+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold start engine knock

Ride
    ba xt falcon

Default Cold start engine knock

Hi everyone. I have a 2003 BA with 145000 ks. There is a knock in the engine on a cold start up which goes after a few seconds. It can be quite loud sometimes and sometimes it's not there at all. My local mechanic thinks it may be an oil drain back issue where there is no oil in the top until pressure builds up. Are these engines fitted with a oil valve that may be faulty and allowing oil to completely drain from the top end. Thanks for any help.

Ride
    xr8 ute mkII manual

Default Re: Cold start engine knock

try a genuine oil filter i have read somewhere that has fixed the cold start rattle in another blokes BA. must hold the pressure up the top end somehow instead of letting it drain through, worth a shot maybe?

Forum Regular
    Ride
    BA FALCON

i have 2005 BA only70K, had a rattle noise when starting cold engine, replaced noisy idler pulley, noise gone ( if you listen to idler pulley you can tell if the bearing is making a grinding noise, had mind replaced under warranty, but replacement pulley assy should only cost approx $40 )

Ride
    BA RTV UTE V8

Hi Hessian,
    what engine have you got, if it's a V8 it could be cam phaser sprockets.
    Bryan.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    DF LTD 5.0 & BA XR8

all oil filters have that drainback valve. some genuine 6cyl oil filters are poorly made. the center hole where the thread is, is not in the centre.... be carefull.

are u using the right oil?
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Ride
    ba xt falcon

Hi all. Thanks for the responses. The engine is a 6 cylinder. I have tried various oil filters and the problem remains. I am also using the correct grade of oil. I no longer drive the vehicle. It just sits in the driveway like a big white elephant. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am now looking to trade the car in. After 36 years of driving Fords this will certainly be my last.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information