+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to remove an au headlight?

Ride
    AUII one tonner

Default how to remove an au headlight?

I've removed 3 10mm bolts but can't remove the head light! are there more bolts or clips? the light moves but i can't get it free!

please help
    Mort

Ride
    Au falcon

Default Re: how to remove an au headlight?

Im assuming you have removed the 2 on top of the headlight and the one in the engine bay. Now you have to take the grill out by removing the plastic screw things on top and then there is a metal spring clip that goes into the headlight plastic surround push down on it and then pull out on each side. Once your grill is out there is a bastard of a bolt going into i think the radiator support panel . should be under your high beam reflector

Ride
    AUII one tonner

Thanks for the reply mate , I found the 4th bastard bolt about an hour after my first post jobs done!

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

I had to repair an AU headlight years ago and I remember you had to remove the plastic bumper to get it out correctly.... not a hard job.

Ride
    AUII one tonner

I got this one out without removing the bumper...just rolled it out once I removed the forth(bastard) bolt.

Ride
    1999 au falcon sedan

Have you had this problem "my671fordv8",my drivers side headlight glass has gone cloudy i think somehow dirt has got inside the sealed unit i will have to take it out and try to clean the inside,has anyone done this without removing the light?

Ride
    Au falcon

Quote Originally Posted by briggo View Post
    Have you had this problem "my671fordv8",my drivers side headlight glass has gone cloudy i think somehow dirt has got inside the sealed unit i will have to take it out and try to clean the inside,has anyone done this without removing the light?
    If its just the usual haze that you see when peoples headlights turn to crap then yes you can fix it without removing the headlight as it is just a build up of crap on the outside of the lens.First of all try meguires plastic polish with a polishing attatchment to a drill on low speed . If that works a bit but there is too much crap on the lens wet sand with 400 ,800,1200,and 2000 grit and then use the polish . if that works and you want a perfectly clear lens again follow the instructions on this web page
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lant-idea.html
    if the above ideas dont fix the problem then you most likely will have to remove it to clean inside the lens. Most times the only thing you get inside your lens is water. Let me know how you go .

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by briggo View Post
    Have fun, no hope of cleaning inside of headlight as it is glued together, you might have to purchase another one.

Ride
    1999 au falcon sedan

Thanks i will give it a try

Experienced Member
    Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia, EF

The headlight is not a sealed unit and my AU started to get junk in the inside of the lens.
    When I investigated the rubber boot was missing from the effected light, I don't know how or why it went missing. Anyway when driving in the rain water and road grime was entering the light.
    I went to the local wreckers and got a replacement boot and once fitted, stopped the rubbish entering the light.

Ride
    1999 au falcon sedan

Quote Originally Posted by my671fordv8 View Post
    If its just the usual haze that you see when peoples headlights turn to crap then yes you can fix it without removing the headlight as it is just a build up of crap on the outside of the lens.First of all try meguires plastic polish with a polishing attatchment to a drill on low speed . If that works a bit but there is too much crap on the lens wet sand with 400 ,800,1200,and 2000 grit and then use the polish . if that works and you want a perfectly clear lens again follow the instructions on this web page
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...lant-idea.html
    if the above ideas dont fix the problem then you most likely will have to remove it to clean inside the lens. Most times the only thing you get inside your lens is water. Let me know how you go .
    Thanks very much for your help i used turtal wax cutting compound with a sheep skin buff on a drill and it worked a treat,although not brand new it is 90% better than it was.
    Jeeeeeze what a mongeral of a thing to change a headlight bulb on when the light is in the car i dont think the person that designed the car thought about changing light bulbs.
    Now i have another problem,the right hand light bulb will only work when on high beam when i switch to low beam only the left light worked.I bought a new bulb but it still doesnt work,i tested the bulb and it it working alright,check the wiring for loose conections and fuses but cant get it to work,do you have any sugestions on this problem?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information