+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Ride
    fiesta
    Posts
    4

    Default Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Ladies and gentlemen,

    I have recently joined this site and its great to see people willingly sharing experiences and hard to come by knowledge. In these days and ages I believe people voluntarily helping each other out is a dying art (so to speak).

    I would value anyones input into the suitability of an FG XR6 towing a boat, no so much in the engine/transmission/engineering area (very able) but more in regards to the ride height as the XR6 sits lower to the road than the base model FG (so I'm led to believe).

    I have my heart set on picking up an XR6 early in the new year (most likely a 2009 model) and this is the only reservation I have on the car - the ride factor when towing. Most of the time the XR6 will be used for normal day to day family driving with only the odd weekend where the boat will towed so I don't want a 4 x 4 etc as I will be towing only about 5-10% of the time.

    The boat I have weighs approx 1300kg but I'm not certain of the ball weight but will assume its in the 10% range of the total weight as it was set up by a boat dealer.

    Any feedback would be appreciated, especially anyone that tows with an XR6 and their towing set up.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Ride
    FG XR6
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Hi mate,

    I have a 2009 XR6 and use it to tow my boat rated at 2100kg I have had no problem in unloading or loading my boat at any of the ramps I have used in metro Perth.

    I opted for the heavy duty tow pack due to the smaller set up only being rated at 1600kg but with the bigget set up you can tow upto 3000kg !!

    Cheers

    Mike

  3. #3
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Donger View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen,

    I have recently joined this site and its great to see people willingly sharing experiences and hard to come by knowledge. In these days and ages I believe people voluntarily helping each other out is a dying art (so to speak).

    I would value anyones input into the suitability of an FG XR6 towing a boat, no so much in the engine/transmission/engineering area (very able) but more in regards to the ride height as the XR6 sits lower to the road than the base model FG (so I'm led to believe).

    I have my heart set on picking up an XR6 early in the new year (most likely a 2009 model) and this is the only reservation I have on the car - the ride factor when towing. Most of the time the XR6 will be used for normal day to day family driving with only the odd weekend where the boat will towed so I don't want a 4 x 4 etc as I will be towing only about 5-10% of the time.

    The boat I have weighs approx 1300kg but I'm not certain of the ball weight but will assume its in the 10% range of the total weight as it was set up by a boat dealer.

    Any feedback would be appreciated, especially anyone that tows with an XR6 and their towing set up.

    Thanks in advance.
    The XR6 will tow ok but one thing to remember the ride will be a bit harder as you have a sports suspension compared to a soft standard suspension, other than that check your rego lable as to what your GVM states to what legal capacity you can tow and of course your ball weight of trailer/Van will determine which towbar you use.

    Oh one other thing to remember is read your hand book if you have a manual gearbox as you will be surprised as to what the clutch is rated for when towing.
    Last edited by PD56; 30-12-2010 at 02:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Ride
    fiesta
    Posts
    4

    Smile Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Thanks for the replies gents, much appreciated. Will be after an auto and will get the heavy duty tow pack.



  5. #5
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    One word: Easily!
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    mate, I have heaps of concerns around this Donger'. I have a 20ft Bayliner Discovery - about 1700KG's. Once I have this weight on the back, the ass sits way too low!!! practically bottoms it's rear constantly. I am running a heavy duty HR hitch and load leveling system but it's makes bugger all difference. The load leveling kit will only maintain ride height across the chassis, it won't actually lift your bum. It brings your front in line with your rear pitch height.

    Engine/transmission are fine for the job, turbo is always kicking in - but you can live with that!

    I've looked at heaps of options to fix the ride height issue, from poly air bags in the springs to adding a leaf to the spring, air bags being the best option.

    Tyres, 19's are crap for towing .. make sure they are at 44psi back and 40 for the front.

    I cringe when ever I tow the boat! it's sacrificial to do it -) that's my two cents.

  7. #7
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by lUkEsTuRbO View Post
    mate, I have heaps of concerns around this Donger'. I have a 20ft Bayliner Discovery - about 1700KG's. Once I have this weight on the back, the ass sits way too low!!! practically bottoms it's rear constantly. I am running a heavy duty HR hitch and load leveling system but it's makes bugger all difference. The load leveling kit will only maintain ride height across the chassis, it won't actually lift your bum. It brings your front in line with your rear pitch height.

    Engine/transmission are fine for the job, turbo is always kicking in - but you can live with that!

    I've looked at heaps of options to fix the ride height issue, from poly air bags in the springs to adding a leaf to the spring, air bags being the best option.

    Tyres, 19's are crap for towing .. make sure they are at 44psi back and 40 for the front.

    I cringe when ever I tow the boat! it's sacrificial to do it -) that's my two cents.
    I fully understand your concern when towing as the FG's have the power to pull but when it comes to the XR's it is another ball game since you have a sports suspension it is not the ideal set up for pulling heavy loads, only suitable for light to medium loads.... Also wheels with higher profile tyres are better for towing.
    I tow a caravan Tare 750Kg with GVM of 1300Kg's in which the caravan is well ballanced and about 7% weight on tow ball and the ute handle this ok but I do feel the bumps and knocks of the road due to suspension and 17" wheels.... Some times I wish I had a softer suspension for towing.

