+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lift kit???

Ride
    XLT Ranga

Default lift kit???

I got TJM to do a 2inch lift for me and Im not real happy as it looks like the rear has been lifted 4 inches and the front stayed standard.But as the front end is torsion bar they reckon they cant get too much lift out of them . So are there any suspension experts out there that might advise, my best bet to level the car as it looks pretty stupid .Dont think the pic really shows it.P4010036.jpgP4010037.jpgP4010038.jpg

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

Default Re: lift kit???

The problem with winding up the front end too much is actually the CV joints on the drive shafts, too much angle will wear them out quickly.
    2012 PX Wildtrak, Ford Territory TS AWD, 1974 HQ Ute and 1964 Fairlane 500

Ride
    XLT Ranga

Thanks for that Aqua but was wondering dose anyone make diff spacers to lift the diff ? Or better still who are the 4x4 suspension gurus in aus

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

Mate, there is only so much that can be done to the front end as you'd have to lower the dif to set reduce the half shaft angles and there's bound to be a cross member under the diff that will get in the way. There has been some images of a Ranger in Thailand that has had a 4 inch body lift, but i dounbt you could do that here due to the airbags and the need to get teh vehicle re-certified by an Engineer.

Have you been back to TJM to ask if there's anymore they can do to the front end? They'd know how close they are to the limit I reckon...

Cheers

Aquahead

Ride
    XLT Ranga

She looks better now , but scince changing the wheels very hard to get the wheel alingment right any info would be accepted 027.jpg

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

My Ford Service Advisor said to me that there's a factory shim kit available for wheel alignment. Most tyre places don't fit it which means scrubbing.

Ride
    06 Ford Courier t/ds

Nice looking truck can i ask what rims u fitted there smokin ? Steve

Ride
    XLT Ranga

Cheers for that. The rims are made by Allied and are 16 by 8 Thunda black running 265 cooper STTs.

Ride
    2010 Ranger XLT 4x4

Very nice mate, very nice. How did you go with your wheel alignment issue? Mines on the cards later this year to have some money spent on her and one thing was a lift as well as bull bar and wheels etc. I'm just a little concerned about future issues after giving her a lift especially with tyre wear if I can't get the alignment done right.

Ride
    XLT Ranga

Took some time and a few places to get it right but its spot on now. Just make sure the guy doing it knows what hes doing with shims and all should be good

Ride
    2010 Ranger XLT 4x4

Shall do and thanks for that. Parked beside a brand new one today.......tried not to cry

Ride
    XLT RANGER

has anyone seen a ranger with a genuine 5" lift,now available from superior engineering for 3,600 bucks,fit some 33"s under that sucker,love it,unfortunately in s.a 2"inches is all were allowed and thats alot of coin,still want it though.

Ride
    2010 Ranger XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER69 View Post
    has anyone seen a ranger with a genuine 5" lift,now available from superior engineering for 3,600 bucks,fit some 33"s under that sucker,love it,unfortunately in s.a 2"inches is all were allowed and thats alot of coin,still want it though.
    Their website shows a 6" lift kit for $3200 from BTV4x4.

Ride
    2010 Ranger XLT 4x4

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

Umm , I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but ; the factory ' builds in ' a thing called ' roll understeer ' .
    It is on the rear end and , it ensures that ( well , it tries to ) the rear does not ' step out ' or to use the colloquialism , get taily when cornering enthusiastically in the wet weather .
    The place to see this is at a round a bout , watch the ute or 4by in question carefully as it is driven thru at speed .
    Lets assume we are talking right hand drive vehicle and , the poky little r-a-b's as found in western suburbia ( less than 150 feet in diameter ) .

The 4by will have to turn left then right then left , in order to go ' straight thru ' the chicane nay r-a-b .
    lift kit makes these steer characteristics very easy to see as it grossly accentuates the body roll and its effects upon the vehicle .
    Cut a long story short , as the body rolls to the right the diff is skewed to the left ( yes the diff turns in relation to the body )
    This action will in most cases counteract the roll such that the ute will ( to the driver ) feel like it does not want to turn into the corner and in fact is running wide so much that if I do not wind in more steering I feel that it will run off the road !!!
    Classic roll understeer that !
    Guys ,
    Icould bang on about steer characteristics until you turn old and grey !
    I won't , though .
    I am a fan of re-arching the springs to get ground clearance !
    I am a fan of living to see what tomorrow brings !
    I am a fan of extending the rear spring hangers to get the ride height correct after SLIGHT re-arching of the springs .
    With the bad roll things banished , the rear end WILL step out when unloaded on slippery roads ; I carry a few cement bags worth of ballast and just enjoy driving .

