+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: (FG) 95 RON vs 98 RON

Experienced Member bfbetterthanfg's Avatar
    Ride
    FG Mk2 XR6 Ute

Default (FG) 95 RON vs 98 RON

I've noticed in my FG XR6 that I seem to be getting better fuel economy when I use 95. Has anyone else found the same or compared? I get maybe 50 or so more km out of a tank.

The annoying thing is that so many petrol stations don't have 95. They have 91 or 98. Or they sell 95 only 3 or 4 cents cheaper than 98, an 10 cents dearer than 91!

And if our Aussie dollar is doing so well, why do petrol prices remain the same instead of dropping a little?

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Default Re: 95 RON vs 98 RON

I find that more than a little surprising.

Perhaps the extra performance is there on 98 and you're using it!
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by bfbetterthanfg View Post
    I've noticed in my FG XR6 that I seem to be getting better fuel economy when I use 95. Has anyone else found the same or compared? I get maybe 50 or so more km out of a tank.

The annoying thing is that so many petrol stations don't have 95. They have 91 or 98. Or they sell 95 only 3 or 4 cents cheaper than 98, an 10 cents dearer than 91!

And if our Aussie dollar is doing so well, why do petrol prices remain the same instead of dropping a little?
    Your XR6 will run on 91 RON but is recommended to run on 95 RON, read your owners book.
    It states 95 RON for enhance performance, fuel economy and trailer towing.

Cheers.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2009 FG XR6

I find a huge difference in performance going from 91 to 95. With the 91 it feels sluggish and unresponsive. Going from the 95 to the 98 i feel a difference but not as pronounced as the 91-95 difference. Fuel economy wise i think i just end up driving it a bit harder and therefore don't really get the fuel economy benefit when i do put 98 in it.

Here in perth it is alot easier to find the 95 than the 98 and the differences in prices are quite well defined. It is normally around 8-10 cents from 91 to 95 and then another 6-8 cents from 95 - 98.

As for fuel proces here in WA ....Well we have our wonderful price cycle which means the price varies by as much as 16 c/l over the space of a week. Fuel for WA is also based on the price of Crude in Singapore which may have less movement than it does against other currencies (don't quote me on that bit). So it is a different cost to what you eastern staters get.

Ride
    XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by steffan72 View Post
    I find a huge difference in performance going from 91 to 95. With the 91 it feels sluggish and unresponsive. Going from the 95 to the 98 i feel a difference but not as pronounced as the 91-95 difference. Fuel economy wise i think i just end up driving it a bit harder and therefore don't really get the fuel economy benefit when i do put 98 in it.

Here in perth it is alot easier to find the 95 than the 98 and the differences in prices are quite well defined. It is normally around 8-10 cents from 91 to 95 and then another 6-8 cents from 95 - 98.

As for fuel proces here in WA ....Well we have our wonderful price cycle which means the price varies by as much as 16 c/l over the space of a week. Fuel for WA is also based on the price of Crude in Singapore which may have less movement than it does against other currencies (don't quote me on that bit). So it is a different cost to what you eastern staters get.
    We all in Australia come under the singapore prices and movement.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2009 FG XR6

well there yu go............learn something new every day....

Ride
    G6E Turbo / Seduce

I filled up with 95 octane by mistake the other day ( I always use 98 ), today i checked the litres/per 100 km and found it to be very good after doing 150 km. I was surprised and I will check again towards the end of the tank.

Ride
    FG XR8

Well i filled up with 95 in my XR8 today just to see if there is any difference in performance and economy, next week ill try E10 and see how that goes, will keep you informed..............

Ride
    XLT Ranger

Tried 98, seen no extra benefit over 95 plus I have used E10 which I find is ok and gives a lot more punch than regular 91 and comes on par with 95.
    IMO E10 gets the thumbs up!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2009 FG XR6

keep us informed with the E10. It is my understanding that you get lower mileage with the E10 but i'm certianly no expert. How does the price of E10 compate to the 95ron.

I would defenitely be open to giving it a try

Ride
    XLT Ranger

I have only seen a gain of approx 50 k's to the tank using 95 or 98 over 91 and using the E10 is the same consumption as 91 but with power increase with about 3 or 4 cents cheaper.
    Other people I know get different results so I guess it comes down to the type of cars you are using.

Ride
    FG Mk2 XR6 Ute

I never use 91. Its either 95 or 98 for me. I'm just disappointed in the lack of 95 bowsers in Sydney. I'm not sold on E10. I used it in other cars and found the mileage was poor. I don't feel much difference in performance between 95 and 98 either. I certainly don't think 98 is worth the money they are asking for it and those of you with turbos and V8s are stuck paying too much for your fuel.

Ride
    G6E Turbo / Seduce

Thumbs down Re: 95 RON vs 98 RON

After using a tank of 95 octane, I managed around 15 ltr per 100 km. Normally with 98 octane I get around 13 ltr per 100 km. G6ET with lots of rattles

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    DF LTD 5.0 & BA XR8

i had a 95 LTD used to ping on 91. fine on 95 and no difference for 98. so i used 95 in it always. i use 95 always when i find it. mobil usually has it.
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR50

Thumbs up Re: 95 RON vs 98 RON

Hi there, I have a 2010 XR6 and have tried 95 & 98, with no great difference, and tried E10 which is 95 RON. I need to keep a logbook which I have also modified to calculate l/100km. I have noticed E10 gives the best l/100km/$ value of all. This is especially evident when fuel is at the lowest part of the price cycle, and E10 price is at $1.179cpl. You gotta love that!!!

Ride
    2010 FG Falcon XR50

Getting about 10L/100km out of my manual 2010 FG XR50 on 98. All depends on your driving style really.

