+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you tow with your Falcon?

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Default Do you tow with your Falcon?

One reason people say that the Falcon has to remain RWD is that itís good at towing. So Iím interested to hear (and this is directed at people driving modern Falcons), what do you actually tow and, roughly, how heavy would it be?
    The reason I ask is that I think a lot of people donít actually tow with their Falcon any more. And I think itíll be even less once the Territory TDCI arrives. As commercial utes (Hilux, Ranger, Navara...etc) have improved over the last few years, theyíre being seen as viable family cars and people are using their diesel motors to pull trailers/boats...etc
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    04 BA XT

Default Re: Do you tow with your Falcon?

Yes I tow. It's a 2004 BA sedan. If its with my box trailer it could be anything from furniture, rubbish or one of my motorcycles.

Now that we have a camper trailer I will be towing that as well.

So anything from 200kg up to 600-odd kg.

Any 'primary' car that I own will be used to tow, end of story.

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

I own a box trailer, and have had since I had the wagon and I have towed a car trailer with both the wagon and the ute. I'd rather not spell out how heavy because I am sure I have exceeded the legal limit at some time.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

i no longer tow my 3 ton trailer.

Ride
    Nitro FG XR6T

I tow a 1.1 Ton boat with the turbo. Before that My BA XR6T also towed the boat. They are great for towing.
    FG XR6T, Nitro, Safety & Tech Packs, Reverse Camera & Sensors, Tow Pack, Tint, Premium Sound..and it goes on and on

Ride
    Territory Ghia

I did, however I sold the boat.

The last Falcon I towed with was an AUIII VCT, then a Territory AWD.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

I know this is only for people with modern Falcons, so a 19 y.o fairlane doesn't count. However, in the coming years I do intend on building another race car and will be using a Falcon to tow that.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

PM me or Elements to join!

Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    1981 tf corty wagon

the only time the trailer gets unhooked from the falcon is when i use the land cruiser too tow instead - tho having said that i now have a f350 so dont need the trailer the f350 does have a tow bar tho

Ride
    FG Falcon XR50

Yeah ... have always had a trailer .. since having the XA
    You don't slow down as you get older ... you enjoy taking the time to do it better.

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

yes, i tow anything from racecars to gokarts and use all 260kw doing it too
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR6 ute

I tow two jetskis on a tandem trailer which is over about 1 ton with the ute and it is bloody great for it!

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

We used to tow with our Falcons, until we got the Territory. But towing is a major priority for us, as we have a ski boat, tinny, caravan and 2 trailers. We regularly have to tow both the caravan and boat long distances at the same time (I tow the caravan and wifey tows the boat), so it's essential that what ever we have can tow heavy loads. If the Falcon and Territory go east west engine, they have lost me as no matter what anyone says about "Oh but they'll still do an AWD", they just don't tow as well as a RWD or AWD based on an inline arrangement.
    2012 PX Wildtrak, Ford Territory TS AWD, 1974 HQ Ute and 1964 Fairlane 500

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Wow... more people tow with their Falcons than I thought!

What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

It's not really a huge amount (but in all fairness, this thread is still rather new.) My next question would be, could the same be towed by a FWD/AWD Falcon or Mondeo? Road Warrior said he pulled between 200 and 600kg, which isn't a whole lot and could easily be towed by something other than a RWD Falcon.
    What I'm getting at is that will complain that a FWD/AWD Falcon can't tow anything, but not many people get anywhere near the max towing capacity of their Falcons. And if they were towing something big, they'd be getting a Territory (and even more so now that there's a TDCI option.)

Cars:

MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Roadwarrior aside, most here tow their boats or other heavy items. Also in fairness, this is a small forum! A FWD Falcon certainly won't do in my books. AWD would be ok, but FWD certainly not. As for maximum towing capacity? I've exceeded it in my fairlane... slightly...

Ride
    Nitro FG XR6T

Quote Originally Posted by PaulST View Post
    It's not really a huge amount (but in all fairness, this thread is still rather new.) My next question would be, could the same be towed by a FWD/AWD Falcon or Mondeo? Road Warrior said he pulled between 200 and 600kg, which isn't a whole lot and could easily be towed by something other than a RWD Falcon.
    What I'm getting at is that will complain that a FWD/AWD Falcon can't tow anything, but not many people get anywhere near the max towing capacity of their Falcons. And if they were towing something big, they'd be getting a Territory (and even more so now that there's a TDCI option.)
    No for FWD for me. AWD I'm unsure. My boat trailer doesn't have brakes but I guess could be added. A lot of car company's quote towing limits with braked trailers which makes them look better.
    FG XR6T, Nitro, Safety & Tech Packs, Reverse Camera & Sensors, Tow Pack, Tint, Premium Sound..and it goes on and on

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

if i have to tow something heavyer then 2.3ton i use the old mans truck
    awd would be fine but fwd is a no
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Quote Originally Posted by jPod View Post
    Roadwarrior aside, most here tow their boats or other heavy items. Also in fairness, this is a small forum! A FWD Falcon certainly won't do in my books. AWD would be ok, but FWD certainly not. As for maximum towing capacity? I've exceeded it in my fairlane... slightly...
    But how many with Falcon sedans? As I said, most people who want to tow anything heavy are getting SUVs, and if they're Ford fans, they'll be getting a Territory TDCI as soon as they're on sale.