The whole point is raise the car by all means , just do not become a victim of it , make sure that on a level road the height of the front spring pivot point is the same as on the rear and there will not be ( if you included the ballast when it is needed ) any nasty surprises .

At the front end , make sure there is enough bump stop clearance to cope with normal driving , when the suspension hits the stops , there is NO more that it can do to help you , At that point the tyre becomes the only available ' suspension ' ,and it is completely undamped .
    When the car or whatever is on its bump stops the tyre is the suspension and it very , very quickly becomes overloaded to the point that there is no more grip from it . Effectively , the car will have a ' mind of its own ' because only the tyre/s with the higher grip will keep the car on the road and going in the desired direction ..
    Cheers
    ark
    The process is always simple ,
    the Devil is in the Dynamics
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Ride
    2010 Ranger XLT 4x4

Thank god for ABS then huh

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger user View Post
    Umm , I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but ; the factory ' builds in ' a thing called ' roll understeer ' .
    It is on the rear end and , it ensures that ( well , it tries to ) the rear does not ' step out ' or to use the colloquialism , get taily when cornering enthusiastically in the wet weather .
    The place to see this is at a round a bout , watch the ute or 4by in question carefully as it is driven thru at speed .
    Lets assume we are talking right hand drive vehicle and , the poky little r-a-b's as found in western suburbia ( less than 150 feet in diameter ) .

The 4by will have to turn left then right then left , in order to go ' straight thru ' the chicane nay r-a-b .
    lift kit makes these steer characteristics very easy to see as it grossly accentuates the body roll and its effects upon the vehicle .
    Cut a long story short , as the body rolls to the right the diff is skewed to the left ( yes the diff turns in relation to the body )
    This action will in most cases counteract the roll such that the ute will ( to the driver ) feel like it does not want to turn into the corner and in fact is running wide so much that if I do not wind in more steering I feel that it will run off the road !!!
    Classic roll understeer that !
    Guys ,
    Icould bang on about steer characteristics until you turn old and grey !
    I won't , though .
    I am a fan of re-arching the springs to get ground clearance !
    I am a fan of living to see what tomorrow brings !
    I am a fan of extending the rear spring hangers to get the ride height correct after SLIGHT re-arching of the springs .
    With the bad roll things banished , the rear end WILL step out when unloaded on slippery roads ; I carry a few cement bags worth of ballast and just enjoy driving .

The whole point is raise the car by all means , just do not become a victim of it , make sure that on a level road the height of the front spring pivot point is the same as on the rear and there will not be ( if you included the ballast when it is needed ) any nasty surprises .

At the front end , make sure there is enough bump stop clearance to cope with normal driving , when the suspension hits the stops , there is NO more that it can do to help you , At that point the tyre becomes the only available ' suspension ' ,and it is completely undamped .
    When the car or whatever is on its bump stops the tyre is the suspension and it very , very quickly becomes overloaded to the point that there is no more grip from it . Effectively , the car will have a ' mind of its own ' because only the tyre/s with the higher grip will keep the car on the road and going in the desired direction ..
    Cheers
    ark
    Bigger tyres and more air, then phaph about wid the sprinks. DUH.

Ride
    XLT RANGER

Make a ranger comp truck for xtreme winch challenges,6 inch lift big maxxis big horn tyres,great laugh up QLD for a road trip.Redwight what is "wid the sprinks"

just lookin'
    Ride
    PX Super Cab XLT 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    Bigger tyres and more air, then phaph about wid the sprinks. DUH.
    In the old days , the old school guys thought that that was all there is to do . They would just accept that the poor driving characteristics , that
    came with those sort of mods , was what you get so you had to shut up and live with it .
    We can , however , have a reasonable compromise that makes the things not dangerous on road .
    Not a lot of work in doing it , just means that someone has to look carefully at the interplay between the various suspension components ,
    and make suitable changes .
    Last edited by Ranger user; 15-01-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    The process is always simple ,
    the Devil is in the Dynamics
    just ask Mr Kelvin...

Ride
    Ford Ranger PK XLT

@ Dozercam
    Hey mate just wondering whether those Allied Thunder rims fit straight on to the ute? I'm looking at getting some for mine

Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

Just had my lift done, Rockcrawler springs and torsions, Rancho 9000s all round.

Fairly happy, much better ride . . . got 40mm rear, 25mm front, wind torsions up any more and it's too close to top bump, and limited in upward suspension movement.
    I was after better ride and carry capacity on trips, got both.

1_before.JPG

2_after.JPG

rancho9000RH.jpg

As mentioned, up to 2" max recommended to prevent quick wear of CVs and drive line.

Want more room ?
    Body lift.