    In your case your trailer must throw a lot of weight up on the ball which is not good at all.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by jPod View Post
    One word: Easily!
    It is really not easy, you must do your home work. Pulling power is one thing Handling is another.

  9. #9
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    It is really not easy, you must do your home work. Pulling power is one thing Handling is another.
    I was talking about the car being able to tow a 1300Kg boat. That, it can do easily. As far as the driver goes, its not much different from towing a large, loaded trailer, only the boat would be a bit longer. I have had 2300Kg hitched onto the back of an XR6 and it towed it with ease.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

  10. #10
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    It is really not easy, you must do your home work. Pulling power is one thing Handling is another.
    I was talking about the car being able to tow a 1300Kg boat. That, it can do easily. As far as the driver goes, its not much different from towing a large, loaded trailer, only the boat would be a bit longer. I have had 2300Kg hitched onto the back of an XR6 and it towed it with ease.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

  11. #11
    "AVGhia" baxr6t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Ride
    Nitro FG XR6T
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by jPod View Post
    I was talking about the car being able to tow a 1300Kg boat. That, it can do easily. As far as the driver goes, its not much different from towing a large, loaded trailer, only the boat would be a bit longer. I have had 2300Kg hitched onto the back of an XR6 and it towed it with ease.
    I also have a 1300Kg boat and tow it with ease. You don't have to go to the Heavy Duty tow pack unless you will be towing anything over 1600Kg. I have the standard tow pack and it's fine for towing.
    FG XR6T, Nitro, Safety & Tech Packs, Reverse Camera & Sensors, Tow Pack, Tint, Premium Sound..and it goes on and on

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Ride
    fiesta
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Well I ended up buying an FG XR6 and had a heavy duty tow bar installed as part of the deal. When I got her home I put the boat on and it did sag in the rear to some degree as expected. It does sit a little low in the rear for my liking but on a test drive it never bottomed out but no one was sitting in the back either which may make a difference. Pulled it with ease as well which is what I also expected. I ended up weighing the tow ball weight of the boat/trailer which came in at around 130kg. The placard in the glovebox states that tow ball weight should not exceed 160kg but it also states the maximum towing capacity is 1600kg when it is 2300kg! And it is an auto so I can't work that one out! I will move the axle on the trailer forward a little to relieve some of that towball weight (its at about 10% so will try to get it down to 7% as Officemanager has his set) bearing in mind trailer sway and rear tyre traction on a boat ramp with less weight on the towball. If no joy then it sounds like the polyair bags might be the best option for me as per Lukesturbo reply. Thanks for all the replies. Love the car.

  13. #13
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Donger View Post
    Well I ended up buying an FG XR6 and had a heavy duty tow bar installed as part of the deal. When I got her home I put the boat on and it did sag in the rear to some degree as expected. It does sit a little low in the rear for my liking but on a test drive it never bottomed out but no one was sitting in the back either which may make a difference. Pulled it with ease as well which is what I also expected. I ended up weighing the tow ball weight of the boat/trailer which came in at around 130kg. The placard in the glovebox states that tow ball weight should not exceed 160kg but it also states the maximum towing capacity is 1600kg when it is 2300kg! And it is an auto so I can't work that one out! I will move the axle on the trailer forward a little to relieve some of that towball weight (its at about 10% so will try to get it down to 7% as Officemanager has his set) bearing in mind trailer sway and rear tyre traction on a boat ramp with less weight on the towball. If no joy then it sounds like the polyair bags might be the best option for me as per Lukesturbo reply. Thanks for all the replies. Love the car.
    The XR6 states that the maximum is 1600Kg because of the ride height. This is just Ford covering their rear ends just in case. The car is capable of towing 2300Kg if you put it on there, but I would be very careful about the ball load on an XR6 because of the ride height. However, from a powertrain point of view, 2300Kg is fine for that car.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Ride
    fiesta
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Thanks for clarifying jPod. Eventhough I am under the maximum of 160kg ball load I will still make some trailer adjustments and probably install some coil spring air bags for a better sit and ride.

  15. #15
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by jPod View Post
    The XR6 states that the maximum is 1600Kg because of the ride height. This is just Ford covering their rear ends just in case. The car is capable of towing 2300Kg if you put it on there, but I would be very careful about the ball load on an XR6 because of the ride height. However, from a powertrain point of view, 2300Kg is fine for that car.
    Jpod, the xr6 is rated to tow 2300 Kg if fitted with heavy duty tow bar and automatic tranny regardless of ride height.... Read the specs of the FG ute XR6 owners manual.

