+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ford courier diesel 2.5litre turbo cracked head

Ride
    ford courier diesel

Cool ford courier diesel 2.5litre turbo cracked head

ford courier diesel 2..5 litreturbo cracked head and blown head gasket 2 months ago..done a head last month m...anybody had similar or heard of tproblems with this model ?? if not do you have one and have you had a good run..appreciate feedback
    also radiator runs very hot hoses on top..but only lukewarm down below...is this normal// ??also the rocket cover runs very hot..too hot to touch..even the bonnet gets very hot...is this normal with turbo charged diesels ???

tom mack

Ride
    1999 Courier 4x4 TD

Default Re: ford courier diesel 2.5litre turbo cracked head

The head in my 2.5L TD went at about 220,000km, I am told this is very common and you could almost set your watch to it. I am now on a re-conditioned head with no issues at all.

As for the radiator issues, I had my radiator replaced at roughly the same time as the head, and yes, there is a nice temperatire difference between the inlet and outlet hoses. I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as you've got the right level of collant and the temperature guage is playing fairly you should be right.

I have another friend running a courier with this engine and he has been running it on Jet-A1 with a bit of two-stroke oil in the mix. Although it shows the engine is a tad tougher than we think, I still couldn't recommend it. :P

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    AUII-BFII gas wagon

heard of a few with engine drama.
    these have been at 100K range.

I have wondered if the engine thermostat or visco fan was working.
    top hose should be too hot to hold when engine warmed up.70-90c+.

cracking was a common problem with older mitubishi pajero turbo D.
    an engineer showed me wild air temp readings and temp cracks starting from the intake ports.
    driving up a hill the air heated up and on downhill the intercooled froze the air.instant fatigue

Ride
    ford courier diesel

Cool Re: ford courier diesel 2.5litre turbo cracked head

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellw View Post
    The head in my 2.5L TD went at about 220,000km, I am told this is very common and you could almost set your watch to it. I am now on a re-conditioned head with no issues at all.

As for the radiator issues, I had my radiator replaced at roughly the same time as the head, and yes, there is a nice temperatire difference between the inlet and outlet hoses. I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as you've got the right level of collant and the temperature guage is playing fairly you should be right.

I have another friend running a courier with this engine and he has been running it on Jet-A1 with a bit of two-stroke oil in the mix. Although it shows the engine is a tad tougher than we think, I still couldn't recommend it. :P

FORD COURIER DIESEL REPLY
    ..THANKS FOR REPLYING..I only bought the ford courier 2.5 litre diesel turbo 2005 ute about 4 months ago..ex telstra ..with canopy on the back , you have probably seen them getting around..although telstra are now using the rangers...maybe because of courier problems ?? do ford make a current courier or have they changed name to ranger ??? anyway..when i bought the ute it boiled on the day i bought it..as coolant was low..from then on it started using coolant inexplicably..couldn't trace where it went..got a radiator pressure test..which forces water into the head..proving there was a gasket leak...we then put new head gasket on ..got head machined..and was all hunky dory for another 5 weeks..when i was driving uphill to my home and bang...whoosh..a banging sound under the bonnet and a major whoosh of steam...the top water hose had popped off the engine block...from the massive heat...the mechanic told me the banging sound was the head cracking..anyway long story short the next morning the motor would't even turn over as water inside the block was stopping piston from moving..we sourced a new head from qld for just under $1000..i put a new radiator, water pump and thermostat i as well (just in case)...it is weird how the radiator hoses up top get so hot and not down bottom..different to other vehicles i have checked ..maybe because thermostat is down low and sucking water into the block from below ???is it normal for diesel motors to get so hot on top of egine cover..you can even feel the heat through the bonnet...if you drive a courier check this for me and tell me how hot yours gets..also does your bottom radiator hose stay cooler ?? my big decision now is to (a)stay with the courier and hope it doesn't crack another head..(as they seem to have an obvious weakness and tendency to do so..maybe because of inherent overheating problems and intolerance to heat due to alloy head) or...(b) cut my losses and bail out ??? what do you think guys ???
    tom mack

Ride
    1999 Courier 4x4 TD

The current Ranger is just the existing courier frame with a new cab and new engines/transmissions.

The heads should really only crack through the process of time and wear. If you cooling systems are working within limits then the head should be fine for many kilometres to come.

However that engine does sound fairly hot from your description. I have never taken notice of the temperature of my diesel unit when warmed-up but I'll take it for a spin tonight and have a gawk under the bonet, then get back to you.

If you've had a replacement of all things related to cooling then maybe your new thermostat is rated at a different temperature than the original.

Don't ditch it just yet!

Ride
    1999 Courier 4x4 TD

Rightio, took the ute for a bit of a spin yesterday with the temperature gun and found some interesting things. I'll reply to them as you asked them in the original post.

radiator runs very hot hoses on top..but only lukewarm down below...is this normal??
    Yes, radiator was far too hot to touch, registered at about 85c, along with top radiator hose. if the bottom hose is cool than it suggest that the radiator is doing it's job.

rocket cover runs very hot..too hot to touch..
    Yes, The rocket covers on these engines seem to be cast, rather than moulded, therefore they are a nice big chunk of metal that absorbs engine heat. Mine was running at 85c, same as the radiator.
    Intake and injection components were running at about 65c and exhaust side (covered) was averaging about 130c.

even the bonnet gets very hot...is this normal with turbo charged diesels ???
    I originally thought that your hot bonnet was a bit unusual, but then I realised that the bonnets on these things have no insulation underneath. To my surprise, the bloody thing in the centre directly above the engine was about 45c wheras the outside edges were about 28c. So interestingly, the bonnet does seem to get very warm (but still able to touch) during normal operation.

I hope this answers some of the questions you had. don't give up on her just yet, she may pose some scary situations but everything should turn out all smiles in the end.

Ride
    ford courier diesel

Cool Re: ford courier diesel 2.5litre turbo cracked head

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellw View Post
    Rightio, took the ute for a bit of a spin yesterday with the temperature gun and found some interesting things. I'll reply to them as you asked them in the original post.

Yes, radiator was far too hot to touch, registered at about 85c, along with top radiator hose. if the bottom hose is cool than it suggest that the radiator is doing it's job.

Yes, The rocket covers on these engines seem to be cast, rather than moulded, therefore they are a nice big chunk of metal that absorbs engine heat. Mine was running at 85c, same as the radiator.
    Intake and injection components were running at about 65c and exhaust side (covered) was averaging about 130c.

I originally thought that your hot bonnet was a bit unusual, but then I realised that the bonnets on these things have no insulation underneath. To my surprise, the bloody thing in the centre directly above the engine was about 45c wheras the outside edges were about 28c. So interestingly, the bonnet does seem to get very warm (but still able to touch) during normal operation.

I hope this answers some of the questions you had. don't give up on her just yet, she may pose some scary situations but everything should turn out all smiles in the end.

reply to mitchell

thanks for gettin back to me mitchell..reassuring to know that yours is the same...the local radiator guy here had no idea..i'll take your advice and keep on couriering...guess if i bail out now..i'll never get my money back and if i update to a ranger it may also have it's weaknesses....but a word of warning to you..watch your coolant levels ...don't let them get low..this motor will NOT tolerate overheating !!!! the alloy head overheats rapidly not like the old days when you could boil a n old holden or ford motor ...fill it up with cold water and go on your way..these modern motors seem to crack heads easily....

tom mack i.

Ride
    1999 Courier 4x4 TD

Promptly Noted.

A lot can be said for a big old lump of iron.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information