Ride
    FG XR8

keep us informed with the E10. It is my understanding that you get lower mileage with the E10 but i'm certianly no expert. How does the price of E10 compate to the 95ron.

Last week i filled up with 95 in my 09 XR8 and found no difference in power but slightly better fuel economy.
    This week i filled up with E10, the power seens the same, certainly not lacking any, as for fuel economy ill let you know at the end of the week .
    The difference in price in Sydney, ......... 98 $1.35 per liter
    95 $1.30 per liter
    E10 91 $1.17 per liter
    Thats a saving of 18 cents a litre or $12.24 a tank fill.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2009 FG XR6

Thats quite a significant difference in price...i am going to checkout where i can get E10 in perth and give it a look.

Edit. E10 is not yet available at the pump in perth
    Last edited by steffan72; 09-12-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Ride
    FG Mk2 XR6 Ute

We don't buy Falcons to feather the throttle! I don't drive mine hard but still only average 400-450km a tank in Sydney from my 4.0 which is V8 economy. Solution: I bought myself a 91 Laser TX3 non-turbo to run around in. I've done 300km and its still got nearly half a tank in it! The Falcon will be there to be enjoyed on long trips. I'm sick of it getting hammered by small/narrow parking spaces, cement roads, potholes, redundant manhole covers that sit 8 inches deep on Parramatta Rd (which I swerve to avoid but sometimes you're boxed in), bloody speed humps over a foot high and pedestrian islands that stick out everywhere! Let's face it, Sydney is not Falcon friendly. Its not friendly period. So I'll drive the buzz box around day-to-day, keep the km low on the Falc until I can move back to Wollongong where a Falcon can be enjoyed.....not punished.

Ride
    XR50th auto & G6

my BF ute got an extra 60-70k from a tank using 91 if I filled from a non discount servo, my xr50th only has 2k on the clock, still experimenting

Ride
    FG XR8

Well today i finished my test on E10 in my XR8 and unfortunately i did not get the economy that i expected, it done about 355 km to a full tank, with the 95 i got 410 km to a full tank, although there was not a lot of difference in power loss that i could notice. On these figures i will stick to the 95 even though the E10 is 15cents a litre cheaper.

Ride
    2009 G6E

When I bought my 09 G6E and filled it with 95 RON at my local United fuel station they add ethanol to 95 not 91. The car ran OK but it drank heavily on E10/95, Avg Econ 11.9L/per100kms. Filled up at the same place with 98 RON which no longer has ethanol added to it and she still ran well but drank heavily, and same Avg Econ. I now fill at another local Caltex station with Vortex 95 and no ethanol added. Avg Econ 8.7l per 100km around town. When I had my 95 EF and 95 RON first became available I used that in the EF and it ran heaps better. A friend of mine who works for Shell told me that 91 RON is just crap and by the time it gets to filling stations it's already stale and that's one reason it's the cheapest. If it wasn't for all the taxes and green party ideological rubbish diesel would be the cheapest as it's the first fuel off the cracking plant.
    Last edited by cleaner; 15-06-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    2009 FG XR6

Quote Originally Posted by cleaner View Post
    When I bought my 09 G6E and filled it with 95 RON at my local United fuel station they add ethanol to 95 not 91. The car ran OK but it drank heavily on E10/95, Avg Econ 11.9L/per100kms. Filled up at the same place with 98 RON which no longer has ethanol added to it and she still ran well but drank heavily, and same Avg Econ. I now fill at another local Caltex station with Vortex 95 and no ethanol added. Avg Econ 8.7l per 100km around town. When I had my 95 EF and 95 RON first became available I used that in the EF and it ran heaps better. A friend of mine who works for Shell told me that 91 RON is just crap and by the time it gets to filling stations it's already stale and that's one reason it's the cheapest. If it wasn't for all the taxes and green party ideological rubbish diesel would be the cheapest as it's the first fuel off the cracking plant.
    8.7L/100km is exceptional fuel economy and the sort you would expect on a long country run cruizing with no few stops. I wish i could get even close to that town driving in my xr6. If i am real nice and drive it using the sequential shift to make it change grears as early as possibly and keep my rpm down the best i have been able to get is about 11.2 town driving (bearing in mind i am all stop start traffik to work and home with an average speed of about 30km/h) As a point of interest what is your average speed showing on your trip meter for your town driving.

Ride
    2009 G6E

My trip computer reads an average speed of 50. I have inflated the tyres to 36psi all round. I rarely use the sequential shift as driving with the rpm too low can work against you economy wise. I gather you have the 5 speed box? Mines the 6 speed and going down hills at say 70kph you take your foot off the accelerator and the 6 speed box automatically changes down so if you are approaching a set of traffic lights you only have to use light brake pedal pressure. I unfortunately don't get to drive my G6E as often as I'd like and it's mainly used on long country road drives. Like recently I went to Mudgee in central NSW and the avg economy dropped to 8.5lper100km. I overtook three semis and found (unlike the EF I owned before it) I didn't have to really put the boot into it and I shot past the three in seconds. Avg economy for that rose to 9.2. I wouldn't mind betting that the avg economy is out to blazers and yours is probably more accurate.

Ride
    2009 G6E

I'll also add that I've been to the UK twice and they don't have 91 RON over there's just 95 RON and 97 RON and diesel. Last time I was there in 2007 fuel price at BP at Heathrow airport was ( in pence per litre) 95 97.9p 97 98.9p and diesel 99.9p and no discounting. Australian dollar was buying around 50p so you just double it for Australian dollars.
    That makes 95 RON around $2.00 per litre over there. We think fuel is expensive here. In Scottish highlands it was 1 pound 55pence per litre for 95. eeeekkkkkk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information