to say they were white, you know - those white devils who are the only 'racist' component of the human species, or capable of being so.

I personally come from a mixed background of mostly British ancestry but there is a family branch which is of a cultural and religious minority and I follow that religion myself.
    Won't pass comment of your faith, don't know what it is - so long as it doens't hurt kids or cause a reduction is speed-limits, I don't care:-)
    Last edited by Keepleft; 09-08-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Ride
    FG XR6

Quite simply show me where it has worked. ???????

Integration seemed to not only work for the Italians, Greeks Yugo's so forth, it truly enhanced our country.
    But their creed was the same or similar to ours.
    It's just common manners when you enter someones home to integrate. To respect their values and beliefs. To respect their home.
    Immigrating to someones country is no different to being invited into someones home.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    You don't understand multiculturalisim, it is designed to do exactly what you 'don't like'. There is no compusion or requirement to learn english, in fact, bolshie government even pays to have kids of migrants learn their parents language - so that it is not lost. Its part of the diversity, England is again experiencing some of that diversity now. The host country is told to 'celebrate' diversity as though it is supreme and all that your blood stock and kin were, is less.

?? Why should they? Their/our forbears developed from dirt up this once great country, sorry to say they were white, you know - those white devils who are the only 'racist' component of the human species, or capable of being so.

Won't pass comment of your faith, don't know what it is - so long as it doens't hurt kids or cause a reduction is speed-limits, I don't care:-)
    I think you both are agreeing here. Some foreigners(especially 3rd world countries) do form little ghettos and refuse to integrate (no incentive)and bring all their bad cultural practices here and then cry fowl when the long arm of the law catches them- and scream racism when others would take it like a man would. Its these moral weaklings(and those who defend them) I agree are contaminating societies core and they make out like they are bettering society...

Paul made a good commentary on how some non-European racial groups pride education and hard work as a key to sucess while
    some members of our white race continue to feel sorry for themselves and stuck on welfare without even trying to
    find work, even volunteer or grow a brain through education. They watch to much degenerate TV which gives pride
    to criminal behaviour and deviant sexual pecadilloes. If they would smash their TV and realise how they have been corrupted
    and stand up for their kind through good soldiering through adversity and hard work Australia can be a great country once more.
    Though Paul also does not realise these non-Euro groups are even more racist then we are and once they take all the positions
    of office in businesses and governments the local population will be their worthless servants and not their equals. Affirmative
    action does not exist in Eastern countries so why should it be in the West?

Like a White man in Africa or a Black Man in China they don't mess around for the way of life over there so why should we?
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 09-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

It's fine for migrants to retain some aspects of their culture and identity, but acting completely separately just annoys people.
    When I visit my friends who are from other countries there is unusual foods and beverages, interesting discussion about where they came from, objects on display in the house that you don't often see here, and an insight into another part of the world.
    However, they speak English to the best of their ability, mix with society in general, and participate.
    They try to be Australian without completely erasing all traces of their own personal history.
    That to me is a good thing.
    Enclave dwellers who won't be a part of Australian society are not in my opinion a good thing and they are their own worst enemies as their behaviour irritates most people and stirs up the less tolerant to stronger action.
    Being a bit different is ok, saying "stuff you all" is not.
    My two cents worth.
    1979 Transit Mk2 Truck project thread here

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by carnut1100 View Post
    It's fine for migrants to retain some aspects of their culture and identity, but acting completely separately just annoys people.
    When I visit my friends who are from other countries there is unusual foods and beverages, interesting discussion about where they came from, objects on display in the house that you don't often see here, and an insight into another part of the world.
    However, they speak English to the best of their ability, mix with society in general, and participate.
    They try to be Australian without completely erasing all traces of their own personal history.
    That to me is a good thing.
    Enclave dwellers who won't be a part of Australian society are not in my opinion a good thing and they are their own worst enemies as their behaviour irritates most people and stirs up the less tolerant to stronger action.
    Being a bit different is ok, saying "stuff you all" is not.
    My two cents worth.
    yep thats what integration is about. the 'stuff you alls and revolutionaries and 5th columners' are the ones I keep a eye on myself as well...they are so happy to live in Australia the people you mention- the lucky few and they keep their heritage as well is good but also realising they don't live back home anymore(and don't take orders from back home...) which is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfSHdKDQztY&NR=1
    To lighten the situation a little.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 12-08-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Multiculturalism can work as long the Government and do gooders STOP sucking up to the minority groups.
    It would also be good if every one stops trying to rewrite history to appease these groups...
    The Australian way of life and values should be preserved for every one!

