+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fg xr6t rust

Ride
    fg xr6T

Exclamation Fg xr6t rust

G'day, I am a newbie here on the forum. I need some help with a rust problem. I have a 2009 white xr6t sedan which has obvious rust staining around several underbonnet seams. I have found a few other threads where people say thay have had an issue and raised with ford, but no one seems to have posted what the final fix was from ford if any.
    Areas affected are: around the bonnet hinge points in the body, around the seams towards the rear of the engine bay, lower cross members etc etc. It is relatively minor at the moment but it get's me thinking that rust between seams showing at 18 months is concern. Does anyone know what action ford is likely to take, how long will I get stuffed around in the process? I went to a dealer and had it inspected last week and they said "it shouldn't be like that" and "this is the first one we have seen like this", they took photos and sent to ford to determine what will be done to fix, but they were fairly non commital, this was a major melboune dealer with Panel shop on site.
    After going their, on my way home I went to a couple of other yards and had a look at the cars on the lot and can see the start of similar issues, though not as bad, particularly in the white cars in the FG series. I don't want to go crazy and start posting pics and links from every article relating to the FG falcon I can find just yet and am trying to stay calm pending what ford do. But very keen to find out from anyone with similar experience what repairs if any were unedratken by ford.
    Looking forward to any feedback - Thanks in advance.

Ride
    BA wagon, Camry S/W

Default Re: Fg xr6t rust

thanks for the warning.

This is the sort of thing where Ford need to step right up with an immediate 'can-do' mentality rather than the duck-shove. We await their response to you..

Having said this, on a white car, minor rust staining from metal hinges, bolts, etc, which cannot be rust-proofed as they need to move (unless you make them out of very expensive stainless), will be very obvious.

Possibly another reason to buy an aluminium XJ
    NZ koru

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Welcome to the forums mate.
    Keep us posted on how you go with Ford.

AL, I saw a blue XJ yesterday morning. Front end is stunning, rear is growing on me.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Forum Regular
    Ride
    XR7

I have an ego xr6 and noticed the same thing under the bonnet. I sprayed it with a contact type anti rust oil which i use on my 4wds for beach work. I must admit i was concerned with it but i am so over dealers that i don't take anything to them as i find it a complete waste of my time and effort.

I sincerely hope you have success with ford on this. Good luck.

Rusty (not taking the p*ss, thats my nickname)

Ride
    fg xr6T

Ford got back to me today and are going to fix it, so it's all good. Not sure exactly what will be done at this stage but they want me to come in and have it looked again, in further detail and the dealer verbally commited that they will fix it under warranty. Once I know exactly what will be done I will post a follow up.

As I said in the original post it is "relatively Minor" at this stage and I am not going to flip out over it. I don't want to fuel any anti ford sentiment on the net, so will not post any pics of my vehicle. However I will say it is "very similar" to pics posted by others on another forum.

It's still a great car that makes me smile every time I drive it and assumeing Ford will fix to my satisfaction it won't taint the vehicle or my experience with Ford vehicles, of which I have had many.

Slcxr6t did ford fix your car?

Ride
    FG XR6 Turbo

Mine has had the exact same rust marks coming from under seams in the engine bay since new. I picked it up 11th Jan 2011 so its not old at all. Maybe I should mention it as well. Tell us what they did for you because I cant imagine there is much they can do

Ride
    FG turbo, Capri V6

I have an 01/10 XR6 turbo and yes the rust is coming up at the seams under the bonnet too. Had an Au with the same problem and spoke to dealer just before the 3 years were up for warranty. They referred me to a panel beater who fixed the problem but guess what, it returned in the same spots although some years later.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information