+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AU Airbag warning light codes

Ride
    AUII XR8

Default AU Airbag warning light codes

Hi all

Can anyone direct me to a list of the airbag light warning codes for an AUII XR8? Or more specifically, what is a 32 code?

Thanks

Rob

Ride
    AU3 XL traytop

Default Re: AU Airbag warning light codes

"Driver airbag circuit open".

Ride
    AUII XR8

Thanks Lofty - any suggestions on where to look?

Ride
    AU3 XL traytop

Clockspring? Just a wild guess.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    AU II Fairlane Ghia

Fault Code 32

Drive Side Air Bag High Resistance or Open in Circuit

Circuit Description

Normal Operation

The diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W) and pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) every time the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the air bag itself (approximately 1.0 ohms) and the clockspring windings (approximately 0.25 to 0.5 ohms per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits exceeds 4.0 ohms, this indicates a high resistance and the diagnostic monitor will flash code 32.

NOTE:
    The connectors for the air bag and the clockspring have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the air bag.

The clockspring shorting bar may be removed to measure the clockspring resistance. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to ensure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes

Excessive resistance across pins 10 and 11 can be caused by:

1. A poor connection where the clockspring connects into the main wiring harness. The clockspring connector at the base of the steering column may have excessive resistance between the male and female terminals in the connector.

2. An open circuit or high resistance in the clockspring windings inside the clockspring assembly.

3. An open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness in either Circuit 614 (GY/O) or Circuit 615 (GY/W).

4. An open circuit or high resistance in the driver side air bag. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the air bag. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the air bag resistance is higher than normal.

Ride
    AU3 XL traytop

Dude, you're a legend for typing all that!

Ride
    AUII XR8

Thanks to all for the information. It was a broken clock spring fixed for $309 by the local dealer. Pretty annoying in an 8 year old car that's travelled only 55K km but c'est la vie.

Cheers

Rob

Forum Regular
    Ride
    99 AU1 Forte Wagon

awesome to hear ya got it sorted!

I have the Airbag code 33 coming up on my dash. Could this be clock sping related issue like code 32? The horn still works when the code is flashed on the dash.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    AU II Fairlane Ghia

Resistor or Passenger Airbag High Resistance or Open Circuit

Ride
    ford au I falcon

hi first time posting
    Please allow for my inexperience but how do read the codes? and how do i understand what they mean?

Ride
    AU3 SR

Quote Originally Posted by simsy22 View Post
    hi first time posting
    Please allow for my inexperience but how do read the codes? and how do i understand what they mean?
    If there is a fault the warning light will flash the code to you several times (3 i think?) with pauses between each number of flashes.

Ride
    ford au I falcon

thanks for that does anybody have a complete list of the codes as the codes i am getting are not listed on any of the lists i can find the codes i am getting are 18 and then 47?

Ride
    AU3 SR

thanks for that does anybody have a complete list of the codes as the codes i am getting are not listed on any of the lists i can find the codes i am getting are 18 and then 47?
    I am also getting code 47. Any information on this particular code would be great!

Ride
    ford au I falcon

hi all
    just got the phone to Metro Ford the codes relate to the seatbelt pretentioner on the passenger side code 18 means Short to earth or short to battery still not sure how to fix this other than getting a new one and even then it may not be the seat the problem may be upstream and code 47 means low resistance best bet is that the plug is undone under the passengers seat as i had that error come up after disconnecting the plug

Ride
    AU3 SR

hi all
    just got the phone to Metro Ford the codes relate to the seatbelt pretentioner on the passenger side code 18 means Short to earth or short to battery still not sure how to fix this other than getting a new one and even then it may not be the seat the problem may be upstream and code 47 means low resistance best bet is that the plug is undone under the passengers seat as i had that error come up after disconnecting the plug
    Hmm just reseated my passenger cable and still getting code 47. Do these codes mean that the airbag will not deploy? Wonder what else it might be, i hear that getting a scan and these things fixed isnt normally cheap..

Ride
    AU3 SR

Went back out and turned my ignition on, but plugged my passenger seat belt in and pulled on it to make sure there was still "tension" there, and the code 47 went away. No idea what made it do it, but just thought i would post so you can try.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information