+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford laser KJ ECU

Ride
    1996 Ford Laser lynx

Default Ford laser KJ ECU

My 96 Laser Lynx or Laser KJ as it is known in Australia has been giving me trouble for ages. My fuel consumption is crazy. For every 255 km that I travel I'm burning 27.778 liters of fuel. It's acceptable for a 13+ year old car. But I recently changed the engine with a recon mazda BP engine. Changed the air flow meter with a compatible one (B6BF), spark plug cables, and exhaust sensor. My mechanic tells me that during the diagnostic my ECU was giving out a trouble code. He reset the ecu then flashed it. But I'm still burning the same amount of fuel. There is no white or blue smoke from the exhaust pipe which means my engine is in good shape. Every so often my throttle gets clogged with carbon and the car dies during idle. Spark plugs become coated with carbon every time this happens. So I wanted to know if it really is the ECU and what can I do about it. Also would it be easy to source an ECU from Australia as I live in Malaysia and finding an ECU here is impossible unless you go to a Ford workshop. Ford gave me a ridiculous quote for the ECU which is a lot higher than what my car is worth. So please guys I need your help.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    capri clubsprint

Default Re: Ford laser KJ ECU

i think you'll find the ecu for the mazda engine is different to the ford one, can u source a mazda ecu for the engine u replaced the ford one with - it's basically the same engine but the ecu's differ.
    I have a 96 kj laser and a 96 mazda astina - same bp engines, but different ecus.

Ride
    1996 Ford Laser lynx

I asked my mechanic if it was possible to use a mazda 323 or an astina's ecu but he said though the engines maybe the same the sensors in the cars may not be identical to the one in mine. Anyway the only choice I had left was to ask him to fix it. After a few days he said that the part of the ecu that was malfunctioning was the part that controlled some light sensor in the car. The other parts including air fuel mixture was fine. So I'm back to square one and I don't know if I will ever be able to find the problem.

Ride
    Ford laser

what ur mechanic meant by light sensor??? i also driving laser KJ according to my knowledge my car doesnt have any light sensor..and also if he says ur air fuel mixture is fine you should have good fuel consumption..are you sure that you have the right mechanic to fix you car.anyway i have the same problem.previous owner of my car change the ECU which is not fully compatible like the original ECU does. therefore car is giving lot of troubles (random engine mis,high fuel consumption,etc) therefor i need to find the correct ECU to sort out every problems that my car is giving..if you guys have the part numbers for the ECU which laser kj original comes with please reply me.that would be a great help..

Harsha gunarathne I agree with you well as of my knowledge there is no light sensor in my car to,If you want some tips you can check this out this is all about mechanics and motors click here.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information