If refugees and immigrants were fair dinkum they will fit in eventually as others have done in the past in this great nation of ours.
    Last edited by PD56; 09-08-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

yes intergration can work and has worked, multi hasent worked as multi is do gooders way
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    XR6 50TH Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsy View Post
    yes intergration can work and has worked, multi hasent worked as multi is do gooders way
    That is the word to integrate and became an asset to the country that many forbears have. Multiculturalism fails because it gives money to segregate people into not wanting to integrate into the Australian society but live off welfare.
    That also applies to those born here over generations that get paid to live on social welfare but are able and fit enough to work for a living but chose to rort the welfare system
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

Multiculture we had and love and is held up as an example to the world in NSW/VIC/SA was created by intergation.
    To reduce the real culture shock in their spare time they showed of the better bits of the culture they brought with them and need to hold on to.
    food,entertainment and festivals..with SCOTS/IRISH making up the majority of australians before the italian/greek arived we allowed the southern europeans other to join in with our tribal ways as long as the play fair.bring your own food and grog and show us your party but dont ***** about it.Us have adopted northern european and island culture for centuries being atacked by the southern culture that failed.

Scots/irish/viking/germanic/gaul has been a driving force in adopting aboriginal and imigrant culture having been a minority culture for centuries-what we have now is the new cultures want to lead without exceptance of the the old majority culture.they have no interest in offering advancments and only allow stagnation.

imigrants are forced to become mainstream and asimilate.not stand out.the australian way.
    call it multiculture to soften the blow and denny it when they realise, but get over it.

Multiculture we have today-is dont asimilate-be yourself with you failed cultural activity that brought you here.Dont add to social activity and go to university to justify excistance. When its obvious that your failed culture has no place here go into denial, complain and create a case to force your values on your neigbours.the police have better things to do.

UNIVERSITY STUDENTS.
    the reason we go to uni is to avoid the real word.so this doesnt count as culture.
    fee paying students-mate if i had my time over and that much skirt.

If refugees and immigrants were fair dinkum they will fit in eventually as others have done in the past in this great nation of ours.
    called intergration.if they had something to offer then the neighbours would adopt the culture activityaustralians adopted san fancisco food[chinese takeaway] meat pies/pasties beer..

drive around the USA and you get an education on what free for all can achieve.poor conditions poor heath.if they had knowledge of the out side world they also become migrate.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

I beg to differ though your viewpoint is interesting all the same.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 05-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Ride
    Falc

Congrats to FAF on having the courage to offer a political discussion page, and to the members for keeping it civil.

[edit: prefer to leave it at that]
    Last edited by Auyoot; 02-07-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Thats a fascinating insight. Proving that a petrolhead is not lacking his personal Phd...

I formed this political forum as I was fed up with mainstream media (and now slowly watching its decline) clouding over problems facing our lives and those big questions you wer'nt game to ask so you have proved a great point. No subjects were taboo even conspiracy theories were given the ok as long as you did not assume 'everybody' was in on it- and not you. Anyway you could always PM me if there was a potentially dicey subject you wanted to ask about.

As you've said at the same time our society is not without its problems as well as its shallowness in some cultural areas... Personally I believe in multiculturalism when it enriches society when it dilutes and fragments society that's when it fails. This forum is also read by many international viewers as well so we do have a bit of clout as well.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 01-07-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Ride
    Varied

Quote Originally Posted by ELSpeedo View Post
    Paul made a good commentary on how some non-European racial groups pride education and hard work as a key to sucess while
    some members of our white race continue to feel sorry for themselves and stuck on welfare without even trying to
    find work, even volunteer or grow a brain through education. They watch to much degenerate TV which gives pride
    to criminal behaviour and deviant sexual pecadilloes. If they would smash their TV and realise how they have been corrupted
    and stand up for their kind through good soldiering through adversity and hard work Australia can be a great country once more.
    The 'whites' in this world have been subject to decades of marxist/bolshie agenda. The dumbing-down, the promotion of mediocrity, affirmative action and PC - ALL in part to reduce cohesion, kinship, national resolve/heritage governance systems (as inherited along with 'rights'). Agreeing otherwise.

The policy needs to go in favour of treating folk as citizens with mutual responsibility.
    Last edited by Keepleft; 16-09-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    PURCHASE OFFICIAL FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European/UN standard hazard-warning triangle, designed to improve the 'initial-alert-warning' for approaching traffic at crash scenes (prevents secondary), and breakdowns. Stow in boot. NEW Dealer Retail $35.95. AS3790 accepted!

