+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fg xr6 fuel flap issue

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Default Fg xr6 fuel flap issue

Am I the only one who cannot understand the design of the fuel flap on my 08/2010 FG XR6? When I took it in for it's first service I was informed it is 'normal' for it to open around 10mm when locked. Not that I want it to happen, but it would be an easy task for some low life to put a couple of fingers under the flap and rip the flimsy thing off the side of the car. So much for a 'lockable' device ...... Does anyone know if Ford are looking at a retrofit to resolve this poor excuse for security?

Ride
    FG XR6T

Default Re: Fg xr6 fuel flap issue

How does it compare to mine?
    Attached Images

Ride
    FG XR6

Eeeeek
    Go Ford service ha ha
    Sorry mate. It looks like its sitting proud on the lock side of the filler. I just had a look at mine and it sits flush all the way around.
    You might be able to cut down the plunger on the flap lock. But check how much of it is exposed when it is pushed right in. It locks like a biro pen. Clicks down to lock and clicks down again to release. So you will want a bit of the plunger exposed. My bet is that its too long on the first place or not in properly.

Ride
    XLT Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Groper1 View Post
    Am I the only one who cannot understand the design of the fuel flap on my 08/2010 FG XR6? When I took it in for it's first service I was informed it is 'normal' for it to open around 10mm when locked. Not that I want it to happen, but it would be an easy task for some low life to put a couple of fingers under the flap and rip the flimsy thing off the side of the car. So much for a 'lockable' device ...... Does anyone know if Ford are looking at a retrofit to resolve this poor excuse for security?
    I'm sure there must be some adjustment for your issue and don't take the dealers lame attitude in their answer, compare to their cars filler flaps.

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    How does it compare to mine?
    Even when the car is locked the fuel flap can be pushed and opened approx 12 mm, which is enough to get two fingers beheind it. I believe it would be best for my sanity if I try another dealer as I have additional issue with noisy brakes as the car comes to a stop, which they also explained as 'normal'. My previous (company) car was a Commodore VE SV6 and I'm sorry to say that the dealer quality was better at the GM ranch .......

Ride
    XLT Ranger

When I lock the ute the flap can be still opened, but i do not worry about it as I prefer some prick to pinch a bit of fuel than damage the flap.

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Quote Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
    When I lock the ute the flap can be still opened, but i do not worry about it as I prefer some prick to pinch a bit of fuel than damage the flap.
    The latest post from Officemanager is exactly my point. My neighbor has an FG G6E, and a guy 2 doors down at work also has an FG XR6T, and both of them discovered theirs were not locking when I asked to check how they operated. Ford obviously has a design / reliability issue in this area, which involves several issues. I trust they will come to their senses (even if it does cost some $$'s) and do the right thing by sorting it out.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR6

Better not have any lock to begin with, like me my 09 model has no lock. Simply push the fuel door in, it will then pop out. When you want to close it just push it back in again and it will close into place. no need for locks. If someone wants to steal your fuel, they will! so in this case, its better than scratching/damaging/tampering your fuel door just for $2 worth of fuel.

Ride
    FG XR6

You cant siphon fuel out of an FG anyway

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR6

Quote Originally Posted by bretto61 View Post
    You cant siphon fuel out of an FG anyway
    Theives dont know that, and neither did I. So the first attempt would be to damage the fuel door in such case, then to only realise they can't. = damaged already done. Taking the fuel is not the damage.

Ride
    XLT Ranger

Confirmed from local Ford dealer.... Fg ute flap do not lock at all, but the later model sedans do.

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Bottom line is that the design Ford have come up with is of a low / unacceptable quality. While the flap can be forcibly opened on ANY car, these things are generally seen as a deterent and the would be 'a' hole simply move onto another easily accessible car. I would much prefer a properly designed bit of hardware, not something one would expect on a piece of rubbish from Korea as we have now.

Ride
    AUIII F/mont Ghia

Now we all know why it was deleted during development! The provision was always there, just no hardware...

It's a pity that they didn't get rid of the design flaw that killed it in the first place...
    Current car - AUIII Fairmont Ghia. Organza. Stock as a rock.
    Coming soon - ??? (but something is on order!)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect (as written by Douglas Adams)

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Quote Originally Posted by Elements View Post
    Now we all know why it was deleted during development! The provision was always there, just no hardware...

It's a pity that they didn't get rid of the design flaw that killed it in the first place...
    God bless Gorman and his team of cost-cutting penny-pinchers...
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

PM me or Elements to join!

Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Thumbs down Re: Fg xr6 fuel flap issue

I'm not going to let this one go ..... I suppose I should have included the attached image with my original post so there could be no confusion over my issue. The car is locked, which also (obviously) "locks" the fuel flap, yet as can be clearly seen the flap can still be opened by 10mm. This is a jim dandy distance to get two fingers under it and rip the flimsy thing off the side of the car. All this potential damage for a fuel tank that all of us now understand cannot be siphoned from!!
    Attached Images

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Looks like the cover isn't even closing. Have you spoken to a dealer about it?

What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Thanks for responding jPod. The cover is closing fine, but when the car is locked and the flap / cover is pressed it opens 10 mm before the internal locking pin takes over and won't allow it to open any more. I specifically spoke to the guy when booking my car in for its 3,000 km service at Jefferson Ford (Mentone) and showed him the issue. His words were "That's normal, they all do that". As per my original post I have since checked two other FG's (neighbor @ home [G6E] and neighbor @ work [XR6T]) and neither of those locked at all!!

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Thanks for responding jPod. The cover is closing fine, but when the car is locked and the flap / cover is pressed it opens 10 mm before the internal locking pin takes over and won't allow it to open any more. I specifically spoke to the guy when booking my car in for its 3,000 km service at Jefferson Ford (Mentone) and showed him the issue. His words were "That's normal, they all do that". As per my original post I have since checked two other FG's (neighbor @ home [G6E] and neighbor @ work [XR6T]) and neither of those locked at all!!
    Press him a little harder. Tell him you have looked at other cars. Even threaten to take the matter to Ford. Your dealer is just being lazy. Worst case, go to another dealer. I have heard good things about Strapp Ford Doncaster (I know its a fair drive from mentone though).

There aren't many dealers I trust any more...

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG XR6

I'm not going to let this one go ..... I suppose I should have included the attached image with my original post so there could be no confusion over my issue. The car is locked, which also (obviously) "locks" the fuel flap, yet as can be clearly seen the flap can still be opened by 10mm. This is a jim dandy distance to get two fingers under it and rip the flimsy thing off the side of the car. All this potential damage for a fuel tank that all of us now understand cannot be siphoned from!!
    Yours is clearly a fault and should take it to another dealer. IT should be a simple fix too! No wonder your whinning...

I'm whinnning I dont have a freaken lock.

Ride
    FG XR6

I would complain about it sitting proud. It should do that.
    But I wouldnt worry about the leverage bit too much. The hinge is made of such a flimsy plastic my twelve year old daughter could snap it only using a biro.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    FG - XR6 50th Ann.

I've had the same issue on 50th anniversary XR6. Was told they all do it. Didn't believe them, so while the car was getting its 3000km service, walked around the yard trying it on all the new FGs. All the ones that were locked did the exact same thing.

Rang Ford Customer Relationship Centre just to say this is a bad design and suggest they fix it for future models. It should either lock properly, or be left unlocked. As it stands, it just invites damage.
    Last edited by Woderwick; 25-10-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    G6ET

Early FGs do not have lockable fuel lid. Supercheap auto sells a lockable fuel cap for the FGs. I bought one early this year but never had time to replace and use it!!! I think the lockable fuel cap emptied about $40 out of my wallet!

Ride
    XR6 50TH Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Woderwick View Post
    I've had the same issue on 50th anniversary XR6. Was told they all do it. Didn't believe them, so while the car was getting its 3000km service, walked around the yard trying it on all the new FGs. All the ones that were locked did the exact same thing.

Rang Ford Customer Relationship Centre just to say this is a bad design and suggest they fix it for future models. It should either lock properly, or be left unlocked. As it stands, it just invites damage.
    Mine does the same a design fault but I really cannot see a problem because opportunist scumbags that want to damage the cover or any other part of the car will do so no matter what you do to protect your car. I've seen were cars have had the roof caved in by low life’s looking for so called fun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride
    10' FG XR6T

That picture with the ruler as posted is normal. The later build FGs all allow the cap to be opened slightly when the car is locked.

Unfortunately the design of the system is to blame and the only way to fix it would be to completely redesign the locking mechanism...

Ride
    Silhouette FGXR6 6sp

Quote Originally Posted by WILDB View Post
    That picture with the ruler as posted is normal. The later build FGs all allow the cap to be opened slightly when the car is locked.

Unfortunately the design of the system is to blame and the only way to fix it would be to completely redesign the locking mechanism...
    While I appreciate all of the responses receieved, it does not get around the fact that it is a second rate crap design which should never have been allowed to leave the design(!!??) department.

The next question which immediately comes to mind would be to ask what half wit allowed the design to be changed so that even when locked it can be opened enough to rip it off it's petty hinges?

Not happy Jan .........

My next step is to call Ford to ask for their formal response. Wish me luck .......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information