+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken rocker arm - how?!

Ride
    EF Falcon Wagon

Question Broken rocker arm - how?!

Hey all! I have an EF falcon, and about 2 months ago the hydaulic lash adjusters started ticking like crazy. It seemed to be coming from the rear intake side, so I got 4 new HLA's from repco and replaced the 4 rear ones on the intake side. Well, this didn't cure the ticking, but changed it slightly, and 2 months later I take my rocker cover off to find that 2 of the rocker arms (which have new HLA's) have broken. The part of the arm where the HLA sits into has snapped off, right on the end of the arm. So the HLA's are basically sitting in place by the skin of their teeth - so to speak.
    Aside from having rocker arm fragments in my oil return ports, I'm worried about the same thing happening when I put new rocker arms in, so my questions is, what is likely to have caused this?
    Last edited by cmstruwe; 06-01-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

Default Re: Broken rocker arm - how?!

perhaps they were not installed correctly. perhaps they were like that before you changed the HLA's.

with these engines for the ticking sound its important you use a good grade of 15/40 oil, anything thicker and the lifters dont like it.
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Experienced Member
    Ride
    XF & el Fairmont sw,

I had a similar thing happen on my wife's 4 cyl Mitsubishi, turned out it had jumped a link in the timing chain, so the valves where just kissing the pistons!

New timing chain and we got another 40,000 before we sold it.

Ride
    EF Falcon Wagon

The HLA's were installed correctly, and the rocker arms were definitely not like it to begin with! The part of the rocker arm where the HLA sits in is basically broken off, the HLA simply would not have gone in correctly if it was like it to begin with.
    And as for the oil, I only use 15W-40. Any other thoughts? I'm starting to think they might be the wrong HLA's, therefor the HLA may have impacted the valve instead of taking up the lash and hey presto, broken rocker arm??

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

possible... but didnt you put the new ones next to the old ones to see if they were the same? take one out and see.

Ride
    xh xr8

hi, on the offchance, been using any aerostart or start ya bastard lately?

Ride
    EF Falcon Wagon

Ok so I took the new ones out and they are slightly longer than the originals! So I'm thinking that when the engine is REALLY hot these slightly longer HLA's arent taking up any lash, and they're being smashed back into the rocker arm when they hit the top of the valve and hey presto, there goes the end of the rocker arm. Sounds plausible to doesn't it? Anyway I purchased a whole new rocker arm and shaft assembly and plonked it in. Was only $100 from the wreckers.

And no I don't use any start-ya bastard or anything. Car has no problems starting.

Oh and by the way, the ticking which I tried to get rid of in the first place is still there. With further investigation I've found that while it sounds like its coming from the top of the engine, when I stick my head under the car it's louder underneath. And it's intermittent as hell, if I plant my foot I can hear it, then it'll disappear, then come back when I'm coasting. And ticking frequency increases in line with engine revs. So strange. Any thoughts? (sorry for the thesis!)

Ride
    zh,ea,ebford,hilux

starter ring gear on flex plate--sounds like rivets are loose alowing ring gear to rattle.

Ride
    EF Falcon Wagon

Would the ring gear make the ticking noise? Wouldn't it just rattle like crazy?

Also, would driving the car in the condition cause any damage? Its running almost perfectly.

Ride
    1996 nf fairlane v8

just a thought as i don't know if your car has roller rockers or pushrod rockers but when working on a car years ago i changed all the hydrolic lifters and still had ticking, this had me that stressed out to the point i was going to take to the car with a sledge hammer until my father told me to measure the rockers and bugger me several were different lengths. apparently back in years passed shonky pricks that were too slack to change the lifters just shaved a little off the rockers with an angle grinder to shut the ticking up,slackers. When i got the rqd rockers from the wreckers the car was as quiet as a mouse. Hope this is of some use as i'm not very familiar with your model.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

are you using 15/40 oil?

Ride
    EF Falcon Wagon

Ok guys, took my car to the Ford dealer today and they diagnosed the fault immediately: loose torque convertor bolts! After the dramas I've had I didn't know whether to cry, or laugh that its something so simple! Now just need to take it in on saturday morning and they can fix it within the hour for about 60 bucks.
    Thanks heaps to everyone who posted!

Ride
    EF Falcon Wagon

Yep problem fixed. 2 of the torque convertor bolts were loose. Got them tightened and all good!! I'm sure there's a good lesson in this story somewhere...

Ride
    1996 nf fairlane v8

good to hear it's fixed.As for the lesson to learned, i think it is sometimes you need to put down the spanners, go to the pub and get a fresh perpective as cars can do do your head in sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information