    Donger be careful if you move the axle position on your trailer as you may upset the balance for towing which could make it worse for you.
    You are legally allowed up to 230 KG ball weight with heavy duty tow bar so your 130 KG ball weight is not too bad
    Last edited by PD56; 09-01-2011 at 10:03 PM.

  16. #16
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    Jpod, the xr6 is rated to tow 2300 Kg if fitted with heavy duty tow bar and automatic tranny regardless of ride height.... Read the specs of the FG ute XR6 owners manual.

    Donger be careful if you move the axle position on your trailer as you may upset the balance for towing which could make it worse for you.
    You are legally allowed up to 230 KG ball weight with heavy duty tow bar so your 130 KG ball weight is not too bad
    Really? From memory, the XR's were down graded due to ride height concerns... All Falcons (all cars actually) have a restriction depending on the tow bar fitted. If your tow bar isn't rated for 2.3 tonne, don't tow 2.3 tonne (like I have on numerous occasions with my old fairlane... I need a new tow bar!!!)
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Great stuff Donger, another thing to keep in mind - when launching make sure you don't have the exhaust tip at the water level! pick your tides -) That arse sits just too low on most ramps! My FG is in having 30K service today, I'm missing her ... how sad LOLOL

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Ride
    FG XR6
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Does anyone know why Ford forbids the use of a weight distribution device to be used in conjunction with their 1600 kg towbar (see owners manual)? I can't get a sensible answer from Ford on this. In fact they seem completely oblivious to the fact that family sedans towing near the maximum allowed weight benefit from these devices. I was also told that aftermarket air shocks (very useful if towing), will void the warranty on both front and rear suspension as well as the differential.

  19. #19
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by NewXR6 View Post
    Does anyone know why Ford forbids the use of a weight distribution device to be used in conjunction with their 1600 kg towbar (see owners manual)? I can't get a sensible answer from Ford on this. In fact they seem completely oblivious to the fact that family sedans towing near the maximum allowed weight benefit from these devices. I was also told that aftermarket air shocks (very useful if towing), will void the warranty on both front and rear suspension as well as the differential.
    Interesting you bought this one up as I overlooked that part but will enquire about it.
    Ford are a pack of mongrels as I wanted to fit a transmission cooler by a reputable transmission specialist company and guess what " You will void your warranty"
    Think they got their brains in their ASSES; Common sense they have not.

  20. #20
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by NewXR6 View Post
    Does anyone know why Ford forbids the use of a weight distribution device to be used in conjunction with their 1600 kg towbar (see owners manual)? I can't get a sensible answer from Ford on this. In fact they seem completely oblivious to the fact that family sedans towing near the maximum allowed weight benefit from these devices. I was also told that aftermarket air shocks (very useful if towing), will void the warranty on both front and rear suspension as well as the differential.
    Spoke to a local tow bar dealer and was told the 1600Kg towbar has a bolt on tounge where the heavy duty one does not, using load levelling kits/weight distribution hitches can exceed the weight tolerence of the 1600kg tow bars plus bolt on tounges are not recommended for these uses.
    Tow bar hitches are recommended.

    Its Ford way of covering themselves in the event of a mishap.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Ride
    FG XR6
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    Spoke to a local tow bar dealer and was told the 1600Kg towbar has a bolt on tounge where the heavy duty one does not, using load levelling kits/weight distribution hitches can exceed the weight tolerence of the 1600kg tow bars plus bolt on tounges are not recommended for these uses.
    Tow bar hitches are recommended.

    Its Ford way of covering themselves in the event of a mishap.
    Thanks for that. A pity no-one mentioned that when I was buying the car. I specifically mentioned I would be using a weight distribution hitch. Though I doubt the there would be a problem given that I only have 117 kg on the towball, ie there is still 400kg leeway for contribution from the weight distribution device.

  22. #22
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Yes I was quite surprised myself and if I had known I would have opted for the heavy duty tow bar.
    Lucky I tow a smalll light caravan at the moment but I might have to reconsider fitting a heavy duty tow bar if I up grade to a bigger van.

    I will do a further enquiry on this matter as previous cars with tow bars the tongues were bolted and I use to use weight hitches so I'm going to have a talk with a few other tow bar companies to get a few more opinions as I was not happy with the answer I got.

  23. #23
    Forum Veteran PD56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Victoria
    Ride
    PX XLT Ranger
    Posts
    3,133

    Default Re: Towing a boat with an FG XR6

    Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    Spoke to a local tow bar dealer and was told the 1600Kg towbar has a bolt on tounge where the heavy duty one does not, using load levelling kits/weight distribution hitches can exceed the weight tolerence of the 1600kg tow bars plus bolt on tounges are not recommended for these uses.
    Tow bar hitches are recommended.

    Its Ford way of covering themselves in the event of a mishap.
    Update on towbar ..... Ford and other tow bar companies have confirmed the 1.6 tone tow bar toungs are no go for load levelling kits/weight distribution hitches due to reason toung bolted to towbar.
    Heavy duty towbar must be used

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts