+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BF Auto selector panel light

Ride
    BF Wagon

Default BF Auto selector panel light

The light has gone out on the indicator panel at the base of the auto gear selector lever. I am assuming it is only a bulb needing replacing but am not sure how to get to it. Has anyone done a bulb replacement and how did you go about it? Any advice or information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Robbo

Ego Excitement!
    Ride
    2006 BF XR6 sedan

Default Re: BF Auto selector panel light

If it's a 4 speed, it will be a T5 wedge type bulb and the 6 speed uses an LED mounted on the circuit board.
    Not sure about the 6 speed, but I know that the 4 speed bulb replacement is a console out job...or at the very least the back of the console needs lifting up to get to the shifter surround and bulbholder.

Have a look at this...http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=862
    Last edited by linzt; 21-10-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Ride
    BF Wagon

Hi linzt, thanks for your response. It is definately a four speed. All i need to do now is to figure out how to remove or open up the console to get access to the bulb. Will have a go at it this weekend. Have tried to open that link you posted but it won't let me in.
    Cheers
    Robbo
    Last edited by Robbo_Qld; 22-10-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Ego Excitement!
    Ride
    2006 BF XR6 sedan

If you join up over at Australian Ford Forums, you should be able to see it I'd say.
    If you need any help with the wagon at all, let me know through AFF...I'm a moderator over there and my username is linz.
    I've got a BA wagon that I've converted to full XR specs...there's a build thread in the B series section or click on my signature to check it out.

Ego Excitement!
    Ride
    2006 BF XR6 sedan

Just found this on AFF...no pics, but it might help you out mate...

Re BA console pulling out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have found the following to be the easiest, and it's still a bit tricky.
    I usually start any of this sort of work by disconnecting the battery Unless,

If you have electric seats, move both fully forward and remove the 8mm silver bolts either side of the console towards the back, each one is just above the back of the inboard seat runner. remove the two small phillips screws you see when you open the centre console lid. They are the ones at the very back. Gently remove the back part of the console, containing the globe fitting that you now twist and disconnect at the same time removing small grey grommet thing that attaches its wiring harness to the back of the console. If you have electric seats, now move them right back and then disconnect battery.

remove the surround from the gearshift, be gentle as you ease the front up, followed equally by the back of the unit. It is quite easy as long as you don't try and heave one side out first. Lift equally to reveal a bunch of 4 silver bolts, again 8 mm and 2 gold screws surrounding the gear lever panel. Remove all of those and put somewhere safe. The console wings are next, usually the contrasting pieces of plastic that literally do run down both sides of the console. All you do is unscrew the 2 phillips screws just in front of the cupholders that you revealed when you removed the gearlever surround. Undo each screw, move back end of each wing up and out a bit and slide down from where it fits into command centre area.
    In turn this reveals one large black screw and smaller gold coloured screw at the top of the console (either side of the tissue holder) Remove all 4 screws and pull tissue holder unit back (towards back of car) until you can safely disconnect the plug that activates the 12 volt power source. Put those bits to one side.

The console is kept firm near the handbrake by attaching itself to 2 large metal hooks that are part of the handbrake mechanism. I DO NOT know the factory recommendation for this bit, I tend to gently move the rubber skirt back on the H/Brake lever to reveal the two hooks and with a blade srcewdriver just force down slightly and IN slightly at the same time to relief the console of the two hooks.

It's here that things become interesting, with the centre console empty, remove the lining at the bottom, just grab it by the short and curly and bring it up, it's not glued down just kept in place with little tabs in little slots. This reveals 4 wells in the bottom of the console. 2 of those wells seem to position the unit and the other 2 seem to contain the tip of a special clip that has to be moved inboard to help release it. This is where I wish I had a digital camera. It will all make sense once the console is released but the best I can do is say one is one the passenger side at the front, the other on the drivers side at the back hole. Look at them with a bright light and a good flat bladed screwdriver, you will see the tip just sticking up into the hole, but notice it has room to move sideways and that is what you do.

Now, if you gently slide the entire unit back and up at the same time, watching out that you have not reconnected those clips at the bottom of the console, and that you are free of the handbrake mechanism, you should be able to bring the entire unit out, leaving behind the actual gear lever surround and gear lever handle in place. Note removal of the handle is simply a small phillips screw in the lower front of the gear lever handle, removed and the handle slid straight up.

Again, please note that there is no need to undo all the screws you see along the side of the console when the wings are removed, They hold the console skirts in place and they cant be removed until the console is completely out of the car because thay have four large srcews that go into the a/c ducts and they can only be got at once the console is on the bench.

Re install means putting those locking clips into the bottom of the console storage area itself before putting back into car. Please make sure you watch them, it seems a potential trap if they go down the holes in the tunnel.

This is what I have found out re the console, If you need to know about the actuul command centre itself, that is covered in detail in other parts of this forum.

I am not a mechanic and all due care should be taken with your pride and joy, I just hope this helps a bit.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

If I find anything else, I'll post it up here.

Cheers, Linz.
    Last edited by linzt; 22-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Ride
    BF Wagon

Thumbs up Re: BF Auto selector panel light

Hi again Linz. Thank you very much for your reply, the information you have supplied will be extremely helpful and after reading it and looking at the console, it all makes sense now.
    Once again thanks and have a great day.

Best Regards

Robbo

Ego Excitement!
    Ride
    2006 BF XR6 sedan

No worries Robbo, glad to help.

THought I'd say thanks too. What an effort to change a globe!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information