+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's in a Mac?

Ride
    93' ED Fairmont

Question What's in a Mac?

G'day all. After using a largely dominated OS like Microsoft for the past 8 years and overall being less than satisfied with it, my interest may point to a Mac computer purchase soon. After test driving one yesterday at a local store, I found a stylish, clean cut and simple operating system that would be quite capable of performing the same if not a 'little' or a hell of a lot better than XP or Vista.

Less clutter and simple operation is what intrigued me the most and as the salesperson said to me, "you know your way around one of those.... used one before"? "" I said. He then began to go on about it like a usual salesperson would do when your looking at a PC worth around $2,000. Much more than an equivalent Microsoft based system. The Mac OS called 'Snow leopard' or something is quite a stunning looking interface.

Wondering if anyone here has more experience in contemplating buying or owning one of these flash looking PCs and their level of approval of the machine. Another bonus I was told is that Mac computers are impervious to viruses which I found a bit far fetched to believe.

Anyway, share your thoughts if you have any applicable to this computer.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mark73; 08-10-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    "Try anything once.... If it fails, try again!"

Ride
    Territory Ghia

Default Re: What's in a Mac?

Snow Leopard is like a Series Two update to 10.5 Leopard.

I'm talking to you through an iMac C2D, 2.4GHz. I love it to bits, and I've been Mac only since 1998!

What do you want to know? It is virtually impossible to get a Virus on a Mac. Let's start with the fact that you need an Administrator Password to install anything major. Normal installs are just drag and drop, no annoying screens, just drag to Applications, and open.

Feel free to ask any questions - it is a bit hard to answer something you don't know the question too. The answer usually ends up at 42.

Just a last thing. My Bittorrent computer is a PowerMac G3. My first Mac. It is now twelve years old, and still chugging away on the second most recent Mac OS - 10.4.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Ride
    93' ED Fairmont

Post Re: What's in a Mac?

Hi Paxton, thanks for your reply. ATM, I'm a beginner when it comes to Mac based PCs so I won't bombard you with questions I'm uncertain about asking! I've actually been doing some research on the Apple website and find it quite informative, simple and functional as opposed to Microsoft's site which is a never ending assortment of misinformation and jargon of confusing links for solutions to fixing problems and the like. Quicktime is necessary to view some things on the Apple site being a Microsoft PC that I own.

The salesperson I spoke to yesterday said a similar thing to you with the Administrative Passwords and enhanced protection from on line threats on these PCs, so I'll take your word for it. It obviously works a hell of allot better in protecting the PC from any intrusion attack than Vista's UAC which I find annoying and a hindrance at the best of times. I've turned it off and elect to use Encrypted settings with information of value to me. It's still confusing and time consuming to have this done though.

To me, Mac has simply been designed better with user intervention in mind here and the overall design aspects of the system where everything is integrated is good. A glass screen and aluminium case certainly reflects the price tag on these machines. I don't mind spending the money on something if it's a worthwhile investment and I'm sure that these computers satisfy that requirement well. I've heard allot more positive reviews about them than negative. Unlike Microsoft. Perhaps MS may get it right with Windows 7 (which I don't like anyway).

If MS fails with their 7th version of Windows, I feel Apple will run the gauntlet and take over for the first time in history.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mark73; 08-10-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    Snow Leopard is like a Series Two update to 10.5 Leopard.

I'm talking to you through an iMac C2D, 2.4GHz. I love it to bits, and I've been Mac only since 1998!

What do you want to know? It is virtually impossible to get a Virus on a Mac. Let's start with the fact that you need an Administrator Password to install anything major. Normal installs are just drag and drop, no annoying screens, just drag to Applications, and open.

Feel free to ask any questions - it is a bit hard to answer something you don't know the question too. The answer usually ends up at 42.

Just a last thing. My Bittorrent computer is a PowerMac G3. My first Mac. It is now twelve years old, and still chugging away on the second most recent Mac OS - 10.4.
    Snow Leopard makes Microsoft count the days...
    Remember Apple once sold more PC's than Microsoft did till Windows 95.
    XP is a good operating system but its getting dated and with Vista/7
    having no core improvements to performance or security it looks like its
    going to be repeated. Its poor memory management , no virtualisation,
    archaic hard drive file system reliability are pathetic for a operating system being
    sold in 2009. As for Steve Ballmer- Marketing, Marketing, Marketing...

