+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Third Generation and Liquid Phase Injection LPG sytems

Cobber

Default Third Generation and Liquid Phase Injection LPG sytems

Source: The Australian, Wednesday August 11, 2004

Last week in the Australian I read a short article about a developments in the use of LPG that will make it much more efficient. Instead of the LPG being fed into the air intake before the throttle body, it will be fed to injectors in much the same way as the typical injector setup for petrol.
    The Australian LPG Association is testing third-generation LPG systems that use sequential injection, similar to the electronic fuel injection used on petrol engines. This offers greater efficiency and more accurate fuel metering, maximising the fuel consumption and pollution advantage of LPG.
    However this system still converts LPG from liquid to gas before injecting it into the intake.

But Boral Australia is testing an injection system that squirts the fuel into the manifold in liquid form.
    This system has been called Liquid Phase Injection.
    Where most LPG conversions are down on power compared to petrol engines, motors using liquid phase injection systems generate up to 10 percent more power on LPG than on petrol. Fuel consumption also improves.
    This system obviously does away with the converter that converts the liquid LPG from the tank into the gas state. The conversion of any liquid to gas results in the absorbtion of heat. Therefore the result would be lower engine temperatures than a typical LPG setup.
    The cooling effect of the liquid fuel turning to gas in the manifold also helps engine reliability and life.
    I would expect that such a system, if it is implemented soon, could result in a resurgence in the number of LPG vehicles being bought or conversions taking place.
    Third-generation and liquid phase injection LPG systems are expected on the market as factory fitted or add-on systems within two years.
    However you're still going to have the issue of the gas tank.

I don't know whether it would make any difference or not, but the fact that Ford has a dedicated gas engine may mean that it would be a prime candidate for the new system.

stevo

Default Re: Third Generation and Liquid Phase Injection LPG sytems

I can't wait for direct LPG injection. My straight LPG 429ci F150 would thrive on it. The current converter/mixer set up can't really cut it at the moment.

Sluthy

More power on LPG than petrol? Cool. Now just lose the tax and watch the numbers roll.

Paul Stewart

Sounds really good. Although you the quote mentions that it could be released in kits. Wouldn't in require quite a bit of reworking of the engine? I suppose if it's fairly simple, it should be easier for Ford to put the system into the cars.

Anything to help the Falcons fuel ecconomy.

I'll be interested to hear how the HFV6 takes the LPG conversion. If you quickly skim over the price sheet for the VZ, they put a duel-fuel system down as a $220. Crikey that's not bad till you look what's inside the brackets, 2000+ HBD fitting. :hu

PeterPH

Source of quote
    Labor said the growing oil shock should prompt the Government to invest in technology to transform natural gas from Australia's abundant reserves into liquid transport fuel.
    Sorry to bring up a new thread, but I canít believe how stupid the current government is on this issue. I donít have any allegiances to the main political parties, usually a swinger depending on the policies. Why did labour need to suggest that? Wouldnít common sense say that it would be the way to go? What are the disadvantages of it? Itís locally manufactured : ) so we donít have to rely on other countries for supply or price and itís cleaner than anything else on the market. The only down-side has been the decrease in economy, but that looks like itíll be fixed with the new engine. Is there some political reason for ignoring natural gass??!!

AuZzie

yeah a local council in melbourne actually had a few test natural gas vehciles. appart from being a bit on the nose they seemed fine..... hmmm australia seels natural gas at 5c a littre to china.... cheap cheap cheap fuel... at that price it doesn't matter if we are burning 30littres to the hundred its still cheaper than petrol. even with the mass tax im sure we would see on it. Maybe they aren't doing it because they don't want to see australia on a fuel that is different from every other country because it could isolate our motor industry.

Paul Stewart

I was on the blower just then investigating fleet cars and to my surprise and disappointment, they said stay away from LPG Falcons. She said the resale is shocking and all the fleets are pulling out of them. Another bloke who was staying with us last night, who had a fleet Berlina, also said that the LPG Falcons were no-good resale wise.

How stupid is this? I mean, what are the negatives of LPG?
    Itís locally produced, so we donít have to rely on the middle east (and similar) for our supply. We can also control our own prices.
    Itís environmentally friendly and now with the improvements mentioned above, it should be more economical than petrol.
    And finally, the gas will be simply burnt off anyway so it mosewell be burn of for some use.

Why on earth doesnít the government push, promote and encourage the idea of natural gas powered cars??!!

xr virgin

The negatives of LPG?

1. The tax regime that is to be imposed on it progressively until it is around the 80 - 90c/L mark has killed the market
    2. It takes up a fair crack of boot space which may or may not be practical
    3. There is limited availability in remote regions
    4. It is a fair bit of extra weight to lug around 2 fuel tanks
    5. Did I mention the tax?

And as you stated Paul, the re-sale is crap, and that was even before the announced taxing. And fleets have cottoned onto the fact that they dont get the pay-back on the investment over a 3 year lease period so its not financially viable.

End point is lack of incentive from the government who are in the back pocket of the oil companies. Its an unfortunate thing, even more so when you realise it is an inexhaustable Australian resource that is wasted on a daily basis.....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information