+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FG 1 Tonner - rust problems

Ride
    FG 1 tonner

Exclamation FG 1 Tonner - rust problems

I have an FG 1 tonner with some rust problems which the dealership servicing the car say they can't understand and don't seem to be able to fix. Maybe someone here can help.

I bought the car new May 2009 but is is a 2008 build. It has a factory tray and genuine towbar. Aside from that it is a standard, boring 1 tonner with automatic with which I am very happy aside from this problem.

The rust started to appear in the tray hinges around the lower bolts. It is kind of weird but every lower bolt in every hinge started to develop a rust halo a couple of mm wide. All of the upper bolts are fine.

The rust also started to appear around some of the smaller bolts in the tray surrounds. Problem was pointed out to dealership at service but they had to get authority from Ford to repair. After 2 months without response, someone finally chased it up and it was decided to replace the hinges and bolts.

In the meantime, the rust halos have grown - now bigger than the size of the bolt head; and the rear wheel studs (both sides) are corroding badly (but not the front); and the various bolts connecting the towbar to the car are also corroding badly; and some bolts in the rear suspension (not the front) are also corroded; and the edges of all of the galvanised steel in mudguards and brackets attached to the tray are corroding and (most worryingly) the seams in the cab metalwork are starting to rust.

The dealership says it has seen nothing like it and does not appear to be getting any factory support to resolve.

To me it seems to be an electrolysis problem and I am concerned that the delays are just making things worse. By way of background the vehicle is used in Canberra and rural NSW well away from the ocean.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Are there other areas I should be checking?

Gordon

Ride
    FG Falcon XR50

Default Re: FG 1 Tonner - rust problems

Hi Gordon,

That is a definite warranty job. Are you sure it's not your dealer playing games with you, rather than Ford? Either way... keep hammering the buggers.

I'm wondering if the car was exposed to the salty.
    You don't slow down as you get older ... you enjoy taking the time to do it better.

Ride
    FG XR6

Go back to the dealer and ask for his reply in writing, or demand it.
    Usually this will lift their game.
    If it doesn't then send his written reply with pic's to Ford themselves.
    It does sound strange. Wrong bolts or washers??? No idea. Don't forget what most fertalizer base is...sodium. Toss a few bags of R32 in the back and the dust is worse than a day at the beach.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

I was thinking electrolysis while i was reading the first post. But usually when this is the case the first thing that will corrode if electrolysis is the aluminium radiator. What do u carry in the tray?
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Far out! I have never seen an FG rust like that, and a fair few of the ones I saw were treated very poorly (for good reason though). I would back bretto's idea about wanting it in writing, and maybe contacting Ford yourself in writing.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

PM me or Elements to join!

Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    FG XR8

It sounds as if the vehicle may of been in salt water at some time , but you would never know unless you got some test done on the rust.

Ride
    One with wheels

own a boat ??

Ride
    FG CAB CHASSIS

Gordon, I also have a rusty FG 1 Tonner my rust is mainly under the bonnet & rear seams. Ford have said it will be repaired under warranty but dealer is playing funny buggers. The last quote for repairs was around $ 15,000.00 ( yes that much), they have told me they want to replace the whole body!!!. panel shop has told me theres no seam sealer in joins. The warranty trail has been going on since jan 2010 and I'm gettin a little peaved, might name the dealer soon they don't want to know about it.

Ride
    FG2 XR6T ute

i noticed rust on an FG cab/chassis ute today.

rear cab seems/welds had surface rust. thats a bit of a worry. looking at the same area on the BA it doesnt have these seems, nor did i find any rust except a little on some low grade steel bolts.

also, on our BA where the leaf springs bolt to the body, its black like the chassis. on this FG it had surface rust. surface rust on that part probably isnt a huge deal as its quite thick steel but... its a new car and its quite easy for everyone to see it...which is really bad advertising for ford.

anyway, i dont know the history of this FG ute for all i know it could launch boats every weekend. ill have to check a few more out.

how would you fix rust in the body seems? it looked like it was only on the join, could you grind it a lil then paint? the suspension component looked as though a wire brush and paint would do the trick.

furry ford fan

Ride
    FG CAB CHASSIS

apologies for late reply been on holidays. had inspection with ford paint department today and they agree it is rusted they said they would get back to me on wedensday. they haven't seen any others as bad as this. just want the bloody thing fixed.

Ride
    fg xr6T

Gday Rust bucket,

I have similar issue under bonnet - Ford are going to fix under warranty but I am not sure exactly what they will do yet. Keen to hear what the outcome was with yours if you see this post.

Cheers.

Ride
    FG CAB CHASSIS

SLCXR6T,

My problem is getting solved tommorow, and I am very happy with the outcome. Just stick to your guns and be nice to the dealer. Its your car and they have to fix it properly, if your not happy, tell them, I went through Ford customer care, they try their best and you will get a result but it takes time, mine was 10 months.

Rust bucket did they repair or replace your ute?

Ride
    FG Ute

i knew mine had some at the back on the seal and after washing it on monday realised it has gotten ten times worse.
    went over the ute and the whole engine bay is coverd in surface rust in all the joints/seams
    so is the bonnet hinges

took it to ford this arvo and the service manger took photos of every thing and im off to their pannel beater so he can give them a price to fix it.

oh yeah the ute isnt even 6months old...
    no boat, no where no where near beach (penrith)
    and utes looked after..
    service guy said he's never seen one so new so bad so fast.
    Last edited by liquidtech; 23-02-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Liquidtech how did you go with your rust repairs??

Ride
    FG Ute

3 weeks after showing the dealer it was at the pannel shop, looks good now but got sent back twice ( not the greatest pannel shop, but it was a "ford" authorised one )
    got new rear wheel studs too as both back sets were both rusted.
    no idear on what the cost was but its fixed ( for ) now...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information