+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BF XR6 Headlight Troubles (possibly multi-switch?)

Ride
    BF Falcon XR6

Default BF XR6 Headlight Troubles (possibly multi-switch?)

Hey guys, I have a '05 BF XR6 that I bought a few months ago and it is fantastic, I absolutely love it (from a long time Holden driver :P ).
    However last week I got a problem with the headlights, the switch doesn't seem to work anymore, I can select 'Auto' and they come on fine as normal or I can select 'Off' and they go off from auto, but both 'park lights' and 'head lights' don't work.
    So I rang up my local Ford service center and told them my problem and it's booked in for analysis on Wednesday, and he said over the phone it sounds like the multi-switch (which sounds about right to me) but when I asked for an approximate price for the repair he quoted me around $400-$450 which seems to be incredibly high.
    Just wondering is anyone has any thought on what the problem might be and/or what kind of price I should reasonably expect to pay for the job.
    Thanks in advance
    James

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Smile Re: BF XR6 Headlight Troubles (possibly multi-switch?)

Hi man,

I have found a fantastic guide on how to replace this multiswitch if your a hands on type of guy.

The mans name is paulie0735 does a great write up and pics.
    http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11268443

And some more excellent info here by a guy named dijital:
    http://ww.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11299002

The wires in the indicator stalk (combo stalk) break and need to be re-connected. Happy reading.

Good luck.

Ride
    BF Falcon XR6

Default Re: BF XR6 Headlight Troubles (possibly multi-switch?)

Thanks man that halped heaps I removed the back cover on the stalk and found out the yellow wire is broken. I am actually just on the way out the door now and taking the car to Ford on the way in to work otherwise I'd have a go of it myself, but I'll let them know to fix the wire instead of replacing the part, from those links it sounds like it really is an overpriced and poorly designed part.
    Thanks again mate
    James

edit: Ford fixed the part for me at $175 (an hours work) but it has already broken and they won't do anything about it so I'm going to have a go of it tomorrow (Saturday).
    Last edited by Jimmy35; 11-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy35 View Post
    Thanks man that halped heaps I removed the back cover on the stalk and found out the yellow wire is broken. I am actually just on the way out the door now and taking the car to Ford on the way in to work otherwise I'd have a go of it myself, but I'll let them know to fix the wire instead of replacing the part, from those links it sounds like it really is an overpriced and poorly designed part.
    Thanks again mate
    James

edit: Ford fixed the part for me at $175 (an hours work) but it has already broken and they won't do anything about it so I'm going to have a go of it tomorrow (Saturday).
    Hello, I just noticed your update.

I was wondering if the wire that Ford fixed actually made your headlights and parklights work at all?

If they did for a brief moment then the wire probably needs to be extended so when you indicate it doesnt stretch those wires.

If they fixed the wire, and you still didnt get headlights and parklights to work then it could be something else, like the combo switch in the first link I posted above.
    Last edited by baboon; 27-02-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Ride
    BF Falcon XR6

Yeah, what Ford fixed (the yellow wire, did fix the job, but it was broken again by the time I drove home, they did a really crap job of soldering the wire back together.)
    I took the back panel off the indicator stalk and did it myself in about 15 minutes (mostly time waiting for my soldering iron to warm up) and it is still going strong now, no issues.
    If it does happen again, I'll try to get the wheel out and re-wire the unit like in the above post, but for the moment it seems to be working alright.

Ride
    BF Falcon XR6

Yeah, what Ford fixed (the yellow wire, did fix the job, but it was broken again by the time I drove home, they did a really crap job of soldering the wire back together.)
    I took the back panel off the indicator stalk and did it myself in about 15 minutes (mostly time waiting for my soldering iron to warm up) and it is still going strong now, no issues.
    If it does happen again, I'll try to get the wheel out and re-wire the unit like in the above post, but for the moment it seems to be working alright.

Ride
    BA XR6T JTG LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy35 View Post
    Pity about the labour charge. Good on ya for fixing it up!

Ride
    BF Ute

DSC_0049.jpg
    The problem is usually broken wire in the indicator stalk... if you have fingers like spaghetti you may be able get at it without removing the combination swith.
    If the cover is removed which is on the rear of the stalk the wires will have more room to move and will be unlikely to break again.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information