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

The 'whites' in this world have been subject to decades of marxist/bolshie agenda. The dumbing-down, the promotion of mediocrity, affirmative action and PC - ALL n part ot reduce cohesion, kinship, national resolve/heritage governance systems (as inherited along with 'rights'). Agreeing otherwise.

The policy needs to go in favour of treating folk as citizens with mutual responsibility.
    Agreed. The state and the citizen and the contract...interesting words you put up.

As for the racist aspect the racism depends if your a 'minority' in any country. As the majority
    whomever they are will call the shots most if not all of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377kKBi6anQ
    Cultural terrorism...brave man. I have my own spiritual beliefs and I don't mind people mocking them.
    Then I won't get angry or mad either because I know what extremism does.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226733848916
    Not keeping foreign affairs foreign.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 07-10-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    LTD 1971

The 'whites' in this world have been subject to decades of marxist/bolshie agenda. The dumbing-down, the promotion of mediocrity, affirmative action and PC - ALL in part to reduce cohesion, kinship, national resolve/heritage governance systems (as inherited along with 'rights'). Agreeing otherwise.

I think that from all the people I know, in different nations is that they let 3 world people come in the first place, as to do with jobs that others did not want to do and they were all happy with that.
    Now what happened was things got out of control.
    The left are on a path of trying to destroy capitalism and the extreme right only think about there money and exploiting every thing they can.
    I see the extreme right and left as moronic radicals, because they do not truly care about people, but only what they can get out of it all and that's why they have no interest in creating anything to do with true harmony, because they do not want the middle to rise up above them to see them for what they truly only are, only just varmint's and derelicts.

The far left and right are the trash that are guiding our nations now, playing the game of deluding all in every way they can and they are hard at work in doing so.
    They push there filth on the TV, radio to fool you into becoming just a derelict, just look at how they have pushed the perception of homosexuals as a admirable thing to look up to and then pushed a Political Correct Nazi view on any who dare point out anything at all on the subject as being undesirable, the subject it's all taboo ! Nazi's !

They push our children around in the class rooms with this derelict Political Correct madness just like the Nazi's did with there PC madness as that's where PC original came from, it was the indoctrination technique that the communist and Nazi's used only this way is done in a fabian way to get there miserable psychopathic way. that means to make you a fool for their intentions to lead you astray. they don't have your interest at heart at all, but only their own.

Why do you think there is the small print ? is that something for your good, do they have your interest at heart ?

Ride
    2009 G6E

I think that if you emigrate to another country then you must make a big effort to learn the language of that country and learn to speak the language fluently. All the old hatreds that you left behind must not be brought to the country you now live in.
    You must accept and obey the laws in the country you live in. You can't introduce your own laws simply because the laws in your new country aren't to your liking.
    Living with people who are only from your old country is a big mistake. You'll never be part of your new country if you don't make a concerted effort to get to know the people of the country you've decided to live in.
    You must never think that the government of that country is to look upon you as something special and that you are entitled to special treatment. You must expect the same treatment as anyone else.
    Retaining your culture in your new country is ok as long as you don't expect that the mainstream people in that country must give you whatever you want. Your culture from the old country will no doubt clash with the culture of your new country.
    What I find hard to understand is why would one move to another country where your culture is just so alien that you will be forever part of a minority. If you want to leave your old country wouldn't it be better to move to another country which has similar cultural values to your old country.
    Your children may grow up feeling split between two cultures. The culture of the country they were born into and the old culture from the country their parents came from and hang onto dearly.
    Today unfortunately this idea of multiculturalism has to a large extent failed. With many people from overseas countries with a culture that is so alien to ours being given special treatment by the government and the mainstream population being told that they can't speak there minds for fear of upsetting these people and creating tensions.
    But it's this policy of "don't say anything that may upset others" which is creating tension and making a mockery of so called "free speech".
    People coming from foreign countries and bringing all the old hatreds with them have no place in Australia. If their dress upsets the locals then they must modify their dress to fit in with what the locals regard as accepting. It would be the same if an Australian went to live the country that these people have come from. The Australian would have to learn the culture and values of that country and not try and impose Australian values and dress sense.
    Here in Australia if you ride a motorbike you wear a helmet. If you go into a bank under Australian law you must remove your helmet. If you are a female that wears a type of garment that covers you from head to toe and you walk into a bank then you must remove the garment that covers your head. It's the law here. It doesn't matter what your personnel feelings are you are not privileged you must obey that law the same as anyone else. It's the same if an Australian family moved to a foreign country where lying on the beach topless was against the law in that country. You have to obey the laws of the country you live in. No ifs or buts.
    "Friendship is like wetting your pants. Everyone can see it but you are the only one to feel it's warmth."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information