OSX 10.6 quite a impressive operating system. Much less hard drive fat than windows
    vista or 7 new graphics and core engines (for faster cpu/gpu stuff) and some app updates
    along the way. Make a noticable difference on my MacBook Pro. It includes
    real multi-core support as well. Run bootcamp if you have no choice but
    to run XP still.

There is a learning curve from Windows but essentially control panel and the
    sidebar are replaced with icons and menu's which essentially do the same thing.
    Also possibly the best thing about it- it has a UNIX core so its security
    is possible one of the best around- and its price makes you not even
    bother to get it on warez either. Microsoft competitor -Midori is still on
    the drawing board.

Quote-
    Microsoft appears to be assembling its game plan for the day when the Windows client OS as it has been developed for the past 20 years becomes obsolete. The incubation project, also known as Midori, seeks to create a componentized, Net-centric OS, based on connected systems - one that largely eliminates dependencies between local apps and the hardware on which they run. SDTimes is also featuring an article that has some more details about Midori.

http://www.osnews.com/story/20129/Mi...me_for_Windows
    you can only push OS/2 code so far...(who remembers the 'colloborative' project between Microsoft and IBM on the first 32bit OS-
    Windows NT-OS/2 share the same memory management isues back in 1991.
    http://www.osnews.com/story/20129/Mi...me_for_Windows
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 10-10-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Ride
    Territory Ghia

ElSpeedo - here I was thinking you were a Linux nerd.
    Last edited by Paxton; 15-10-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Ride
    93' ED Fairmont

Question Re: What's in a Mac?

How exactly does Linux compare to licensed OS software and is it difficult to use? I haven't done allot of research on Linux except I know that it is best suited for developers and IT persons and of course being open source software, it doesn't require a licence or purchase of such.

So how many people actually use the 'Tux' Penguin mascot software these days and is it (or can it) as functional as Microsoft or Apple with supporting well known software that we are accustomed to using? What about security and risks of intrusion attack?

Cheers
    Last edited by Mark73; 15-10-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
    ElSpeedo - here I was thinking you were a Linux nerd.
    I am a multi-platform person. From Commodorre 64 to present I am literate.
    Linux is just my favorite car in the garage or the plane right up along the
    end of the runway tucked away in a HAS

Linux even with billionaire Proponents like Shuttleworth know it will take 10 years
    for Linux to gain dominance. Microsoft will still exist probably with their own Unix flavour
    like Apple ironically. Generally though it will spread more in the East than
    West lately as some realise the business price/performance/reliability ratio and the user
    community support as well as the high-level coportate support by IBM/Novell
    who make Microsoft support seemed run by a pack of Esperanto speaking
    Neanderthals.

Your operating system uses a UNIX core so it cannot be half that bad. With over
    50 years of development its the grand daddy of operating system- and for
    those who know the history of Microsoft they are like Norton they borrow (OS/2=NT/2000/XP)
    or buy more code than they actually create inhouse they days. IBM/Intel
    I think have now checkmated Microsoft now in the economic downturn
    I wonder who can weather the storm. HP have even whispered about
    a home user version of Linux on its systems. Its much easier making
    a system secure if you have the code to make it...

Pearl and Python scripts are my forte. Thats pure Linux as well as the command
    line format- which has now been immortalised by keyboard warriors now
    its a unnoficial pseudonym for the system. Cryptic but once you master
    it- you wonder what you were using all this time. But the Mac does
    make the X experience much more usable for everyday folks.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 16-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Ride
    Ford Fairmont AU II

Mac OS X is Unix 3.0
    Linux is the cousin of Unix

thats the way i say it to people

Ride
    AUII XR6 VCT Manual

Mark no computer is impervious to viruses, doesnt matter what OS you have they all can be infected. It just that Windows is much more likely to be infected due to the numbers, and as a result being targeted more.

As for what computer to get, think of what you will be needing it for and then get an OS/Computer to suit. Though linux/Mac OS can do most things what Windows can do and sometimes better. If you do go the Linux route it can be harder to get new hardware to work with it, as vendors dont support it as much as Windows/Mac, but that is slowly changing. If you still want to try linux, which I suggest you do as its a great OS, get onto this site http://distrowatch.com/ and get a live CD/DVD, this will allow you to try linux without having to install it.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by maryusdemetry View Post
    Like ELSpeedo I am a multi-platform person, Linux for general use(internet, chat, officce), Win for gaming and Mac for edit audio and video
    Im just one better than that I run Windows inside UNIX by emulation, that is if your CPUx can handle the throughput
    you can emulate MAC the same way with more than 1 video card is better. So technically that Linux+VM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information