+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aftermarket audio for FG 50th Anniversary XR6

Ride
    FG XR6 50th

Default Aftermarket audio for FG 50th Anniversary XR6

hey! im buying a brand new 50th Anniversary XR6 sedan (manual transmission, Nitro), and id like to know if its possible to upgrade the sound system aftermarket. The anniversary model (non-turbo), doesn't come with the premium sound system and id like to put a woofer and a couple of 6x9's in it. i read on another forum that someone was having a lot of trouble getting an audio company to modify his system because apparently they said everything is "hard wired" and cant be modified. it sounds strange to me because every other car on the face of the planet seems to be capable of being modified. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ride
    FG XR6

Default Re: Aftermarket audio for FG 50th Anniversary XR6

You can do everything but the head unit. If you want to keep the std controls.
    You can upgrade to the premium sound head unit and screen. Costs I have heard are between $1,200 and $2.500 depending on your dealer. If you live anywhere near the ACT I would try ASL They are a Ford service center and are great for price.
    The premium screen is so much better. Specially if you live in the hotter parts of this country. But the premium sound is anything but !!! And the std screen is terrible. It fades in the heat and looks like a cheap timex watch face.
    There are sound converters out there. Alpine. JB and you can import Bose. There are a few others. These take the sound coming from yor basic head unit and improve it. Costs for these are from $600 odd to a few grand + fitting and set up.
    And are you sure about not being able to upgrade to the premium from yor dealer??? Our new depot manager has a 50th and I know it has the premuim screen. Not sure about the sound I will look tomorrow. And I have priced it for mine from my dealer. $1950...ouch. Too bloody dear.
    Last edited by bretto61; 22-12-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Ride
    FG XR6 50th

the car im buying has the colour screen but not the complete premium system. im not sure about the head unit but i know it only has 4 speakers, one in each door. it also has the tech pack

Ride
    FG XR6

No worries. Yeah the premo sound is not good. But fitting amps and xtra speaker so forth is no worries. You will need to order the A & C pillar speaker housings from Ford or http://www.asllogistics.com/ To keep it looking factory. The ASL guys are pretty good and very helpful

Ride
    PX XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by jam-artist View Post
    hey! im buying a brand new 50th Anniversary XR6 sedan (manual transmission, Nitro), and id like to know if its possible to upgrade the sound system aftermarket. The anniversary model (non-turbo), doesn't come with the premium sound system and id like to put a woofer and a couple of 6x9's in it. i read on another forum that someone was having a lot of trouble getting an audio company to modify his system because apparently they said everything is "hard wired" and cant be modified. it sounds strange to me because every other car on the face of the planet seems to be capable of being modified. Does anyone know anything about this?
    It would be cheaper to buy the premium sound system option before delivery of car from factory as it will be dearer to be done by dealer.

A product to consider is the JBL MS-8 it is nothing short of a sound engineer in a small box and does amazing things with factory systems!

Ride
    XR50

Hi,

Does anyone know where to connect the amp remote wire to so that it powers on only when the sound system goes on? I have the 50th anniversary, so colour screen, but no premium sound.

Can't seem to find anything on the forums about this. Surely people add amps in FG falcons???

Ride
    G6E Turbo / Seduce

I drove a G6 with standard sound and thought it was just ok. I have now got premium sound and it is much better but not awesome. I certainly wouldnt pay the $2500 or whatever to upgrade to premium sound but I would pay that money to a professional car sound person if I were to upgrade
    Famous last words....."I don't need to modify it, its quick enough....."

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2009 FG XR6

i brought mine second hand with the premium sound. It is acceptable. If anything i will change the speakers out for some splits but i aint interested in putting additional amps or subs in....i'm a bit past that now

Ride
    24" hotfoot cruiser

do any of the new models run an amp or an 8" sub in the rear parcel shelf? like the older XR6/8 and LTDs etc. there should be a remote amp wire, you would need to find a wiring diagram.

to add an amp where there is no amp remote wire, you would need to find the power wire for the head unit, i'm pretty sure the amp remote wire draws only 1/2 an Amp power. so should not affect the head unit's performance.

>>on second thought, the power wire to the head unit will most likely be from the accessory circuit... so would come on with the key. however if this is the case, you could wire up an amp from the acc. circuit, it would power the amp while the key is on, but will only draw a load current while the head unit is on and feeding the amp with an audio signal. sort of like a standby mode, it will power up but only be running the on lights etc. it will draw higher current while it is being used to power the speakers and increase it's current draw as the volume is increased.

is there a light anywhere that comes on just with the head unit alone? you could wire up a relay and trigger it with the power that feeds the light,
    the only other idea i can come up with, is there a blade fuse in the back of the head unit? as i'm sort of sure it will only have power through it while the head unit is on. other than that i'm all out of knowledge.

depending on what you wish to run off the amp, i would highly recommend fitting a capacitor easily got from either a place like Jaycar or most places that sell amps, subs etc.

big subs and lots of bass draw a noticeable amount of current. the capacitor evens out the load on your charging system.

i hope this is of some help, however i doubt it. :blush:
    plasma cutter + TIG + 2k paint= to infinity and beyond!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information