Cars:

MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

But how many with Falcon sedans? As I said, most people who want to tow anything heavy are getting SUVs, and if they're Ford fans, they'll be getting a Territory TDCI as soon as they're on sale.
    Read back. A fair few people do! There are a couple of utes in there too.

Transit Nutter
    Ride
    Transit/Falcon

I don't like the Territory and would not buy one. I'll take the better handling and ride of a Falcon thanks!
    And the better looks

I have towed with every Falcon I have had anything to do with.
    I bought the EF wagon especially for towing, although I haven't got it back on the road yet so haven't towed with it so far but I am getting a parts car shortly so it will live soon. If/when it goes it will get upgraded to a AU/BA wagon for towing.
    I towed with the XF, with the XE, with the XY. Towed a lot with varous Transits too...
    As for loading, I have an 8x5' trailer which gets loaded a lot and often. Dad's Volvo 740 is noticeably slower with it on...
    I also tow a 15' aluminium boat.
    I also tow on a regular basis car trailers, often heavy hired ones but hopefully soon I will have one of my own.
    Biggest load towed behind a Falcon, a big heavy hired car trailer with a Ford Transit on the back. That was behind the XF.
    Falcon goes FWD, it dies.
    AWD, maybe but I'd still be sad to see it go trasnverse engined. But FWD no way!
    And Territory still sucks, diesel or not!
    1979 Transit Mk2 Truck project thread here

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

People, people, if you're going to get an AWD Falcon so that you can tow, why need to complain about a FWD? Ford have already said that we'll get AWD so the FWD is perfect for people using the car simply as transport from A to B. If you want to tow, you can pay extra and get the AWD...
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut1100 View Post
    I don't like the Territory and would not buy one. I'll take the better handling and ride of a Falcon thanks!
    And the better looks

I have towed with every Falcon I have had anything to do with.
    I bought the EF wagon especially for towing, although I haven't got it back on the road yet so haven't towed with it so far but I am getting a parts car shortly so it will live soon. If/when it goes it will get upgraded to a AU/BA wagon for towing.
    I towed with the XF, with the XE, with the XY. Towed a lot with varous Transits too...
    As for loading, I have an 8x5' trailer which gets loaded a lot and often. Dad's Volvo 740 is noticeably slower with it on...
    I also tow a 15' aluminium boat.
    I also tow on a regular basis car trailers, often heavy hired ones but hopefully soon I will have one of my own.
    Biggest load towed behind a Falcon, a big heavy hired car trailer with a Ford Transit on the back. That was behind the XF.
    Falcon goes FWD, it dies.
    AWD, maybe but I'd still be sad to see it go trasnverse engined. But FWD no way!
    And Territory still sucks, diesel or not!
    Well are you going to buy a new RWD Falcon to tow? If not, then it’ll really mean nothing to Ford.
    As Perun said in another thread, people seem to view Ford as their personal concierge who are meant to design a car for their personal needs, yet not actually give Ford in return. We are a capitalist society and if you want something, you have to pay for it. If you can’t afford something, you simply can’t get it (unless you say you’re a communist and then just steal it...but that’s off topic...)

Cars:

MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    '07 BF2 XT

I'd be interested to know how many people pay the couple of thousand for the genuine heavy duty tow kits compared to those who might only spend a couple of hundred on just an aftermarket hitch.

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

People, people, if you're going to get an AWD Falcon so that you can tow, why need to complain about a FWD? Ford have already said that we'll get AWD so the FWD is perfect for people using the car simply as transport from A to B. If you want to tow, you can pay extra and get the AWD...

Well are you going to buy a new RWD Falcon to tow? If not, then it’ll really mean nothing to Ford.
    As Perun said in another thread, people seem to view Ford as their personal concierge who are meant to design a car for their personal needs, yet not actually give Ford in return. We are a capitalist society and if you want something, you have to pay for it. If you can’t afford something, you simply can’t get it (unless you say you’re a communist and then just steal it...but that’s off topic...)
    I will admit that I am very unlikely to buy brand new, ever. When the ute cost 2\3rd's of the new price at three years of age why would I? And now that it is nearly ten years old it's value is also very questionable because you cannot get a loan for a ten year old car.
    Communism=theft? please, I have often been undervalued at work......

Ride
    04 BA XT

Quote Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
    I'd be interested to know how many people pay the couple of thousand for the genuine heavy duty tow kits compared to those who might only spend a couple of hundred on just an aftermarket hitch.
    That would be me, at the time an aftermarket 1600kg hitch setup was all I was prepared to pay and based on what I tow, it was all I really needed.

I guess with the 'lighter' weight I tow compared to others I could make do with a FWD, but I really do not fancy the whole "bum dragger" look of a FWD car loaded up with a trailer and I prefer the better vehicle stability and control that is inherent with a RWD car as it does not have its power wheels and steering wheels at one end of the vehicle.

Also I forgot, a trailer load of sand has put me up to (and over) the tonne mark so I've done more than 600kg

not regularly though.

Ride
    G6E EcoLPI

I have been fortunate to have a 'usuer chooser' car via salary sacrifice for a fair while now. The odd one out in this list is the only car not ordered with the 1600kg factory tow bar.
    EA 'S', TN Magna (yuck), ED Futura, EL Futura, AUII XR6, SX Territory and (current) G6. All of them regularly had the 6x4 hanging on and the last three got to play with a Jayco camper trailer.
    The G6 gets replaced in October. The replacement WILL have a factory towing hitch and it will be used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information