Ride
    XLT RANGER

[QUOTE=Les PK Ranger;404474]Just had my lift done, Rockcrawler springs and torsions, Rancho 9000s all round.

Looks good and welcome to the ford forums Les,i have the ranchos all round after starting off with EFS the front left shocker blue out and the rear right snaped off at the bottom weld,ranchos have so far survived all off the same treatment:-)I will say though the front end is a little more wishy washy no matter what setting they are on.Can i ask what roof rack have you got fitted and hows the ironman awning treat you?Cheers.

Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

Hello stranger : )

Thanks, very happy with the truck in most ways now.
    I didn't find the OE shocks too bad, but wanted to get something to match new springs / torsions etc.

WIth the 9000s, I found that the 5/5 (front / rear) that was set on install was about same as original shocks.
    I dropped it to 2/3 and it was a huge difference, way too soft.

Bumped them up to 6/7 now and pretty happy with that.
    Much better ride, cornering, handled huge rutted sand hills nicely, and road corrugations hardly noticible.

Did you fit these to std suspension ?
    Suspect you may have got a EFS lift ?
    If so did you get new torsions or just wind the origianls up a bit ?

Have heard you can get an inch ok from originals, but the ride is not too good.
    Better to go new torsions as well.

Just did Bushies with 4x4 Earth crew (42 cars, must have been 100 - 120 or so people) and it went excellent.
    If you've been there you'll know just what a test the sand hills there can be on suspension.

Some bent bits on trucks, a couple blew shocks, and had a couple of tyres rolled off rims.
    I went hard, just to test things out, happy now I can do Border Track (Easter) and other such trips in more comfort but won't push like that of course, got to get home.

Roof racks on the rear canopy are the Thule style ones by ARB, they have inside support bars to the tub sides, and the single cab one is Thule.
    All levelled up nicely for the canopy and future alloy rack.

You have to be very careful with continuation of both awnings and racks that span over both the cab roof and the canopy.
    The flex between the two is quite extreme off road and you can cause damage to awning / rack.

The idea is to make the fittings to the front rack a little loose and buffered with rubber so there's some room for movement there.

The Ironman awning is great.
    Just watch the way any of these are assembled, the back plate and the front plate ali where it clamps the awning material and bag between them.
    The rivets are along the bottom only and can give way, mine did, at least half off lucky I didn't lose it, and this was not caused when offroad, happened close to home.
    I think the rivets just get weak from too much downward twisting, possibly fatigued from several fairly thorough long weekend trips.
    See thread here . . . http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/cam...g-problem.html

As you'll see, I just put extra ones along the top half of the rail.
    After this weekend at Bushies, it's still there so should be ok now I hope : )

Ride
    XLT RANGER

thanks for all that info les,good to see another crow-eater around the place:-)Had a look at the link,great tip,it would seem so bloody obvious to you and i that having the rivets higher would take out the twist,something i will definitely be doing when the time comes,ironman gear seems to be good value as far as i have heard.

Yeah i had the whole efs kit put in still got the leafs and torsion bars in,i have the front ranchos on 8 rears on 7,wouldnt want to wind up the stockies myself
    bushies is at tintinara yes?i did the border track a while back its ok i guess used the chicken tracks around the bog holes,like you say have to get home.Cheers

Ride
    PK Ranger XL c/cab

The awning, yeah very obvious when the back half is swinging away from the mounts.
    Then the answer was clear, and why it let go with the lack of top support rivets.
    Easy fix / prevention though, so first thing I'd do when fitting up such an awning.

Yep, Bushies is just 3 or 4 ks south of Coonalpyn and another half hour east towards the back of Ngarkat.
    Great place, great bloke (Bushy), and will be going back there for sure with small group, that's for sure.

I first did the Border Track in mid Oct last year, and said to the missus that I wanted to do it again after the Ngarkat section reopens this April (Easter is perfect).
    We did it right down to just 15km north of Dukes Hwy, left the BT at -36.211723,140.966315, came out to bitumen at -36.212524,140.997714.

This included the part of the track marked on the map as "Very narrow section of track'.
    Yeah, it WAS.
    Some nice pinstriping on my truck with just 3500ks on the clock . . . ah well, that's what I bought it for.

It was very dry when we did it Oct, still went around most of the big rutted trenches, diffs would have hung up on most of them.
    Did get over all but the bigest dune hill, got the second track . . . was very soft, truck was bouncing all over the place !

This time we are heading east from Red Bluff and going through Big Desert region to Wyperfeld.
    Doing part of the Murrayville Track, Milmed Rock Track, various tracks across east and then north up to Snow Drift, then Gunners Track out to Underbool before the drive home Easter Monday.
    575km bitumen, 345km tracks.

Cheers, might catch you out on the track one day.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information